Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-27-2013, 05:47 AM   #1
BJH
1 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Springtown , Texas
My new canvas rockguards

Just got my new canvas rockguards from Hornsby Canvas yesterday. If any body has had experience installing the clips I would sure appreciate any advice. I am wondering mainly if it is OK to drill and rivet into the window frames. Thanks in advance.
BJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Dry Fork , West Virginia
soft rock guards

Greetings - I have also bought the soft rock guards and am seeking advice and pictures of how to install. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
leherrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Pics please?????

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Be very careful of drilling into the window frame as you can hit the glass and cause it to shatter. I would only drill into the skin, outside the window. That is where I put my clips on my home made Argosy window covers.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
As long as you are in line with the frame rivets you are OK.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
Hamilton , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventport View Post
As long as you are in line with the frame rivets you are OK.
I had similar questions regarding my DIY rock guards, the skin is awfully soft, but if you keep to the outside of the frame, you should be okay to mount the snaps to the frame.
Savage68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
1995 36' Cutter Bus LE
Largo, Florida , Florida
Please send a pic of your soft/canvas rockguards
brodjeaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:52 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Normandy Park , Washington
Seems to me that there must be a way to attach the rock guards with heavy duty suction cups...you know the ones with a lever that lock them down?

With as much smooth sheet metal I would think this could be an ideal way to do as you could remove the suction cups along with the guards and leave the Argosy untouched.

Has anyone tried this?

Dan
Dan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:05 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
Hamilton , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Seems to me that there must be a way to attach the rock guards with heavy duty suction cups...you know the ones with a lever that lock them down?

With as much smooth sheet metal I would think this could be an ideal way to do as you could remove the suction cups along with the guards and leave the Argosy untouched.

Has anyone tried this?

Dan
Very interesting concept. I was thinking of using the glass as an adhesion point, however, in either case it would have to del with temp extremes as well as vibration and shock.

I still lean forwards some type of fastener.

Btw, one of my concepts uses sheet aluminum held on by tension locks.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:28 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Dry Fork , West Virginia
Great ideas - I wonder how well anything other than fasteners would hold up to the wind forces of interstate driving - vibration - etc.

I was thinking of sewing a series of strong rare earth magnets into a webbing I would sew across the top which would also link the two together. Taking advantage of the steel in the cap. The sides and bottom could be secured with velcro.

This would avoid drilling into my trailer. But would probably just look worse. Will most likely just suck it up and drill baby drill. Along the rivet line - as recommended and as designed. I am feeling ridiculous. Bought the trailer two years ago for $5,000 and have been fixing it up with new paint outside and cleaned up interior.

... Now designing a carport for it and afraid to take it on the road - now that I have the rock guards - someway think would be tempting karma not to use them.

Go figure -
leherrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
Hamilton , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by leherrick View Post
Great ideas - I wonder how well anything other than fasteners would hold up to the wind forces of interstate driving - vibration - etc.

I was thinking of sewing a series of strong rare earth magnets into a webbing I would sew across the top which would also link the two together. Taking advantage of the steel in the cap. The sides and bottom could be secured with velcro.

This would avoid drilling into my trailer. But would probably just look worse. Will most likely just suck it up and drill baby drill. Along the rivet line - as recommended and as designed. I am feeling ridiculous. Bought the trailer two years ago for $5,000 and have been fixing it up with new paint outside and cleaned up interior.

... Now designing a carport for it and afraid to take it on the road - now that I have the rock guards - someway think would be tempting karma not to use them.

Go figure -
Actually, the steel end caps could be drilled and tapped, just spread the load over a wide enough area, much better than the aluminum.
I really like the angle alum brackets, great execution.
I'm heading up to the big city (Missoula) for a checkup w the VA medic and then I'll hit the futon shop (new gaucho), fabric shop for possible rock guard material, Costco and possibly BretzRV for a brake controller.
There is a guy in east Missoula that restores A$, might wander over there in search of an AC unit....
Old 06-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
Hamilton , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage68 View Post

Actually, the steel end caps could be drilled and tapped, just spread the load over a wide enough area, much better than the aluminum.
I really like the angle alum brackets, great execution.
I'm heading up to the big city (Missoula) for a checkup w the VA medic and then I'll hit the futon shop (new gaucho), fabric shop for possible rock guard material, Costco and possibly BretzRV for a brake controller.
There is a guy in east Missoula that restores A$, might wander over there in search of an AC unit....

The guy in East Missoula is mintageairstream.com....
Old 07-29-2013, 07:45 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Robinson , Illinois
I'm going to try to upload some pics here that may be helpful if it's not already too late. Posting pics doesn't always work out the way I'd like so let's just see what we get.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0245.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	387.4 KB
ID:	192001

Name:	166.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	192002

Name:	171.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	539.3 KB
ID:	192003

This rockguard as nearly as I can determine was an option purchased by the OO. I really like the coppery finish. I'm going to have a friend from work that does upholstering make me a new one and I hope we can find material that looks like this, or can be made to. I also plan to have him make an extra "insert" pad that fastens to the back with Velcro, it will have either a firm foam (PVA ?) or rubber, along the lines of a nice springy floor mat, not the really hard stuff.

In any case, the pics show the placement of the snaps for mine, and the trailer piece of the snap is fastened with Philips head screws. I hope this is of some use.
rattlehead78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Spruce Grove , Alberta
hey, here is the post and pics from another thread.
my argosy came with doo dads already installed, so I just had to make the cover. as the post explains, it serves several purposes and the only draw back, is moisture collection if you don't take it off and let it dry out.
hope someone can enjoy, or appreciate the information.
janel.p
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...et-9638-5.html
Janel.P is offline   Reply With Quote