Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-02-2022, 09:42 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Burlington Flats , New York
Painting 78 Argosy Minuet

We are planning to have our Argosy professionally painted in the near future. What paint is recommended? Is a regular auto body shop able to do it? Should the windows be removed first and new caulk applied or can we just have it painted as is, and deal with the windows later? Right now nothing is leaking.
angellhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 01:12 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
Auburn , Washington
Hello angellhill,

I have looked into this recently for my own project and this is what I have found.

If your having it painted professionally then the painters should know the best paint to use. Aluminium gets painted all the time and they shouldn't have an issue. If you want to know for your own info then you can go into most automotive paint shops and they can run you through the best primers, paints, colors ect.

I had ask a couple of body shops in my area if they would paint my trailer. It seems a big limiting factor is the size of their paint booths. I am also sure it had to do with the number of cars they could be painting under an insurance claim in the same time it does to do a trailer. They were nice enough to point me in the direction of people who could handle the project. I know there are companies that do Semi truck and trailer painting but I haven't tried to contact one of them yet.

As far as doing the work before having it painted well that's up to you. I would do it because if I had to fix a leak it's never a simple matter to pop a window out or fix a seam. Makes it that much harder if your worried about scratching your paint job. After the repairs it will have to be repainted again since rivets don't come color matched. It is also said that paint also help seal joints and fine cracks too. If nothing is leaking then go for it. Why fix a problem you don't have.

Hope this helps. If nothing else you got to post a picture of what it looks like all painted up.

Dave
Biggmixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 05:35 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Burlington Flats , New York
Thanks for your advice and tips. Makes sense about leaving the windows, as they aren't leaking now. I'll keep you posted as we find out what's available in our area.
Debbie
angellhill is offline   Reply With Quote