Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2012, 06:58 PM   #1

1976 Argosy 26
Omaha , Nebraska
New Owner of 1976 Argosy 26'

We just got our 1976 Argosy 26 and are very excited. We ripped out the old carpet and have begun cleaning it. Thus far there is only a little floor rot next to the door...whew! We have decided against gutting it and will be updating one project at a time. We are thinking the best things to start on are to make sure it is all leak proof, as we have it stored outdoors. I sure wish we had a big workshop to store it in! So our labor of love begins...

Jackalope
76 Jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
New Owner of 1976 Argosy 26

Greetings Jackalope!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Argosy ownership!

You are on a good track . . . getting any leaks corrected will prevent further damage and hopefully keep the area(s) needing repair small. I susect that one of the items that you find allowing moisture in will be one or more window, door, and compartment gaskets/seals . . . a bad gasket/seal also permits dust to enter while towing down the road.

Once watertight, you may want to consider axles and brakes . . . inspecting the frame as much as is possible while in the area. You will likely hear this from a number of Agrosy owners . . . a rock guard for the front Panoramic windows is a near necessity as those clear deep-wrap wing windows ar no longer available from Airstream . . . the current replacements are the solar tinted units installed in new Airstreams . . . the cost of the three-piece Airstream rock guard is approximately what one new replacement wing window would cost.

Enjoy your Argosy . . . the 26-foot floorplan is my favorite for longer expeditions. . . .

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
Welcome. It sounds like my plans. Then, after I really inspected my 28', the list grew, and grew, and grew. LOL
Old 07-15-2012, 07:53 PM   #4

1976 Argosy 26
Omaha , Nebraska
We covered the windows with a temporary cover on the way home with it, as we were aware of the priceless panoramic windows! They made it home safely. All the windows appear to need new seals. It has the original dometic fridge (unknown if it still works), 1989 suburban furnace, and appears to have some updated electrical stuff, but we need to have this all checked out. The AC appears to be in bad shape. The wall coverings on the divider walls and upper cabinets is bubbling and coming off, so we are researching the best way to recover these (ideas?). All of the tambor doors are good, curtains will need replaced, and there are no mattresses for the twin beds or gaucho couch. Lots of work!

Thanks for the tips as we take on this most awesome project! We have always dreamed of having an airstream trailer, so this is a big deal for us, as I am sure it is for many others when they get their new (old) airstream.

Jackalope
Old 07-15-2012, 07:56 PM   #5

1976 Argosy 26
Omaha , Nebraska
Rogerdodger - that is what we are afraid of! Tight budget, so baby steps it will have to be!
Old 07-15-2012, 09:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I have a '74 Argosy 26'. I live as far west in Nebraska as you live east. I'm not sure how much difference there is between your '76 and my '74. But will be glad to lend whatever help I can.
My trailer still has the original refer. The PO had removed it but still had it. Said it didn't work. I took it with me when we drove back to our home near Henry, NE. I was able to get it to work at relatively little expense. That was almost 3 years ago and it is still working great.
If you go to my blog you can see some photos of my progress.
Again, glad to lend a hand.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I'm not sure what your plans are for your trailer. It sounds like it will be some time before you are ready for traveling any great distance.
As mentioned earlier. It is important to locate and repair the leaks. Especially any leak that water can enter the unit.
Since like most if us, your budget is limited. I would suggest setting priorities based on your planned use of the trailer.
If you prioritize the needs. It will help. It's really easy to put bucket's full of money into a project like this. Axles for example can cost close to $1,500.00. If you will have the trailer parked for an extended period of time before traveling. I would put off buying and installing axles until you are ready to roll. Even new axles will deteriorate if the trailer sits for a year or two without moving.
In my case I took on the plumbing first since there were signs of the original copper plumbing freezing in numerous places. All new PEX tubing, new toilet and water heater. New galley and bath sink. With minor repairs the pump still worked.
You should make sure the three holding tanks are functional along with the valves for emptying the tanks.
All of this is assuming you have already established the structural integrity of the trailer is sound. And the water leaks have been repaired.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:03 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Blandon , Pennsylvania
Hello Jackalope...

I also have a '76 26 Argosy and bought it two years ago. We spent the first summer working on it. If I can suggest anything, I would replace the axles, brakes, shocks and tires (if the tires are cracked).. I did not replace them right away because of cost, and instead put money in the interior. I can't say enough about how much better the trailer tows with new axles and larger brakes which I upgraded. Talk to Andy at Inland RV, as he helped me out and has a lot of Airstream/Argosy knowledge, as do many others here in the forums. I have about $4000 invested on top of the $1000 I spent for the TT itself.

Sounds like you have 2 twin beds as opposed to the fold out double bed unit. I would love to see pictures of yours...

If I can help, let me know... Love to see Argosys rolling down the road!

You can find my thread with some pictures a little further down in this topic. (It says Argosy 24, thought that's what it was at first)

Best of luck to you!!
lpgasguy is offline   Reply With Quote