Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
In the voice of Homer Simpson......

......Doh! Stupid rear lights!

The lights I bought to replace the bezel didnt fit. OK, No worries, even though I cut a hole in the skin, I can patch that and then re-attach the light pots. Realised the pots for the cut side I poked back through the hole I made and are now on the INSIDE! DOH!
Drill out a couple of holes for the grommets and disconnect the pots. Take OUTSIDE and re-attach with wires fed through the two holes.
Check the lights work. No turn signals.
Re check the connections, all good. Still no turn signals.
Check the grnd, thats good, no turn signals.
Determine the wiring is not connected correctly, change the wiring. Yeah, I have turn signals, but only on left turn.
Take my handy dandy plugin tester and check the umbilical from the van, its OK.
Check the wiring in the plug from the trailer, it looks OK but I remade some of the connectors anyway. Still no turn signal.
Strip off the skin from the offending side and remake all connections. Nothing.
Back to the umbilical, push the tester back in, no turn signal showing. Jiggle the connector, on it comes. Plug in the trailer connector. I have turn signals.
Its only take all day to figure out the plugin on the van is on the fritz. I really need to get an electrical tester and learn how to use it. I am sure it could have saved me four hours or so.
DOH! DOH! DOH!

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The TV plug may have some corrosion or lost the spring tension in the blades. You may be able to clean it up.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Las Cruces , New Mexico
use 'no-ox-id' on your connections.
it does help

don
alclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
What is: "use 'no-ox-id' on your connections."? I'm thinking some kind of grease that conducts electricity. Does anyone make a nice little brush that would work well for cleaning the inside conducting surfaces?
Old 04-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #5
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedwid View Post
What is: "use 'no-ox-id' on your connections."? I'm thinking some kind of grease that conducts electricity. Does anyone make a nice little brush that would work well for cleaning the inside conducting surfaces?
I did a quick search and found this, so I will be looking for it tomorrow.

Sanchem NOOXID electrical grease & electrically conductive grease dielectric grease and contact lubricants

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote