Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2009, 07:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
SPOTSYLVANIA , Virginia
holding tanks/

I have only one T handle valve to dump and it seems I have only one tank for gray and black water on my 77 20' Argosy-Correct?
vcu70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:20 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Holding Tanks?

Greetings vcu70!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcu70 View Post
I have only one T handle valve to dump and it seems I have only one tank for gray and black water on my 77 20' Argosy-Correct?
Your coach was produced in a transition year for 20' Argosy coaches. The Standard Argosy 20 was produced in small numbers while the Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre production got underway. There are a few differences in the coaches and one of them is in the plumbing. I will answer for the Minuet 6.0 Metre since it is the rig with which I am familiar.

To distinguish between the two coaches one must observe one of two features. In a rig with the front sofa, the presence of a streetside upholstered arm indicates a standard Argosy 20 == no upholstered arm indicates a Minuet 6.0 Metre. The other method is floor width measurement -- 7' indicates a Minuet 6.0 Metre -- 7' 8" indicates a standard Argosy 20.

The first project would be to identify if the coach actually has both of its original waste tanks. The graywater tank was installed on the floor of the rear streetside wardrobe. The blackwater tank was installed on the floor under the toilet and vanity. The original plumbing would have had both dump handles in the rear bumper storage compartment -- placquards were riveted above each of the two handles to denote its function.

It is not uncommon to find serious modification to this wastewater plumbing. The clearance on the Minuet 6.0 Metre is very minimal and it is not uncommon to drag the rear when navigating dips when coping with driveways, etc. Some owners also found the graywater tank to be of more nuisance value than help since it didn't collect the shower's waste water -- the shower waste water exits below the dump valves -- so their solution was to remove the graywater tank and reconfigure the plumbing to resemble that utilized in the years before graywater tanks were mounted. My Minuet had its graywater tank removed, but good fortune smiled upon me as the owner retained it and included it with my purchas -- I just have to get it re-installed.

Good luck with your investigation.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:12 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
If ya want to really find out....spend some
time removing the belly pan under the rear
bumper......I call that section of the trailer
an anatomical name...ha ha...getting water
in is easy....getting it out in an orderly manner
is another story.
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 05:05 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
SPOTSYLVANIA , Virginia
my bad-I do have two tanks, but one handle was broke off- I hope I can dump it with a pair of vise grips until I find another valve. BTW, my argosy is a 6.0 minuet. I have to stop calling it a 20 I guess-lol
vcu70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
It won't take another valve, just get a new handle and rod. Don't replace the valve unless it is in bad shape and leaking.