Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-28-2007, 06:31 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Minuet

The six Metre has been delivered. The fun has already begun. I will post photos as progress dictates. This morning I removed and reworked the lock, cleaned and straightned the roll pin. It works now. Was able to rebend the door per instructions on this site. Thanks folks for all the help with that one. Can't decide exactly what to do next there is so much. Cleaning first I guess that will make the rest more enjoyable.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:12 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1959 22' Caravanner
candler , North Carolina
Good luck on your project! I have been working on my 6.7 minuet off and on for about four months now. New water lines, new water heater, sewer dump valves and removing the original carpet. I installed a bamboo floor, looks pretty nice.
MINUETS ARE THE BEST
jeffinwnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
The Minuets are so unique and desirable. Lucky you to find one to make your own! ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Laguna Beach , California
Congrats on your new Baby! I wish you lot's of luck with making her your own, I checked your Gallery page, you make beautiful canoes! And they look like they're very light! Also your turned wood bowls...exquisite!
I'll look forward to seeing your posts with pics...
Debra

https://www.debraschottfineart.blogspot.com
Babeebloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 11:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Good luck with that new project. It will be rewarding. I too looked at your link and very impressed with the workmanship of the canoes. I love quality woodworking. To me that is the heart of industrial arts.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 12:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce
The six Metre has been delivered. The fun has already begun. I will post photos as progress dictates. This morning I removed and reworked the lock, cleaned and straightned the roll pin. It works now. Was able to rebend the door per instructions on this site. Thanks folks for all the help with that one. Can't decide exactly what to do next there is so much. Cleaning first I guess that will make the rest more enjoyable.
First and best project to attack, is to make the trailer weather proof. Everything else can wait.

If the gaskets are all original, then most likely they are all shot.

Check the entrance door gasket, the window gaskets, the access compartment gaskets, and, the sewer vent pipe gaskets. You will need to remove one of the sewer vent pipe covers that is held in place with 4 screws. You will most likely find those gaskets very bad.

Then, when you have a chance, check the condition of the axle. If it's bad, you will need to make plans for it's future replacement.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:07 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Welcome

I'm sure like the rest of us here, once you get started you just can't stop. Good luck and post some pics.
Excella3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 04:42 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Congrats Royce! The Minuet is ultra cool!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
You will need to remove one of the sewer vent pipe covers that is held in place with 4 screws.
If it has the original plastic vent covers (post 1 & 2), two things: the plastic Argosy covers will fall apart in your hands and if they are original the gaskets will need replacing as a matter of course. So prepare yourself with a gasket kit (part 45701 here) and a new cover. The covers at the same link (part 83595) are polished aluminum -- that's a high price if you're going to scuff them up and epoxy spray paint like I did. You might talk to Oasis RV and see what they have -- their parts dept is very capable of understanding what you want by phone. Be sure and seal under the gasket and around the pipe with some Sikaflex 221.

Get yourself plenty of Sikaflex 221 for other jobs too (instead of Vulkem) and have at it! The gray color works best IMO.

[on edit: found another source but you'd maybe want to cut it down. I wouldn't proceed without checking Oasis 1st -- very quick & inexpensive shipping.]

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:30 AM   #9
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
A new Argosy - very cool! Seriously consider adding rock guards to your project list to protect the front wrap windows. They are no loner available and almost impossible to find if you should break one (road rocks..)

And ....

WE NEED PICTURES!

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:45 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
I'm Argosy challenged soooo...

Janet, Bob and others, This may sound ignorant and I don't really want it to appear that way but... What is it with Argosies that there are some listed as 24 foot and 26 foot etc. and some are listed as 6 metre and 6.7 metre? Are these all different builds or were some built on the metric scale or what? What is the 6 metre = 19.5 feet in length? If so... is the 6.7 metre then = to 21.775 feet? I really want to know! In all my stupidity I want this info so I will know lengths for Argosies that I may want to look at.... Perhaps buy! Thanks, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:47 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Worth looking at

Hello Royce

Was thinking about how your are new and knowing how addictive our hobbies are, thought you might enjoy this link.

The Polishing Guru Past Projects

Enjoy your project and keep us posted.
Excella3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:43 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
The Argosy and the Minuet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52
Janet, Bob and others, This may sound ignorant and I don't really want it to appear that way but... What is it with Argosies that there are some listed as 24 foot and 26 foot etc. and some are listed as 6 metre and 6.7 metre? Are these all different builds or were some built on the metric scale or what? What is the 6 metre = 19.5 feet in length? If so... is the 6.7 metre then = to 21.775 feet? I really want to know! In all my stupidity I want this info so I will know lengths for Argosies that I may want to look at.... Perhaps buy! Thanks, Ed
Kevin Allen is very well versed on the many differences of the Argosy trailer and also the Argosy Minuet. If you search the threads, I am sure you can find the information.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:45 AM   #13
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
What is it with Argosies that there are some listed as 24 foot and 26 foot etc. and some are listed as 6 metre and 6.7 metre?Thanks, Ed
I think that the Argosys with metric Idendtifiers are all Minuets. Minuets are narrower than standard Argosys; they are 7'6"

Standard argosys (with measurments in feet) are the same width as Airstreams of the same period.

AirForums Custom Search
Old 02-01-2007, 10:13 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
A new Argosy - very cool! Seriously consider adding rock guards to your project list to protect the front wrap windows. They are no loner available and almost impossible to find if you should break one (road rocks..)
And Janet? Just how would we know how to do a rock guard installation ... if it weren't for you and member Janet's Husband. Links are here -- html or pdf.

My experience? Do some trial positioning of the wing window guards and the middle guard so you can place the hinges wisely. Aim to leave enough room for the middle guard. Get some helpers.

Of course the above links are for the narrower metric Minuets. The steps for narrowing the middle window guard do not need to be done for non-Minuets!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 02-01-2007, 10:55 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Now just wait one Minuet!!!

Please help me understand this a little better. The Minuet is a model of Argosy correct? Does the 6 Metre stand for width or length? That was really my original question I think. I told you guys I was Argosy challenged didn't I? I really want to know if the title 6 Metre, 6.7 Metre etc stands for length? I see now that the Argosy was as wide as the Airstream trailer but were there two widths of Minuet and is that the reason for the 6 and 6.7? Or was that the length of the trailer. I'm very confused about this issue. Please help me to comprehend this better. Thanks Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:37 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Okay BigEd -- Pardon me. I did see the answer back in post 13 and left this alone. Let's make this clear. In Silverhobby's post 12 he referred to Kevin Allen, aka Overlander64. He is a multigenerational Airstreamer and has graced us with quite a number of old brochure page scans. Using his Argosy album page as a source, take a look at this brochure page describing Minuets.

The 6 metre, 6.7 metre & 7.3 metre (length) Minuets were 20', 22' and 24' long respectively. Janet mentioned the 7'6" width -- I just know they are skinny! Think 'Scamp' trailer on steroids, but suh-weet! My standard 24' Argosy is more like 7'10" outside width.

I know that one Minuet is already signed up to be at the Moraine View rally in June. Member Tikihut will be there with his 6 metre Minuet. We'll have to see if hotLAVA and their 7.3 metre will sign up this year.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 02-01-2007, 12:16 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Thanks for looking and thanks for all the links. It is great to have so many alternative sources of supply. Here is a photo of the rebent door. I didn't get a good photo of before but it was open about 1" top and bottom prior to the muscular repair. Also required a little percussive repair right in the area of the latch. I will have to rivit the interior skin back on but that can wait until the weather is warmer. I havn't cleaned up the duct tape from around the door yet either. Warm weather and a little mineral spirits will take care of that. Photos of the interior and other exterior damage will follow as repairs are made.

Latch area is before and door is after.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Minuetlatch.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	31673   Click image for larger version

Name:	Minuetdoor.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	31674  

'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:48 PM   #18
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Please help me understand this a little better. The Minuet is a model of Argosy correct? Thanks Ed
There are regular Argosy's (made by Airstream) and the length of those models is measured in feet e.g Argosy 20 or Argosy 24.

There are Argosy Minuets (made by Airstream) and their length is measured in meters e.g. 6 Metre, 6.7 metre. Minuets are skinnier than regular Argosys by about 8 inches.

All these units were made between 1974 and 1979. Some were made in CA and some in OH.

AirForums Custom Search
Old 02-01-2007, 03:55 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce
Thanks for looking and thanks for all the links. It is great to have so many alternative sources of supply. Here is a photo of the rebent door. I didn't get a good photo of before but it was open about 1" top and bottom prior to the muscular repair. Also required a little percussive repair right in the area of the latch. I will have to rivit the interior skin back on but that can wait until the weather is warmer. I havn't cleaned up the duct tape from around the door yet either. Warm weather and a little mineral spirits will take care of that. Photos of the interior and other exterior damage will follow as repairs are made.

Latch area is before and door is after.
Beef up the broken area of the door frame at the striker bolt hole.

If not, the door frame will easily get out of shape again.

If possible heliarc that area back together with a beef up plate.

The inside metal, once reattached will not stop the door from getting out of alignment again.

Also, when you reinstall the interior metal "DO NOT" use the original rivet holes. Make all new holes, and rivet them. Lastly, fill in the old stretched out holes with rivets.

That method will insure a long lasting repair job.

Good luck.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 05:26 PM   #20
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Colorado Minuets!!

Hello there - We,too are Minuet owners living in Littleton. Our sweet little Moonunit is a 6.7 metre. Its nice to have another Minuet owner in the area & I see you have also become very engaged in the "restoration process"!!!

If you get to the stage of looking into replacement of the axle, as mentioned earlier, let us know. We have been considering & looking seriously into that particular item for the last year. It might be worth looking into replacement at the same time cost wise (maybe) & also how to info.

Anyway, congrats on the new baby & welcome

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote