Old 06-04-2012, 05:41 PM   #21
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut1269 View Post
Wow....you guys weren't kidding....I DID get a good deal....that one that just sold on Ebay for just over 3 Gs? Holy smokes!

So....I went to change that tire today...and I did it the easy/lazy way with one of those wheel chock lift things you drive up onto. When I drove up onto it, the back axle did not drop like you guys suggested....so, I guess Axles are in my future. I went to a site called Inland something or other and they have them, but there are options and all that I guess I have to investigate further. I'm hoping these are affordable....as I'm a disabled vet on limited income. I can't find a ballpark price anywhere....without having to call someone.

As far as the color....it has to change. I want to take the layers off, which I guess I will do by blasting it....and I found a pic of one with the original colors....the lt beige top and met brown lower....with the orange strip....I LOVE THAT! (if that's the colors shown here, anyway.... http://www.airforums.com/forums/f349...2-a-87061.html)
Let me know if you want/need help with the axles when the time comes...I NEED a vacation to the OBX area. and yes I am serious!

Colin is on the East Coast and I would think you might save on shipping.

I would not suggest blasting unless you can find a very soft media, the side and roof panels are relatively thin aluminum sheets, end caps are most likely galvanized steel, possibly fiberglass.

No there won't typically be gray tanks on a 1972, you can get one of the wheeled blue containers or hope there are a lot of thirsty raccoons around your campsite.

What are your sub floors? Some of the Argosys had composite aluminum.

Orange insert is still available, I saw a huge roll of it the last time I was in Out of Doors Mart up near Greensboro.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:06 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If you plan to travel with the trailer then axles are in your future. If it will be parked for any significant time while you're fixing it up. Wait on the axles. If it is going to sit for 2 years on new axles, it will shorten the life of the axles.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 22
Kitty Hawk , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Let me know if you want/need help with the axles when the time comes...I NEED a vacation to the OBX area. and yes I am serious!
Aaron.....I am camper amateur here. LoL If you know what you are doing....I have a new hotel room in my driveway.....you're welcome anytime!! I would love to drop the belly pan and take a look....clean stuff up....and undercoat. I have to get out there and see if there's numbers on the axles or whatever.....I don't know. Kind of flying by the seat of my pants here. I want to make sure I do everything right, but, being inexperienced, I'm only armed with common sense. LoL For now, I'm still dealing with the tire fiasco from the other day. I need to get another tire and get it on there. Then I need to fix the metal that got chopped up when the tire shredded. Then, I just want to go camping. The axles didn't have a drop to them when I jacked up the trailer on Sunday....but, now that they had a workout being driven 30 miles with only 3 wheels, they DO have the drop. Could I get lucky and clean everything up and lube it real good? Maybe even replace the shocks?

PS...I got the message....I won't be blasting. I did find a post on here about some stuff called Hydrostrip....but it's discontinued.
Wingnut1269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:01 AM   #24
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I would bet the axles are shot. Call Colin for pricing, but IIRC ball park is going to be ~$1600 or so a pair which includes new brakes. I don't recall seeing any numbers or plates on the axles. I think you order them either by dimension or by the serial number on the trailer. A call or email to Colin should clear that up. FWIW give him a bit of time, he was off at a big rally last week and is probably trying to catch up.

I am by no means an Airstream expert, but I have done/still do restoration work on just about anything. I am in the process of rebuilding the holding tank area on my 1975, I had about 40# of rust flakes back there that I believe is what was left of the frames...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:53 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The VIN number plate on my '74 Argosy is just above the water fill door on the front left side of the rig. The axle ratings are listed. When I replaced the axles just a few months ago I noticed the old axles had name plates with the weight ratings and mfg date.
I can give you the specs on my new Axis axles. Then you could check them against your mounting plate dimensions.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:26 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 22
Smacked with a little does of reality this morning. Finally got to show it to the family.....and it's too small. I wanted SO bad for this to work out, I guess I wanted it too bad and I was blinded from reality. Not sure what the future holds for my new friend.....but we may need to sell her and step into something a little bigger.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 22
dose*