Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2012, 07:03 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
Hamilton , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage68
Front mounting would expose the bikes to lots of debris and bugs not to mention the increased wind resistance. Except for the price, I like the mount over the propane tanks. We fabricate a lot of things, so this becomes my winter shop project.

While discussing this issue with my bride, I had an epiphany. Why not make a rack to hold the bikes which will double as a rock shield, which will be removable.
Savage68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:43 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I have thought of making a rock shield like that but without the bike carrier. No reason it can't work. Just don't get too carried away with making it too heavy.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:56 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I know this would not suite all, but we got folding bikes and carry them folded, in bags the wife made, in the back of the TV. Espresso | Dahon Global
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:39 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
Hamilton , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114
I have thought of making a rock shield like that but without the bike carrier. No reason it can't work. Just don't get too carried away with making it too heavy.

Perry

The major factor with a tongue mounted carrier would be the additional weight on the tongue.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:01 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
On the tongue is the best place for additional weight, in my opinion. Far better place for extra weight than the rear of the trailer.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:49 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
On the tongue is the best place for additional weight, in my opinion. Far better place for extra weight than the rear of the trailer.
Yes, much better than the rear bumper. It will ride better, easier on the trailer, and much cleaner for the bikes, IMHO. And, if the weight is significant, it can be compensated for with the WD hitch.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:23 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
My stock 2011 FC22FB is tongue-heavy, at 785 lbs, which is 14% of normal trailer towing weight. As an experiment, I stood on the rear bumper while weighing the trailer on scales, and my 180 lbs brought the tongue weight to 655 lbs, or 12%. With adequate chassis mounting, I see no problem with adding 100 lbs or less to the rear, such as the Fiamma Airstream bike rack is designed to do.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:26 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
Tryon , North Carolina
Airstream Bicycle Rack

I had the new AS bicycle rack installed at the Airstream factory in Jackson Center.
Check out my blog with 10 or so photos

Streaming Together: Airstream Bicycle Rack
Frank
https://www.streamingtogether.blogspot.com
kiddoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:42 PM   #29

2011 19 International
Portola Valley , California
I have the Fiamma rack installed on my 19ft Intl. i have not used it yet so I can't comment on operation. The installation was not as easy as the video shows. On my Airstream, the lid to the bumper was wider than they showed such that I had to cut both sides in order to mount the main bike supports (I used a Dremel so that I could cut it without removing it). Several of the bolts in the kit were longer than specified so the plastic protectors won't mount on these. The bolts are all metric and not common sizes, so, if you break any (two broke during installation for me), you have to substitute
non-metric bolts and drill as necessary to make them fit. I ordered from Airstream and they added some extra bolts and rivets to the box but left no instructions as to what they intended. I contacted Airstream support and they said the extra parts were for mounting to the back and to look at the video. There is no mention of these extra parts in the video. Next, it was impossible to fold up the rack as shown due to the position of some of the rack brackets (I'd guess that their jigs for hole placement in the tubing have slipped). I had to cut away part of the brackets in order to get it to fold. For a $500 bike rack, these defects are very disappointing. If you are handy, you can work around the problems.
Jon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:54 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
This is the Arvika tongue bike rack. I am extremely pleased with it...expensive, but well made...none of the issues of any type like the previous poster. Everything fits and is of high quality. Yes, with 3 bikes it adds about 120# to tongue weight (per sherline scale) but I moved some heavy items from the front to the axle area and some behind the axle. Ended up about 75#s heavier on the tongue than without the rack and bikes. Still well below max tongue weight and in the 13% of total weight arena. Not an issue for me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120329-00035.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	275.3 KB
ID:	163847

Name:	IMG-20120315-00017.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	163848

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:44 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
I installed the Fiamma bike rack on my 2007 Bambi 19', and found the video very helpful, but it did exclude the fact that the compartment cover required trimming, and the fact that one of the support bars had several holes in it and had to be matched with the upper bar. Otherwise, it did go on and I am very pleased with how strudy it is. I have used it on several occasions and the bikes are very secure.

I think it is a well-designed and quality product. I just had to think like an Italian (I am 50%) during the installation. Kind of like driving in Rome.

I have ordered a few other items from Fiamma, but have not received the shipment yet. I am sure that someone (Fiamma assembly workers, truck drivers, dock workers, etc.) in the Italian supply-chain are probably on strike.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:37 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
Hamilton , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy1
I installed the Fiamma bike rack on my 2007 Bambi 19', and found the video very helpful, but it did exclude the fact that the compartment cover required trimming, and the fact that one of the support bars had several holes in it and had to be matched with the upper bar. Otherwise, it did go on and I am very pleased with how strudy it is. I have used it on several occasions and the bikes are very secure.

I think it is a well-designed and quality product. I just had to think like an Italian (I am 50%) during the installation. Kind of like driving in Rome.

I have ordered a few other items from Fiamma, but have not received the shipment yet. I am sure that someone (Fiamma assembly workers, truck drivers, dock workers, etc.) in the Italian supply-chain are probably on strike.

All of this input is great but the cost factor combined with the less than stellar workmanship and instructions (per various posts),
Just confirms my feelings that I can build one myself and it will be done right (for me anyways).

I envision a aluminum H frame where the vertical members are wide enuf for the front window to open. Can I drill and tap into the teel end cap? That would be a great anchor point for the top of the unit.
And then rock shields would attach to the vertical pieces and clamp around the curved front windows.

Wintertime project.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage68 View Post
All of this input is great but the cost factor combined with the less than stellar workmanship and instructions (per various posts),
Just confirms my feelings that I can build one myself and it will be done right (for me anyways).

I envision a aluminum H frame where the vertical members are wide enuf for the front window to open. Can I drill and tap into the teel end cap? That would be a great anchor point for the top of the unit.
And then rock shields would attach to the vertical pieces and clamp around the curved front windows.

Wintertime project.
Remember, if I understand you correctly, there is some movement between the tongue and the shell while traveling. I am not sure it is advisable to attach anything to the shell AND the tongue.

The quality comments are re. the rear racks. I think both I and MoJo are happy with our tongue racks. Correct me, please, if I'm wrong.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 07-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
What, in the opinion of you Airstreamers, are the disadvantages of carrying bikes inside the trailer?

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
What, in the opinion of you Airstreamers, are the disadvantages of carrying bikes inside the trailer?
None, still do if I have more than Momma and me traveling. Just got tired of moving them in and out in order to use the living room....especially if we're traveling daily.
It is a completely viable solution.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
In my opinion, they're just like having the kids along for the weekend...they're always in the way.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:18 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
Hamilton , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g

Remember, if I understand you correctly, there is some movement between the tongue and the shell while traveling. I am not sure it is advisable to attach anything to the shell AND the tongue.

The quality comments are re. the rear racks. I think both I and MoJo are happy with our tongue racks. Correct me, please, if I'm wrong.

Interesting point. How about a sleeve joint for the two uprights up high where it prevents X and Y movement but allows Z, which would be vertical movement (if any).

Re:bikes inside. Ok, trip scenario, every time we stop to snack, potty or snooze, we'd have to move bikes. The problem is obvious, at least to me.

Only downside is weight on the hitch but between judicious loading and the WD hitch, that should be mitigated.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:59 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Interesting point. How about a sleeve joint for the two uprights up high where it prevents X and Y movement but allows Z, which would be vertical movement (if any).

Re:bikes inside. Ok, trip scenario, every time we stop to snack, potty or snooze, we'd have to move bikes. The problem is obvious, at least to me.

Only downside is weight on the hitch but between judicious loading and the WD hitch, that should be mitigated.
Yeah...maybe with a couple of those elastomer rods, like in the cheaper mountain bike front forks......

Old 07-25-2012, 03:40 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:

Wintertime project.
Please post pics when you finish the project ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:32 PM   #40
Enthusiastic New AS'r

1985 31' Limited
Glenville , New York
Here's one for the AS... Video http://youtu.be/rAZ1yPAXxZU
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_5659.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	154.2 KB