Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

St. Robert , Missouri
New to Airstream- Help me identify please

I just bought this rig from a friend. I know very little about it, other than the fact that it was used by another acquaintance of mine who sold jewelry.

It appears to be a mid 70's argosy but it has the curved windows front and back. it looks like it was a factory built vendor trailer since I cant find any trace of the original side door. Its equipped with 2 side gull wing windows, and detachable tongue, full length display cabinets with drawers, lots of lights, etc.

Its a neat rig, it needs some work, but seems pretty solid. I've rebuilt much worse. I'm thinking I might use it for swap meets, or convert it to camper use, or maybe sell it. These things are just too cool to let em go to the scrapper, lol.

I cant find a vin on it anywhere and didnt get a title with it. But if I can locate a vin# on it, I can easily get a title for it. Here are a couple of quick pics. Let me know what you think, any suggestions on the repairs, what its worth, or if I'm just an idiot for draggin the thing home
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	air1.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	292.1 KB
ID:	164238   Click image for larger version

Name:	air2.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	164239  

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	164240  
Mcfly89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Tampa , Florida
I'm inclined to agree with you that it's a custom build as you have what looks like an Argosy with aluminum end caps. anyone know if argosy went without steel ends in the later years? Definitenly worth a fix as many A/S are purchased to convert into the very type of trailer you have there. The flip up side is unique. With no door, how are you supposed to get in it?
inTransit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by inTransit View Post
I'm inclined to agree with you that it's a custom build as you have what looks like an Argosy with aluminum end caps. anyone know if argosy went without steel ends in the later years? Definitenly worth a fix as many A/S are purchased to convert into the very type of trailer you have there. The flip up side is unique. With no door, how are you supposed to get in it?
Hop on the tongue, and crawl thru the front window?
Old 07-30-2012, 06:05 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

St. Robert , Missouri
lol the window over the tongue is hiding the door. once you setup the rig and remove the tongue the door swings open. it would be a nuisance for a camper but it works fine for a vending rig.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
I think that you have a 1980's Airstream. Some of the 1980's models have the wrap around front windows. Posting the VIN should tell all.

BIll
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I would agree that I don't think it is an Argosy, but a later model AS conversion. The segmented end caps scream Airstream. The tail lights also look like Airstream units.

Look on the tongue (removable??) and see if you can find any numbers stamped on it. That should be the VIN. Might be on the bottom of either side of the tongue, or the top, hard to say but that is where the numbers usually are. The VIN will tell the most information.

Yes, it is unusual.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Never seen a travel trailer without an "A" frame type of tongue. The panoramic windows were only used in Argosy's in the 70's. Newer A$'s have the panoramic windows but they are smoked glass, not clear.
This trailer looks like it was customized by some creative person.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:32 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

St. Robert , Missouri
upon closer inspection, the tongue has been modified. it IS an a-frame style that has been cut off at the front of the trailer and refitted with the removable section for security reasons. Gonna be hard to steal a trailer with several thousand dollars worth of gold inside if ya got no way to hook it up to a truck, lol.

Also I confirmed that the windows are tinted and the 80s would make more sense considering the fella that probably ordered it originally. The gull wings do not appear to be the result of a creative person, rather a factory modification. all of the extrusions, rivets, sealant, etc all match throughout the whole trailer, with the exception of the tongue.

I have searched high and low and cannot find a serial number ANYWHERE. did Airstream hide a serial number somewhere along the frame under the bellyskin in a secondary location?

Thank you all so much for the help and insight on this thing. Im also a collector of International Harvester Scouts, old tractors, and all sorts of things that require knowledge from forums like this. You all are indispensable.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:52 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
San Diego , CA
I don't know how dialed in you are to current trends, but out west "food trucks" (what we used to refer to as "roach coach" and refuse to eat at) are now all the gourmet rage, and that thing would be worth a small fortune, as it is perfect for a rig like that.
photomikey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:51 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

St. Robert , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by photomikey View Post
I don't know how dialed in you are to current trends, but out west "food trucks" (what we used to refer to as "roach coach" and refuse to eat at) are now all the gourmet rage, and that thing would be worth a small fortune, as it is perfect for a rig like that.
well if someone would be interested in starting this project before I do, I could EASILY be talked into keeping my eye out for a more standard layout airstream camper.