Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2008, 06:03 PM   #41
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff23 View Post
I didn't like the one in Orange due to all the obvious modifications done by previous owners. Another thing I hold a lot of value in is knowing the history and the one in Orange was a big ?????.

darn, I wish I still had the link. The auction ended but it was a 1972 20 foot really original unit. I assumed we were talking about the same unit. Oh now I'm really sorry and upset at myself for mistakenly not adding the link to my initial post. Sorry again Duff. (we need a "kicking myself" smilie)
Old 06-25-2008, 06:46 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Oxford , Connecticut
Don't sweat it...I'm beginning to realize that there are a LOT of fish in this sea.
Duff23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:10 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Duff:

I bought an airstream last fall. Well I have had to replace the bathroom floor, and the list goes on. I have learned much and have support from my family (Most important). My first thought was I would have to sink about $1500 into the trailer. I have invested about $3500 to date. It will be over $4000 tomorrow. I still think I have a deal and I now know this trailer. I don't do electical or gas. That will cost me $475 tomorrow. No parts just labor. Yeah, I am perplexed and not happy, but I know that the refrigerator works on propane, the converter is fried ( I wired it wrong) other wiring was fixed, and the wheel is fixed. $99.00 and hour with 4+ hours of labor.

I spoke with Henshen's tech people about my axels. I can't afford axels this year. They told me to put tape in the wheel well and take it out for a test. Pull it and then check to see if I have tire marks on the tape. Henshen said if I did not see any tire marks on the tape and everything else is in good shape the axels were fine. I still plan on getting axels but not this season.

Good luck with what ever airstream you buy.

SIU bound

Brian
Lothlorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:11 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Oxford , Connecticut
Brian,
Thanks for sharing your experience. That's a good idea with the tape....I guess the general idea is that if you don't have scuff marks on the tape then your wheels are not bottoming out in your wheel well and your axles are still providing the necessary clearance. I think I'll use that trick too when I'm finally confronted with the "axle decision point".

I'm definitely hell-bent on buying an Airstream at this point...it's just a matter of locating the right one. I find it interesting how I catch myself gravitating toward Argosy's...maybe it's that big window in the front...or maybe it's that it seems harder to find a clean one. Sooner or later I'll be part of this community....
Old 06-25-2008, 09:18 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Your comments are eerily similar to mine. I know exactly how you feel. Good luck, you'll find it.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:25 AM   #46
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIU Bound View Post
Duff:

I bought an airstream last fall. Well I have had to replace the bathroom floor, and the list goes on. I have learned much and have support from my family (Most important). My first thought was I would have to sink about $1500 into the trailer. I have invested about $3500 to date. It will be over $4000 tomorrow. I still think I have a deal and I now know this trailer. I don't do electical or gas. That will cost me $475 tomorrow. No parts just labor. Yeah, I am perplexed and not happy, but I know that the refrigerator works on propane, the converter is fried ( I wired it wrong) other wiring was fixed, and the wheel is fixed. $99.00 and hour with 4+ hours of labor.

I spoke with Henshen's tech people about my axels. I can't afford axels this year. They told me to put tape in the wheel well and take it out for a test. Pull it and then check to see if I have tire marks on the tape. Henshen said if I did not see any tire marks on the tape and everything else is in good shape the axels were fine. I still plan on getting axels but not this season.

Good luck with what ever airstream you buy.

SIU bound

Brian
Brian.

Who did you talk to at Henschen?

What you were told is incorrect.

As an example, the rubber rods could be solidified.

I will call Henschen and try to get that source of mis-information corrected, today.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:47 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Andy:

My conversation with Henschen about axels came about because I was not paying attention. I did not tighten down one of my wheels when I dropped the trailer. I lost a wheel on the road and my dust cap. The Rv place told me that everything was of unique size and it would be hard to find. I did find my wheel and three wheel bolts A man name Jim with the technical support area of Henschen told me the RV shop was wrong and gave me the sizes of the parts I needed. He basically said I could get them most anywhere. He was correct. That is when I asked about axel replacement and my in ability to buy new axels this year because of finances. That is when he told me about the tape trick.

I plan on changing my axels but I have to re-coop some money first.

Brian
Lothlorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:18 PM   #48
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIU Bound View Post

SIU bound

Brian
Brian.

As promised I talked with Jim.

The "tape on the bottom side of the wheel well test" is only to let you know if the tire is hitting the wheel weel.

As far as the axle condition is concerned, that test really doesn't tell anything, other than the tire is not hitting the wheel well.

Torsion axles, develop two problems.

1. The rubber rods can solidify, especially on trailer 1974 and older.

2. The rubber rods give out which lets the torsion or trailing arm to not much if any life left in it to still act as a spring.

When the trailer is empty, if the torsion arm is parallel to the chassis or going upward, the axle is done.

Since torsion axles are weight sensitive, when a pay load is added, the torsion arm will further go upward, again telling you the axle is done.

Just because the tire may not hit the wheel well, does not mean the axle is any good, since the axles also have a built in stop.

All torsion axles will "bottom out" once the parallel to the chassis, or higher, whenever bumps are hit.

That then takes it's toll quickly on the entire trailer and everything in it.

Many posts have been made previous about those problems.

Andy
Old 06-29-2008, 02:44 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Oxford , Connecticut
No Black Water Tank?

So I've been contemplating a little 20' or 22' Argosy that I found in the classifieds here at AirForums. The problem is that the sellers say that there is no black water tank. How could this be? They said they were told that it came from the factory like that. I don't think I want a camper that can't be self-contained (without using one of those little portable tanks). Is it possible for me to retrofit the factory tank? Is it even worthwhile? Thanks, Duff
Old 06-29-2008, 03:54 PM   #50
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
There is a black water tank. here is NOT a gray water tank unless one was added. I suppose this depends on the year. I have a 72 and do not have gray water storage.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:42 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Oxford , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatismytruc View Post
There is a black water tank. here is NOT a gray water tank unless one was added. I suppose this depends on the year. I have a 72 and do not have gray water storage.
I REALLY want to believe that too but the owner's say differently. They said that they always go to a place with full hookups or use a little portable tank that they drag to the dump station.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:51 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
According to Andy, pre '73 or '74 trailers won't have gray water storage. If you want full self containment sans blue tank, go for '75 or later. I personally have never heard of a 70's AS or Argosy that didn't have a black water tank for the toilet. Is it possible the owners have confused the black and gray water tanks? They are saying there is no tank for the sink, etc., but they have a tank for the toilet???? Or the valve for the toilet tank is stuck open?
Old 06-29-2008, 09:58 PM   #53
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Oxford , Connecticut
I'm baffled too. They're saying, with confidence, that it came from the factory without a black water tank (they are not the original owners). I just can't imagine someone special ordering a trailer without a black water tank. I'm afraid I'm going to have to let this one go too.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:23 AM   #54
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Winter Park , Florida
Axle Replacement?

Well ignorance can certainly be expensive. However the Arogosy axle installation certainly seems to be simple with four bolts and electrical disconnection. But I do need to replace my axle as it is sagging a great deal. Positive deflection to the max.
Any suggestions as to where to get replacement and guesstimate as to costs? I am in central Florida .

Cheers,

Dave
David Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 06:27 AM   #55
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by David&Diana View Post
Well ignorance can certainly be expensive. However the Arogosy axle installation certainly seems to be simple with four bolts and electrical disconnection. But I do need to replace my axle as it is sagging a great deal. Positive deflection to the max.
Any suggestions as to where to get replacement and guesstimate as to costs? I am in central Florida .

Cheers,

Dave
We are the distributor for the Henschen axles.

All that's needed is the trailer serial number.

Andy
Old 07-21-2008, 05:34 AM   #56
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff23 View Post
I'm baffled too. They're saying, with confidence, that it came from the factory without a black water tank (they are not the original owners). I just can't imagine someone special ordering a trailer without a black water tank. I'm afraid I'm going to have to let this one go too.
Does the toilet sit on a step up or on the floor? If on the floor, there is a chance of no tank, but I seriously doubt it. The step is is actually the tank as the tank sits on the floor.

See, Duff, I will still talk Argosy with you.