Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2012, 11:40 AM   #1

1974 Argosy 28
Weaverville , North Carolina
Here we go!!! New Owner!!

Just bought/traded for a 74 28' Argosy with rear bath! No leaks on the outside, has had floor completely redone with marine-grade plywood, and most of the appliances "reportedly in working condition." We'll see how true that last part really is when I have it in my driveway. Having to wait on getting a receiver hitch for my military 3/4 ton M1009 K5 Chevy Blazer; found out the hard way that the hitch on it was actually just an elaborate bumper hitch, resulting in some bent support framing and a sagging hitch. Also have to get a brake controller and wiring the thing up since this TV is bare bones! The interior needs updating, like new countertops, misc. knobs and latches replaced, as well as a new converter, fresh water tank, and AC recharging (hopefully!)

Is it hard to repack the bearings yourself? I used to own a handyman service part time and do most of my own work on the TV, but never have done wheel bearings before. The trailer has been sitting for 2 years, so I need to take a close look at the axles and tires before towing it any great distance. Looks like the underpinning in the rear where the black water tank is located needs to be redone, as there is some rusted support framing that has disintegrated due to the rear end being in tall grass and weeds for a long time without proper drainage around the camper. Needs to be pressure washed, and eventually repainted as well, but at least it doesn't leak!

I'm extremely excited, as this is my first camper ever!! Thanks in advance to all of you for your help and support! I've already learned quite a lot of valuable information in the past week or so, reading and researching on my new find!

Joel
Medic3269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:49 AM   #2

1974 Argosy 28
Also need a little help... all of the outside access doors are locked and I don't have a key. Can somebody tell me what is in each of them, starting from the right of the door, and going around the trailer? The only door that is open is for the battery, and that one won't stay closed!

Joel
Old 07-17-2012, 12:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
One door will be to gain rear access to the refer. It is normally keyed. One door will be for access to the water heater, not normally keyed.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
If you've ever done a brake job on a car, you can pack bearings yourself. Basically, you remove the wheel, tap off the bearing cap, unscrew the locking nut and remove the drum - the outside bearing will come out with it. Buy some new grease seals for the back of the drum. There is lots of info, instructions, and tips in the subject forums. Start at forums, go to running gear, then bearings, and you'll have lots of reading you can do.
Congrats on your new trailer!
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Their are numerous videos on the Internet showing how to pack wheel bearings.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
Medic3269, welcome. You will enjoy your Argosy. I also have a 28'. Mine is in rough shape, but I am enjoying the project. We are here to help, so ask lots of questions.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Medic-

Congratulations!! Expecting a few surprises is good mental prep for the projects ahead.. Linking up with other owners with e-mail or Primvate messages is also good for venting from time to time... I think at least one of the locked compartments is just storage, with things like hitch parts, leveling blocks, hose or sewer line fittings, etc.. We keep stuff in them, and most are Corbin locks where keys could be made with numbers.. If desperate, a sturdy screwdriver and 90 degree turning action would release most of the locks to open doors. From there, you can remove nut on rear of lock body and replace lock at Hardware or Locksmith place

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:37 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
little rock , Arkansas
My Airstream hatch doors were all keyed the same. I took the one off of the battery door and took it to a locksmith to have a key (and a couple of spares) made up. There is a start for you.
kos221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:00 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
1976 Argosy 28
1972 Argosy 24
Chico , California
I am at the end of my Argosy rebuild project. Actually sourcing a new black water tank right now. I replaced pretty much everything except the electric system. A great thing about your Argosy is that it is all easy to do. The hardest thing that I had to do was replumb the shower valve, and that wasn't bad. Drilled out the rivets, peeled the panel back, did the plumbing and rivited it back on. During the redo I notieced that the black tank was cracked, then filled in with gobs of silicon in order to stop the leak. It didn't, so a new tank is the next project. Even though it took some time and a small bucket of money, the end result is great, and I think I can recoup the funds if I decide I want to sell it, which I don't see happening! Remember, the best part is being on the road, not the fixing it up!
twilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:23 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by twilder View Post
I am at the end of my Argosy rebuild project. Actually sourcing a new black water tank right now. I replaced pretty much everything except the electric system. A great thing about your Argosy is that it is all easy to do. The hardest thing that I had to do was replumb the shower valve, and that wasn't bad. Drilled out the rivets, peeled the panel back, did the plumbing and rivited it back on. During the redo I notieced that the black tank was cracked, then filled in with gobs of silicon in order to stop the leak. It didn't, so a new tank is the next project. Even though it took some time and a small bucket of money, the end result is great, and I think I can recoup the funds if I decide I want to sell it, which I don't see happening! Remember, the best part is being on the road, not the fixing it up!
Thanks for the encouragement. The shower valve plumbing is in my future!
Old 07-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #11

1974 Argosy 28
Thanks for the warm welcomes and advice!

Robert- I've done my own brake work on my M1009 before, so I don't think I'll have much trouble after browsing some of those articles you mentioned. Thanks!!

Condoluminum- Thanks for the info on the type of locks on my Argosy. I'll have to try and scrap some of the layers of paint off the lock to see if I can get the numbers to order some keys... otherwise, the universal key (flat-head screwdriver) it will be!

Twilder- What kind of rivet gun do you have? I've never used one before, so I'm in the market for one soon.

Thanks again all!

Joel