Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-27-2013, 08:45 AM   #1
WI-78ArgMin6.7

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Franklin , Wisconsin
Need inside door lock for '78 Argosy Minuet

Need help...see attached pics.
Is there a proper inside door lock for the Argosy Minuet. Wouldn't it have to be placed on the door behind the plastic square piece of the screen door and the mechanism be internal to the main door & door jam (rather than a bolt lock)?
A sliding/bolt lock would have difficulty going over the screen door square/open portion of the door. I thought of having a bolt lock attached to the screen door only but that wouldn't be as strong as a lock attached to the inside main door.
Your advice is always appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	argosyinsidedoor1.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	184323  
ArgosyMinuet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgosyMinuet View Post
Need help...see attached pics.
Is there a proper inside door lock for the Argosy Minuet. Wouldn't it have to be placed on the door behind the plastic square piece of the screen door and the mechanism be internal to the main door & door jam (rather than a bolt lock)?
A sliding/bolt lock would have difficulty going over the screen door square/open portion of the door. I thought of having a bolt lock attached to the screen door only but that wouldn't be as strong as a lock attached to the inside main door.
Your advice is always appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Bill
You have a KT lock which was used on the 1970 to 1977 models.

Please check the serial number of your Argosy.

The little knob, just to the left of the interior handle, allows you to lock the door from the inside.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:03 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I am not sure just what your question is. Are you looking for a supplemental way to lock the door? The main lock on the one you show is the little knurled knob just in front of the door handle in your photo. Slide it up and it locks the door the same way the key does from outside.

If you want an extra lock, like a deadbolt, you can put one in the trailer side of the door (not in the door) and grind the sliding pin down significantly so it can go into a small hole in the door itself. You can even have one with an extra keyed lock from the outside. The door itself is not thick though, so you need to be sure your hole is small enough so it does not compromise the door strength.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master

As per your photo

The upper black and silver mechanism is to attach or separate the screen door to the main door

The lower handle is to open the door( obviously ) The button ( I guess it is supposed to be a thumb screw, but mine is just a bolt ) to the left of the handle is the door lock. Slide it up and down to lock and unlock the door.

My girlfriend tried to open the door to get in when it was locked, and ended up breaking the lock. The guts of the lock are expensive and a little hard to find. So now I am afraid to lock the door.

Sorry if that wasn't your question and you already knew that
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
WI-78ArgMin6.7

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Franklin , Wisconsin
Dumb and dumber

To All:
Thanks for your replies...
For these past three years I noticed that small knob to the left of the inside handle and noticed it would turn but could not figure out how to lock the door(just by pushing it down). Today, my wife & I looked at it and turned the locking key and noticed the small rod pushed downward & realized the secret. I then went back online and looked at your replies.

Great news..no need to buy an inside lock...I already have it!
& I go down in history as dumb & dumber...
Oh well, I'm a novice to this and appreciate so much being part of the air stream forum.
Thanks to everyone!
Bill
ArgosyMinuet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:02 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Regardless of the door lock. You need to prevent the door from flying open while going down the road.
Installing a dead bolt lock or using one of the many block ideas here on the forum is highly recommended.
Another bit of advice. Don't slam the door shut. Slamming the door will eventually damage the internal parts of the KT lock. Hold the handle out when closing the door, then release the handle. The same goes for the inside handle, hold it in the open position when closing the door, then release the handle.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:26 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
Alamogordo , New Mexico
Another KT Lock issue

So... I'm going to the Vintage Trailer Academy next week. I've had my 1972 Argosy (26') for 2 months, and I haven't done anything buy tow her home and take her to the DMV to get the title transferred. I also bought the tow vehicle that had been with her for many years. The deal for the 2 of them was way too good to pass up. But I digress.

The issue with my lock is that I can't open the door from the inside! It latches just fine from the outside, but the inside handle is useless.. doesn't open the door latch. How can I lock my door when I take her to the trailer academy? If I close the door I'm locked IN, but anyone else can open it from the outside. Trying to think of a temporary fix. I'm thinking about just using duct tape to hold the latch on the door down while I'm inside and somehow bungy-ing the door shut when I"m inside. I know I'll need to take apart the door at some point, but can anyone think of a temporary fix?
BentMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:26 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentMetal View Post

The issue with my lock is that I can't open the door from the inside! It latches just fine from the outside, but the inside handle is useless.. doesn't open the door latch. How can I lock my door when I take her to the trailer academy? If I close the door I'm locked IN, but anyone else can open it from the outside. Trying to think of a temporary fix. I'm thinking about just using duct tape to hold the latch on the door down while I'm inside and somehow bungy-ing the door shut when I"m inside. I know I'll need to take apart the door at some point, but can anyone think of a temporary fix?
The lock is fairly easy to remove from the door for a fix. There are 3 screws inside, and one long one from the door edge. Then take the inside door handle off (one screw, underside) and the knurled inside lock pin out (it unscrews). The lock should then come out from the outside with a little prying on the inside metal.

Once out, you can look at it to see why the inside door handle does not operate the latch. There is not very much tricky about it, and you may just have a rusted or missing roll pin which needs replacing, or something of that type.

So, you probably can fix it in the same time it would take to jury rig a solution to the problem with chewing gum and duct tape...grin.

Do a search in the forums for Keeler lock repairs or lock repairs 1971 to 1975. Lots has been written on it.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:27 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
Alamogordo , New Mexico
Thanks idroba

Ok. I'm going to try that. Thanks. The little knurl lock thing is missing, though.
BentMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:40 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Milton , Ontario
BentMetal,

I think that you will find the thread where the knob is/was, to be a 'Standard' thread. which means you could find something at the local Lowes/Home Depot/hardware store, to screw on that thread.

Or, Vintage Trailer Supply, might have one is stock?

Good Luck!
Chris
newsgauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:45 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentMetal View Post
Ok. I'm going to try that. Thanks. The little knurl lock thing is missing, though.
Parts stocking Airstream dealers will have that knurled pin.

Non dealers seldom have original Airstream parts ,since they cannot buy anything from the factory, unless they are at Jackson Center, and pay retail price.

That is an agreement Airstream has with all of it's dealers, to protect the dealers investments.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:07 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The last price I saw on the little Knurled pin was an astounding $35. And not even gold plated....grin. But you can use a standard bolt and two jamb nuts to substitute until your ship comes in. (and I have an extra, he he)
Old 04-30-2013, 04:16 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If you go to an auto parts store. Ask for a 1" shoulder bolt with 6-32 threads. If it is not 6-32 it will be 8-32. Just can't remember.
If it costs a Buck, I'd be surprised.
A place like Fastenal will have them or they will order them. But you have to buy in lots of 25. Plenty of spares though.
Of course you could always sell them to other A$ owners. $16.00 would be a bargain compared to the price of the knurled one. LOL
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote