Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2019, 08:11 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
calgary , Alberta
KT door lock replacement options

Ok so I am trying to secure my trailer for the winter has we have had someone sleeping in the back of my school bus and leaving other nasty surprises for me. The PO said the lock was in the trailer nope contacted VTS today and they have stopped stocking it due to the ridiculous price Airstream is asking for it (last retail on VTS is $850USD) and another site is no longer stocking either so my options are
1 try and find one for sale
2 buy the replacement one from Airstream
3 find a different type of handle and modify and repair/reskin the door
alberta paso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:32 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Shelton , Washington
Hi alberta paso,

I had a door lock/latch problem myself. 1976 Tradewide 25'. The PO had installed a dead bolt lock and the KT lock/latch was in need of a rebuild. Also the KT lock had a cracked corner missing. So I decided to just replace the whole thing with an after market system. Took care of the mess the PO had left. Here are a few pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	doorlock1.jpeg
Views:	264
Size:	499.4 KB
ID:	355739   Click image for larger version

Name:	doorlock2.jpeg
Views:	331
Size:	507.3 KB
ID:	355740  

Toolmanbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 03:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Inland RV sold a replacement lock kit for about $200. Requires a bit of modification. Also sells the the parts for the KT200. I don't trust the KT lock for a door lock. You could also put on a locking hasp. There are a few that look OK If your KT does open and close but does not lock this would be your cheapest and easiest option. Stanley makes one but there are prettier more expensive ones.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:07 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Paradise , Texas
A hasp is a bad idea. It allows anyone to lock you inside your trailer.

Vts sells a deadbolt with a long pin. It goes inside the wall forward of your door, the pin holds the door shut.
Crackerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I would never buy another KT latch.

Vintage Trailer Supply sells a deadbolt that is made for Airstream trailers. This might be your best short term solution for securing the door.

https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com...-p/vts-343.htm

Using a modern, more universal latch like the one at the link below is probably your best (long term) bet. Cheap initial cost, but then you have to deal with at least modifying the frame of the door and the door jamb and putting on a patch to cover the elongated hole (as in the pics above.).

https://www.amazon.com/Travel-Traile...3137928&sr=8-9

Some of the AS online retailers offer a kit that includes the new latch plus cut to size patches and olympic rivets, but it costs around $200. Seems a bit pricey for a patch and a few rivets, but if you aren't equiped to make your own patch, it is an "easy" way to go.

Reskinning the door (instead of patching it) is major surgery and not for the faint of heart..but that will give the the cleanest results, if you are a perfectionist.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 04:52 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Charlotte , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post

Vintage Trailer Supply sells a deadbolt that is made for Airstream trailers. This might be your best short term solution for securing the door.

Using a modern, more universal latch like the one at the link below is probably your best (long term) bet. Cheap initial cost, but then you have to deal with at least modifying the frame of the door and the door jamb and putting on a patch to cover the elongated hole (as in the pics above.).

Some of the AS online retailers offer a kit that includes the new latch plus cut to size patches and olympic rivets, but it costs around $200. Seems a bit pricey for a patch and a few rivets, but if you aren't equiped to make your own patch, it is an "easy" way to go.

Reskinning the door (instead of patching it) is major surgery and not for the faint of heart..but that will give the the cleanest results, if you are a perfectionist.

good luck!

I’m locked out of my 76 Argosy. Pulled the lock tumbler - can’t figure out how to get the bolt to slide open. Pulling on the latch does nothing - it’s not engaging. Anyone have advice for getting the door open?
The Zeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Have a look at the following thread:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f45...ht-141537.html

I have an incomplete KT latch on the bench and can take pics, etc., to show the mechanisms if you don't get enough information from my contribution to the above.

good luck!
Old 09-30-2020, 06:27 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Thank Belegedhel - I will review this
Old 09-30-2020, 03:18 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
I put up a separate post and you can see my progress here:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f45...sy-214998.html
Old 10-22-2021, 05:39 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Poland , Maine
Quote:
Have a look at the following thread:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f45...ht-141537.html

I have an incomplete KT latch on the bench and can take pics, etc., to show the mechanisms if you don't get enough information from my contribution to the above.

good luck!
You still have your KT lock on the bench? If so, I'd like to talk...mine is missing a very tiny spring, the one that holds in the tiny bearing...looking to get one.
I'd love to know the size of it. thx
Shapmaui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 07:43 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
1961 28' Ambassador
1968 26' Overlander
Lakewood , Colorado
In the past, 4 or 5 years ago, I've had 2 KT locks repaired by old, very experienced locksmiths who thought it was no big deal. Several members have posted about modifying/replacing. I know dbj216 did a write up on his.
Good luck, Mark D
mrdes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 07:47 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
1961 28' Ambassador
1968 26' Overlander
Lakewood , Colorado
Also, I have installed 2 of the VTS deadbolts and while a few hours work they are a good product and recommended. Also, search out the wood block thing to slide down in your grab handle to help keep the door from flying open going down the road.
Good luck, Mark D
mrdes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 02:34 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Poland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdes8 View Post
In the past, 4 or 5 years ago, I've had 2 KT locks repaired by old, very experienced locksmiths who thought it was no big deal. Several members have posted about modifying/replacing. I know dbj216 did a write up on his.
Good luck, Mark D
I’ll check out the write up. TY.
Old 10-24-2021, 02:38 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Poland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdes8 View Post
Also, I have installed 2 of the VTS deadbolts and while a few hours work they are a good product and recommended. Also, search out the wood block thing to slide down in your grab handle to help keep the door from flying open going down the road.
Good luck, Mark D
I’ll check out the VTS deadbolt and the wood block. Is the wood block sometimes referred to as a wedge?
I like the idea of a deadbolt. It seems like a good remedy to keep the door from flying open during a road trip, and to slow down any hoodlums from a B&E.
Old 10-24-2021, 03:12 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Poland , Maine
Quote:

good luck!
Do you happen to have a photo of what the deadbolt looks like installed on your trailer? I’d love to see a post on the install process of this KTS deadbolt. Thanks!
Old 10-24-2021, 08:09 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I didn't install the VTS dead bolt, but I bet if you search the forums for "VTS deadbolt" or just look on their site, you will see pics of it installed. I went the route of maximum pain and totally reskinned my door and installed the modern combination latch and deadbolt. I also typically travel with the wooden thingy (do a search for "doohickey" to see pics) wedging my door shut, just in case.

Anyway, the KT latch is still in my shop, so if you can PM me we can arrange to talk.

good luck!
Old 07-01-2022, 01:37 PM   #17

1974 Argosy 28
Walla Walla , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zeeb View Post
I’m locked out of my 76 Argosy. Pulled the lock tumbler - can’t figure out how to get the bolt to slide open. Pulling on the latch does nothing - it’s not engaging. Anyone have advice for getting the door open?
I am also having this issue. Help!! I think I can repair the lock if I can get the door open without tearing something up.
Bud Ruther is offline   Reply With Quote