Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-01-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
longmont , Colorado
Angry help with getting to know 1978 six meter

hello all, ive pulled to austin a '78, 20' argosy, serial # 20D8V1720. im assuming this means 20', double, 1978, V-?, unit #1720.
the airstream service manual pictured with this unit is for 1972. what to do....
i need a copy of the owners manual for my '78, 20' argosy. does anyone know where this can be obtained....
i have for the first request the '72 service manual, for free.
thanks
glarue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
V is for Versailles, OH... the Argosy factory location.

The owner's manual may not be all that useful, the information is usually very general. I can send you a copy of the Argosy owner's manual from '75. The service manual for an Airstream of similar vintage tells you a lot, but of course everything is slightly different for an Argosy so you still have to do some mental translation. There are no published service manuals that are Argosy-specific that I know of.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
help with getting to know 1978 six meter

Greetings glarue!

Welcome to the world of Vintage Minuet ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glarue View Post
hello all, ive pulled to austin a '78, 20' argosy, serial # 20D8V1720. im assuming this means 20', double, 1978, V-?, unit #1720.
the airstream service manual pictured with this unit is for 1972. what to do....
i need a copy of the owners manual for my '78, 20' argosy. does anyone know where this can be obtained....
i have for the first request the '72 service manual, for free.
thanks
As has already been noted, your Minuet 6.0 Metre is a 1978 and the title lists it as 20-feet even though it is a bit shorter if my memory of actual measurements is correct. My impression based upon VINs that I have seen for 1978 6.0 Metre Minuets is that yours as is mine (54 units prior to yours) was produced after the middle of the model year, but I am not certain whether the sequential production number resets to zero each year of if it continues from where the prior year left off.

You can purchase a copy of the owners' manual from Airstream at this link. It doesn't have a great deal of Minuet specific information, but it does cover the major systems rather well. You can also obtain the 1978 Airstream service manual that doesn't make specific mention of Argosy, but since they share the same basic structures and building methods it does help in making specific repairs. You can find information about purchasing a copy from Airstream at this link.

Some information about your Minuet if you haven't already discovered:
  • There is a very high probability that it will have composite aluminum floors. Many, but not all, Minuet 6.0 Metres have the composite aluminum floors . . . they are an advantage in that they are not subject to rot, but they do pose some restrictions in the floor coverings that may be selected.
  • Yours is a second year Minue 6.0 Metre.
  • The floor width is 8" narrower than the standard coaches at 7.0'.
  • The empty weight was stated at 2,450 pounds with a GVWR of 3,200 pounds. It is difficult to stay within the GVWR, but it is important to try as it doesn't take much to surpass the axle's carrying capacity. My '78 6.0 Metre Minuet typically weighs a bit more than 3,100 pounds with a hitch weight of around 575 pounds (I always travel with the water tank full).
  • The front Vista View windows are a wonderful source of light, but they are not replacable in the marketplace (other than from a salvaged Argosy coach). It is possible to get new deep-wrap-wing-windows, but they will be Solar Gray Tinted as they are what is being used in current Airstreams. Protecting original clear glass deep-wrap-wing-windows can become quite important . . . the three-piece Airstream rock guard can be modified to fit a Minuet . . . the side panel are identical, but the center section will require modification (narrow by about 8").
  • The interior cabinetry is all constructed of vinyl-clad aluminum with plastic tambour for the cabinet doors.
  • The side windows were some type of Acrylic, but some owners have replaced the acrylic with glass. Care of the acrylic can be a little more involved, but it isn't difficult. It is important to avoid using amonia-based cleaners on the acrylic . . . I have always used plain white vinegar on mine . . . when there is hazing or scratching, I utilize polishing/cleaning preparations for aircraft acrylic windows. I generally purchase thes chemicals from Aircraft Spruce.
Good luck with your Minuet!

I am sure that you will enjoy it for many years!

Kevin

P.S.: You will also likely discover that your Minuet's gray water tank only collect waste water from the kitchen sink and bathroom vanity. The gray water tank from the factory was mounted on the floor of the rear-most wardrobe so was above the level of the shower's drain so it is necessary to make provision for collecting the waste water from the shower when camped where it isn't permissible to drain on the ground (very few places today).
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
What is it that you want to do with the Minuet that you need a manual? Wiring is about the only thing that is hidden and a PITA to troubleshoot. You do have water lines that run under/behind the shower but otherwise the water lines are visible. I suspect you will have to figure out how to get stuff apart even if you have a service manual as I have experienced some really interesting ways the unit was assembled when I was reworking parts of it. (See the thread on getting the furnace out on this forum for an idea of what you are up against.)