Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2014, 12:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Calgary , Alberta
Looking to Purchase an Argosy and need some advice

Hello All,

I have been looking at the argosy trailers for the last year or so and i have just located one that i think is going to work. I have been reading lots about the various things to look at and i have now got stuck with the axles. The current owners do not know if the axles have been changed prior to them getting the trailer. I am not sure if anyone can tell by looking at the photo i will try and attach. I appreciate any help that i will get. I am sure there are lots of things i should know but i am looking forward to a new adventure this will bring.
Thanks,

Click image for larger version

Name:	axle.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	403.2 KB
ID:	211351
CampingwKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:10 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Normandy Park , Washington
The angle makes it difficult but the wheel well should not be so far down the tire and almost level with the hub cap.

New axles could raise it up several inches and approach the top of the tire.
Dan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:44 PM   #3
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Is this the 26ft with missing front drivers side window? If it is then no, they have not been switched out, in my opinion.
EDIT: Actually, looking at that body colour, its not the same one I looked at yesterday.

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the forums. At a glance, I would guess that the axles are shot. Do a little search on the forums for "check axle" and you should find many threads describing how to evaluate whether to replace axles or not. There are lots of arguments about what the angle of the arm should be and how much tire should be visible, so lots of times, it all boils down to jacking up the trailer and watching to see how much travel you get out of the wheel. Seems like you should get 3-4 inches. A sagged out hardened axle may only move an inch or so as you jack it up.

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Hard to tell from the angle of your photo. Here's an article that will help you determine if you need to swap out the axles:
Dura Torque Axle
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I hate to disagree with the old information about top of wheel vs. the wheel well trim as a way to determine axle health, but I will. It is a statement which has been often repeated, and even Inland Andy has made comments about it as a determining factor. And I greatly respect Andy.

I have a 74 20' Argosy and it definitely needed a new axel. I had a Dexter put on, all proper size, capacity etc. If you look at my wheel well vs top of wheel, there may be an inch of height of the well vs. the wheel. By the statements that this shows the axel needs replacement I should take off my new axel and replace it. I am not going to do that.

In fact, Airstream and Argosy has made many changes in wheel well cutout sizes over the years. You cannot judge the axel condition by the tire wheel height vs the cutout on the trailer. There are too many variations on wheel cutout height which have been made over the years.

This reminds me of another old saw: cross your safety chains to "catch" the hitch if it becomes uncoupled. On my new '14 Airstream FC the chains are attached at a single center point just behind the coupler ball, about 4 inches back. There is no way to "cross the chains" . They start at a single point. Times change.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
I would not hold my breath that the axles have been changed. If you look underneath and they look to be about the same color and condition as the frame, they are probably the same age as the frame. You will find very few of these trailers with new axles, fewer still where the owner doesn't know that they have been changed. Best way to check is to jack up a wheel and see how much the axles moves, it should have a few inches of travel left when the tire is flat on the ground supporting the trailer. When I did my axles, I got about 3 more inches clearance out of the whole deal.

Old axles:

new axles:

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:57 PM   #8
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
I hate to disagree with the old information about top of wheel vs. the wheel well trim as a way to determine axle health, but I will. It is a statement which has been often repeated, and even Inland Andy has made comments about it as a determining factor. And I greatly respect Andy.

I have a 74 20' Argosy and it definitely needed a new axel. I had a Dexter put on, all proper size, capacity etc. If you look at my wheel well vs top of wheel, there may be an inch of height of the well vs. the wheel. By the statements that this shows the axel needs replacement I should take off my new axel and replace it. I am not going to do that.

In fact, Airstream and Argosy has made many changes in wheel well cutout sizes over the years. You cannot judge the axel condition by the tire wheel height vs the cutout on the trailer. There are too many variations on wheel cutout height which have been made over the years.

This reminds me of another old saw: cross your safety chains to "catch" the hitch if it becomes uncoupled. On my new '14 Airstream FC the chains are attached at a single center point just behind the coupler ball, about 4 inches back. There is no way to "cross the chains" . They start at a single point. Times change.
You might also have a different angle on the torsion bar which causes yours to sit lower. I have seen several pics or diagrams of the bar facing up, down or horizontal. A person needs to specify which is wanted. But, that said, the best way to judge is to get underneath and inspect at the very least, or jack it up.

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
I think the only way is to jack up one side of the trailer until the wheels are off the ground, measure from center of wheel to wheel well. Then place blocks under the wheel and lower trailer until all weight of the trailer is on one wheel and measure again. This gives the flex of the axle. 2"-3" is ok for used axles, 1" or less, replace.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Crawl under the trailer and look for the ID tag on the axle. It will state the date of manufacture. If it is close to the trailer origin date. They are probably the originals.
If your plan is to use the trailer extensively then install new axles. If it will be parked for an extended period. Then wait until you get close to the travel date.
No point in having new axles if you are not traveling.
I replaced the 2800# axles on my '74 Argosy 26' with 3200# axles. I got about 2" of lift over the old axles.
It was a relatively easy job. Just unbolt the old and bolt up the new. My axles are made by Axxis.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote