Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2011, 09:02 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 22
austinburg , Ohio
Leg-O-Matic chairs

Hello,my wife and i are trying to figure out what type of seat is correct for our 1972 Argosy.When the dinette table is set up there is seating for two to three on the gaucho but nothing for the other side.I see pictures of the table when set for both sides to be used.I see some adds for the Leg o matic for sale that states for air streams so im wondering if those are correct for our Argosy as well.If so what style,i am seeing allot of them when i google search them ?????confused so need help.Please let us know if you can lead us in the correct direction.Thank you all for all your help thus far.We love are Argosy.
Take care and Happy Holidays
Terry and Tammy
jungleterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
There are usually some Legomatics at the Region Rallies and the International at prices much lower that Ebay. I sold three of them last year for $30 at Region 5 rally. They were also sold as funeral home chairs.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:35 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Irrigon , Oregon
There are some right now in the classified section !!
Old 11-28-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

I looked at my copy of the 1972 "The Airstream Story" it does not show a picture of the chairs, though the 1970 "The Airstream Story" does (but one can not see the full backs). I would think it could be the ones that have the "cane backs" since that would have been the style of the time. If you could find a copy of a sales lit. for the Argosy that might show what you need.

Good Luck,
Old 11-28-2011, 07:32 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 22
austinburg , Ohio
Hi Paul,i have a few brochures,they show the table setting on both sides but no chairs??thank you for the information.Cane backs may be correct.I will try to gather more information.I read somewhere that that would fit in the armrest pockets in the airstream?Thank you again
terry and Tammy
P.S if you could send me that picture i would like to view it too.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:33 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 22
austinburg , Ohio
Hi Rod ,i saw those too.Just dont know what style is correct for the 70s.There are so many styles.Thank you for the info.
Take care
terry and Tammy
Old 11-28-2011, 07:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

There's a set of four on ebay right now that look very much like the ones in my 1972 Airstream Story. They say they are about 40 yrs old, that's about right!

4 Leg-O-Matic Airstream Folding Chairs Vintage Mid Century Legomatic antique | eBay
Old 11-28-2011, 08:34 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Leg-O-Matic Chairs

I don't know whether they are still being reproduced, but I did purchase a set of Reproduction Leg-O-Matic chairs (called Unique Seats) from Camping World between 2000 and 2004. The design, general quality, and finish were virtually identical to originals that friends had in late 1960s/early 1970s Airstreams. The finish is also quite compatible with the golden-oak tone of my '64 Overlander's interior. I found one of my old posts on this subject, and the following is the detailed information from that post:

From the original packing, they were called Unique Seats and were produced for Timely Products (of Phoenix, AZ) in Malaysia. From a functionality standpoint, it works and has a very similar mechanism to that employed by the "Leg-O-Matic" chairs. It is in what was called a "blonded maple" finish with "antique satin" vinly upholstery. Its SKU number was 41272; and I believe that its Camping World catalog number was 65287941272. I believe that when I purchased my set of four that the President's Club Price was $46.99 each.

Since very few reproduction items remain in production for more than a year or two, they are likely long out of production. It might be valuable to be aware of these reproductions as they may not be as high of quality as the orignals -- but mine have held up very well.

Good luck with your investigation and research!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:01 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 22
austinburg , Ohio
legomatic chairs.thank you

Hi Kevin,thank you for the pictures,wow great information too.There are many different back styles to these chairs.Wish i could find a picture in a brochure.
Thank you again.
terry and Tammy
Old 11-28-2011, 09:34 PM   #10

1972 25' Tradewind
Hammond , Louisiana
Terry, I just sent you a private message
Jane
Janie Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:56 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Leg o matic chairs

Greetings Terry and Tammy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleterry View Post
Hi Kevin,thank you for the pictures,wow great information too.There are many different back styles to these chairs.Wish i could find a picture in a brochure.
Thank you again.
terry and Tammy
Happy to be able to provide you with some useful information.

I have spent considerable time researching the first generation Argosy line (1972-1979), and have copies of most (probably 80%) Argosy showroom literature that was provided to potential customers. In a brief search, I wasn't able to find a single mention of any Leg-O-Matic or other folding chairs being provided as standard (or even optional) equipment on the Argosy coaches. Since the Argosy was intended as a less expensive entry-point into the Airstreaming lifestyle, product planners may have assumed that the new owner would utilize either lawn chairs or folding chairs already in their possession. What may have been another consideration was that the Leg-O-Matic Chairs were often offered by the Byam Store in authroized dealerships which may have resulted in the assumption that those Argsoy owners who wanted the Leg-O-Matic Chairs like those found in Airstreams could make a separate purchase through the Byam Store. We may never know the actual story about whether Leg-O-Matic chairs were ever pomoted with the first generation Argosy coaches . . . I am hoping that more of the story surfaces soon.

Good luck with your research and investigation!

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 11-29-2011, 06:45 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 22
austinburg , Ohio
brochures

Hi Kevin,did they have a brochure for the 72 Argosy .The folks that bought mine purchased it in Feb 73 and received the brochure i have pictured on my blog.Please let me know and thank you again for all the information.Also did they ever use the full style hub cap like on the airstream but with centers painted with the brown?I know they original had a plastic hub cap and our the baby moons.I have seen a set on ebay with the brown centers.
Take care
Terry and Tammy
Old 11-29-2011, 06:15 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Leg o matic chairs

Greetings Terry and Tammy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleterry View Post
Hi Kevin,did they have a brochure for the 72 Argosy .The folks that bought mine purchased it in Feb 73 and received the brochure i have pictured on my blog.Please let me know and thank you again for all the information.Also did they ever use the full style hub cap like on the airstream but with centers painted with the brown?I know they original had a plastic hub cap and our the baby moons.I have seen a set on ebay with the brown centers.
Take care
Terry and Tammy
The 1972 sales literature is one of three blanks in my collection. In fact, I haven't run across anyone having a 1972 brochure. I can't imagine that there weren't some 1972 brochures published, but my thought would be that they were likely printed in small quantity. I keep looking and hoping, but haven't run across anything at this point.

Throughout the first generation, there were three basic choices for wheels/covers. Early in the evolution, steel wheels with baby moons were the typical standard. Aluminum full wheel covers were offered as an option; and were identical to those on similar year Airstreams only the center was painted tan/brown or left bare. Later in in the evolution, styled steel wheels were introduced with plastic/ABS Argosy center caps. Today, it is quite rare to find an Argosy with a complete set of the plastic/ABS center caps as they become extremely brittle with age and just shatter while traveling down the highway . . . I lost both of mine on the Minuet over a two month period of time five years ago. While I haven't tried this yet, I have been told that the center caps for mid-1970s K-5 Chevrolet Blazers styled steel wheels will fit the Argosy and make a good replacement for the factory center caps -- the Chevrolet caps are available as reproductions without emblems from a number of on-line sources.

Good luck with your research and investigation!

Kevin

P.S.: The pamphlet in your blog appears to be a copy of the Article that appeared in Trailer Life Magazine introducting the first generation Argosy trailer line - - at least it appears to have the same photo as the one that appeared on the cover of the June issue of Trailer Life if I remember correctly.
AIR #827
Old 11-29-2011, 08:37 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 22
austinburg , Ohio
thank you

Hi Kevin,thank you again for the great information.I have found a set of 2 hubcaps with brown painted centers.I will use these to repaint another pair.Very excited to have found these too.They came off of a 72 20 foot Argosy that is for sale about 20 min.from me.Almost bought it but i really only need one Argosy ,even though i would like a whole bunch of them LOL
Thank you again
Terry and Tammy
Old 11-29-2011, 08:47 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
We saw chairs very much like, if not the same, at Costco last week for about $30.00. The brand was not Legomatic, but they were very nice. They were wood, and folded in the same manner.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:55 PM   #16

1972 25' Tradewind
Hammond , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie Q
Terry, I just sent you a private message
Jane

Terry,
Did you get the photos I sent you this morning of our chair?
Jane
Janie Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:55 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Vienna , VIRGINIA
Legomatic chairs - 75 Argosy

These were included when I bought my Argosy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	76 Leg-o-matic chairs.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	146279  
Old 11-30-2011, 07:38 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 22
austinburg , Ohio
chairs

Wow these are perfect,color is correct too.if you ever decide to sell these or come across another set my wife and i would be very interested.Perfect fit.
thank you for picture.
Take care
Terry and Tammy
Old 12-01-2011, 07:42 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Vienna , VIRGINIA
PM me. I am not partial to them and would consider a reasonable offer.