Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2011, 01:11 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
San Antonio , Texas
I stepped in "it" now!

Hi there Argosy other Argosy owners! I can say that now, because I'm one too!

I think I "stepped in it" 'cause I know nothing about these and as usual I jumped with both feet.

Molly B. (for now), belonged to Squid, and I have tried to read as much about as I can here.

Don't really know where to begin, guess with the possible leaks before it starts raining again.

Can't figure out what some things are or what they are for, so I'll be asking lots of questions.

Thanks to all of you, so much fun!

Someone told me today that AS is the Cadillac and Argosy the Chevy - gee I always liked Corvettes better anyway!

Vicki
Vicki A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:01 PM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Welcome Vicki and congrats on the Argy. Leak investigation would be tops on my list. As for any questions... Please feel free to ask. Plenty of members here who are more than willing to help.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki A. View Post

Someone told me today that AS is the Cadillac and Argosy the Chevy - gee I always liked Corvettes better anyway!

Vicki
In reality, Airstream used Argosy much like GM used Oldsmobile. They introduced the "Hydramatic" transmission in the Olds a year or two before putting it in the Cadillac. Same with the automatic headlight dimmer, "Wonderbar" radio tuner, and who knows what other items.

The large wrap around windows showed up in Argosy before Airstream, and others may know of other items that were "previewed" in Argosy.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
What year and model is the trailer. Is it a Minuet? How long is it?
Twin or double bed etc.? I own a '74 - 26' model. Have done a lot of work on it. Be glad to help answer any questions I can.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:44 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Commerce , Texas
Congrats. My wife and I bout a 1972 Argosy 22' in October. Cleaned up and we have spent 10 nights and pulled about 3000 miles. Can't imagine anything else.
billymyers56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Molly B. (for now), belonged to Squid, and I have tried to read as much about as I can here.
Congrats! If I remember right from Squid's pictures, that is a pretty nice trailer you got there. Hope Squid is moving on to another Airstream and that you keep the line of adventures coming.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:42 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
San Antonio , Texas
She is a minuet 6.7 with the dbl. bed.
I could not believe how nicely she pulled on the way home - like a dream!

I am so looking forward to this task and terrified at the same time. Already trying to come up with a color scheme!

Thanks for the encouragement, I'll need every bit of it.

V
Vicki A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:17 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
As for leaks, the gaskets for the plumbing vents are a good place to start sealing. New ones are inexpensive and easy to install. (Or change over to a newer style vent that has a cap on it.) If it hasn't been done already, replace the rubber seals on all the windows and the door. Be sure the vent closes securely onto its foam seal. For seal materials and the adhesive, look at Inland's web page. Better yet, call them.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:03 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
I stepped in "it" now!

Greetings Vicki!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Argosy Minuet ownerhsip!

Quote:
She is a minuet 6.7 with the dbl. bed.
I could not believe how nicely she pulled on the way home - like a dream!

I am so looking forward to this task and terrified at the same time. Already trying to come up with a color scheme!

Thanks for the encouragement, I'll need every bit of it.

V
I am sure that you will enjoy your Minuet more each day that you own it. The 6.7 Metre with its plentiful windows has an airy environment that makes for excellent camping regardless of the weather conditions. As you explore your Minuet, you may learn things that you didn't expect such as:
  • The interior cabinetry is made from vinyl-clad aluminum to save weight. This process included both upper and lower cabinets.
  • You may find that the coach has aluminum composite floors. Some, but far from all of the 6.7 Metre Minuets were equipped with aluminum composite floors. The aluminum composite floors came with one advantage -- no floor rot -- with the trade-off that your floor covering selection is limited to either carpeting or laminate with a cushion backing.
  • The coach is 8 inches narrower than the standard Argosy coaches. The Minuet measuers 7 feet at the floor while the Argosy coach measure 7 feet 8 inches at the floor.
  • You will also likely discover that the side windows are acrylic rather than glass. This was a measure taken to reduce weight and make the coaches towable by a larger number of the the downsized 1970s American automobiles -- along the road, however, prior owners may have replaced the acrylic with glass due to crazing or yellowing. Unless badly yellowed or crazed, the acrylic can be brought back to life utilizing products designed for the acrylic windows utilized in small aircraft . . . . I purchase my acrylic window care products from Aircraft Spruce online.
  • The front wing windows on our Minuets are the same as those utilized on the standard Argosy, but the center front window is approximately 8-inches narrower than the standard Argsoy. What this means is that to protect our extremely valuable wing windows, we must utilize the standard (narrow-body) Airstream 3-piece rock guard and modify the center section to gain the necessary protection. The rock guard will cost about as much as replacing just one of the wing windows -- and the replacement won't match as the new deep-wrap wing windows are solar-gray-tinted rather than clear as the originals were.
Good luck with your Minuet! Enjoy getting acquainted with your coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
There are no leaks and the windows are indeed glass.....and I will be signing off on this forum for the near future. A true wealth of information!
Thanks to all...
SQUID
Squid is offline   Reply With Quote