Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1987 27' Argosy
Blooming Prarie , Minnesota
New owner of '87 argosy

I am new owner of a 87 Argosy. I went to a sport and rv auction yesterday with intentions of not buying much, well once the campers started to sell I realized nobody was really there to buy. So, I purchased this trailer for what I'm hoping was a good deal. My wife and I've been looking at campers for some time but just haven't pulled the trigger. I will officially take possession of this camper tomorrow, but I got no information(manuals or any paperwork) telling me the size or how work anything. To be honest I dont even know how long it is.
Any information would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!
Thank You
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	285.9 KB
ID:	157599  
Apel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
Congratulations! It sounds like my kind of auction. It's nice not to have much competition.
Lisa

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1987 27' Argosy
Ya, out of like 12 rvs, 7 went no sale. There were 2 guys bidding on this trailer so I let them beat on each and then placed a bid and they both went down! I know nothing about these campers and just hope $3000 was worth it. By the way is that a weimar in your picture?
Old 05-06-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
New owner of 87 argosy

Greetings Apel!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage (Second Generation) Argosy ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apel View Post
Ya, out of like 12 rvs, 7 went no sale. There were 2 guys bidding on this trailer so I let them beat on each and then placed a bid and they both went down! I know nothing about these campers and just hope $3000 was worth it. By the way is that a weimar in your picture?
The second generation, square Argosy, coaches were produced in comparatively small numbers and finding one in good condition is a plus. From the outside, the coach looks to be in comparatively good condition, and I suspect that you will find that you have made an average or better deal on the coach's purchase . . . the fewer the problems discovered with mechanical systems and structure . . . the better your buy will be.

You can find some information about your coach in the following links:I double-checked the Airstream corporate website, and despite the fact that they are reproducing many of the first generation Argosy owners' manuals; it does not appear that they are reproducing any of the the second generation Argosy owners' manuals. It might be worth contacting Airstream to inquire whether there are any plans to reproduce any of the second generation Argosy manuals. There is a vendor on E-Bay who has offered many Airstream product manuals on CD or DVD, but I am not sure whether he has offered any second generation Argosy manuals. I am not certain whether Secretarial Services is still in operation in Jackson Center, Ohio; when they were in full operation, they offered photocopies of owners' manuals as well as service manuals . . . I haven't heard anything about their activities since Airstream began offering reproduction manuals.

Good luck with your Argosy! I am sure that it will provide many years of enjoyment.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
What a deal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apel View Post
What an awesome deal! You did very well. Happy camping!

In the picture, the big boy is a Chesapeake Bay Retriever named Goliath.

Lisa

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:03 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1987 27' Argosy
Picked up the Argosy tonight, Pulls like a dream behind my old suburban. I was lucky enough to get the old owners phone # and to my surprise it was an old classmate's dad. After speaking with him he informed me all manuals and paperwork were under the couch(thank god)! But he did break some bad news, hot water heater doesn't work, he thinks it is the thermo coupler. Anyone have any suggestions for that? Otherwise all systems ago and my wife and kids are super excited to go camping soon I will post pics in the near future
Old 05-08-2012, 07:00 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Grand Rapids , Michigan
I just got a 1986.5 argosy and i can tell by the outside of yours that it must be a different floor plan. Can you post some pictures of the inside of yours? We are loving ours i am sure you will grow to love yours.
Tesseract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:07 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1987 29' Argosy
Abbotsford , British Columbia
I bought an 29' 1987 Argosy in Feb of 2012. We love ours as well. I have the factory owners manual and lots of other documentation that came with it, including the cassette tape that you were supposed to put in the tape player to introduce you to the Airstream experience. Feel free to ask me some questions and I can try to scan the pages out of my manual and email them to you.
Squarepants is offline   Reply With Quote