Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-25-2021, 07:26 PM   #1

1976 Argosy 20
Miami Beach , Florida
Help to Identify "Barn Find" Argosy

I hope this is the right forum. I found a "barn Find" trailer and I'm looking for some help identifying it and gauging value. It says Argosy on the front and back but it's not painted? Are some Argosy not painted? Dinette in the front bathroom in the back and 2 twin beds in the middle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	argosy.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	260.5 KB
ID:	404876  
MiamiStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 07:57 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiStream View Post
I hope this is the right forum. I found a "barn Find" trailer and I'm looking for some help identifying it and gauging value. It says Argosy on the front and back but it's not painted? Are some Argosy not painted? ........
Hi

They are if the PO strips the paint off .... (possibly to get ready to re-paint it )

Value depends on a lot of minor details like the floor being rotted and the frame rusted out ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 08:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Looks like an Argosy 24 FT. The end caps are steel instead of aluminum. It seems to have been stripped of the original paint, and the end cap painted to match the aluminum. They were a nice unit, and a lot of things were tested in them before being offered in the Airstream line. If it's in reasonable shape, probably worth restoring. As U B said about the floor and frame, also I suspect the axles are finished. The metal that is in the picture looks good, and if the rest of it is that good you made a good find. You will have to get it at the right price, as there is a lot of $$$ restoring it.
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 09:05 PM   #4

1976 Argosy 20
Miami Beach , Florida
Thanks for the information.. very helpFul . So, I'm assuming I don't have to repaint it? I like the stripped look..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBWELL View Post
Looks like an Argosy 24 FT. The end caps are steel instead of aluminum. It seems to have been stripped of the original paint, and the end cap painted to match the aluminum. They were a nice unit, and a lot of things were tested in them before being offered in the Airstream line. If it's in reasonable shape, probably worth restoring. As U B said about the floor and frame, also I suspect the axles are finished. The metal that is in the picture looks good, and if the rest of it is that good you made a good find. You will have to get it at the right price, as there is a lot of $$$ restoring it.
MiamiStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 08:30 AM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Thanks for the information.. very helpFul . So, I'm assuming I don't have to repaint it? I like the stripped look..
Hi

Repainting or not is way down the road on a restore of a "found in a field" trailer. You may well be pulling the shell as part of the basic repair work. There might also be damage here or there to the shell it's self.

Until you know more about what's what ( and that may only happen once the shell is off ), I'd keep a pretty good chunk of change reserved for the rebuild budget. You might not spend it all, but you easily could. Is that number X or is it Y? Who knows, the reserve should be in the tens of thousands of dollars.

Bob
Old 09-26-2021, 10:02 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Salisbury , Maryland
I had a 1974 same layout.. I bought it in 1994 for $2,500 it was in good shape.. It could of been stripped and polished at one point
Thonevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 07:27 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
1999 30' Excella 1000
White Haven , Pennsylvania
Honestly. Unless you're looking for a restoration project. It's usually more cost effective to get a working model as a starting point. Appliance costs add up quickly. Floor repairs. Plumbing, electrical, axles, tires,brakes on and on.
Otherwise I would say the price would have to be way less than what I see for empty shells on ebay. People are nuts with asking price these days
Gkiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:44 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

All RV prices are insane right now. Trying to find a deal, or even a reasonable price seems to be in the "not going to happen" category. Yes, you can find a private seller who isn't in tune with this, but most are.

The traditional price for this sort of "find" is maybe $1,000 simply to give the owner *something*.

As far as the re-do, it is not unusual to find folks spending a couple years and many thousands of dollars getting into the project. They then find there is still way more work to do. The project then gets abandoned and who knows what happens to the remains. If you get into rebuilding the frame / floor / this /that costs and storage space get pretty crazy.

No, this is not to say you should not dive in. If 5 years of having the barn taken up by the project is "free" that very much makes a difference. So does the fact that your brother runs a welding shop . Everybody's situation is a bit different.

Bob
Old 09-27-2021, 01:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
If it is stripped & the end caps painted, it could be left as-is...minus the "slime coat". Another possibility is, it could have also been stripped and the whole thing painted silver...

Unless you can post some info (& or pics) of the interior condition, it's hard to say what current "market value" is. While not currently updated, this Price vs Condition Guide should give you an idea of what to look for in assessing the value. IMO, the numbers should be 1.5-2+ times what they are on the website for the current estimating purposes.

Good luck if you decide to go for it! A restoration is a lot of work - but very satisfying! And who knows, you may have a diamond in the rough once all that slime is washed off - that's easily the first step!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 08:20 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Omaha , Nebraska
Just a few thoughts.

This being bare metal that looks like it is in decent condition is a HUGE plus. I have been stripping our Argosy slowly for weeks. It is NOT a fun process. NOT FUN. I wished we'd found ours already stripped. And the endcaps painted to match, A-frame painted and it looks like the black trim inserts are there - someone did a decent job.

The metal looks great - needs a bath.
Having the awning is a plus.
From the picture the glass, compartment doors, banana wraps, step, KT lock and trims are all there too.
Looks like a nice find.

We purchased a 1975 26' Argosy last year for $2900 - it was in "okay" shape.

It is currently in "shell off" restoration process.
The floor was rotted completely at the bathroom and the dinette. (common). Was not noticeable until you began to take things apart.
Other than that everything was in great shape underneath. Frame was great - welder replaced a couple outriggers only because I had already purchased them, ha. Insulation look nearly new in all areas with the exception of the bathroom and dinette in the belly pan.

Yes, it can be costly but once they are redone they are a solid little trailer.

If you move forward and have any questions or would like to see pictures of what we've done so far - just ask.

Good luck.
hselinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 09:56 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Henderson , Kentucky
Yes ARGOSY. AS FOR WORTH ONE PIC IS INSUFFIENT. As for restoration cost that may depend on your anticipated use. A few areas to check: open door and look at the wood beside door threshold? Is carpet replaced? Use a ice pick or suitable substitution and poke flooring to find any soft spots. Look inside battery and around water heater, beside toilet, and up front by water tank and under vanities. Those were my trouble spots on 76 Argosy 26 I see WC covered and since paint removed you may have a well kept item. Look around windows for seal leaks. Any water spots, you even have hub caps, very special. Open awning to see condition and if original. What are tire Mft date. That gives you hints. Air up tire and raise one and see if axle flexes. Check electric and appliances. Gently clean exterior. Brakes, bearings, tires, new LP regulator, and lights, maybe ready to move. As for “tens of thousands” that is only if terrible condition and want new like resto. And then that is unimaginable high, maybe $10k if new ac, water heater and interior upholstery-flooring, curtains, carpeting redo. If handy you may do. Put up more pics and get better info. But I like your chances and good adventures. Mine looked worse and bought for $2500 and for $2500 got brakes, tires, bearing, lights, new LP and brake and 7way connection and hauled 4hours home to Kentucky. For several years thought of painting, but hey, use and enjoy. I just got back from Yellowstone. Last year Grand Canyon. And few trips to FL and north.
Old 10-10-2021, 12:59 PM   #12
G-Ranch

1970 25' Tradewind
Smyrna , Georgia
Budget for Restoration

I found this one on a farm almost 3 years ago. Lot of new appliances/air conditioner/ axles/tires, etc. - north of $30k in parts and Materials.
Dismantling-cleaning- new fabrication was 3,000 man hours. At $25/hour ( cheap labor estimate for work performed).
So over $100K at least. My next build will go faster ..... somewhat.

Great news though....Dear Wife loves it. 😁
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3DDB9EAE-587C-4FE4-ABAB-BC3F33C98E41.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	597.4 KB
ID:	405975  
G-Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 07:58 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1989 35' Argosy 5th Wheel
1979 rgosy 27
Danville , Vermont
Argosy barn find

Hello, In response to your request for info. I believe this is the same model that i once owned. I do not think factory ever put out an argosy unpainted. I have seen several like this that owner stripped the paint to make it more like an airstream. The front and rear caps were molded steel or sheet metal on the argosy. All other panels are aluminum and same spec as airstream cousin. I had the same configuration as you described but gaucho couch across front with dinette on front driver side by window.
fordfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 07:54 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
Flint , Michigan
Re: Barn Find

I can’t tell the length of the trailer. Others have suggested 23’-26’. Those are pretty good suggestions I’d say. I’d need to see some interior pics to say anything other than generalizations, so let me tell you my experience.

I bought a 1978 Argosy 30’ 2 yrs. ago for $2,450. It was in good condition, all original with no detectable rot or rust through. Mine had sat in a Trailer park for most of its life. Not too many miles on her.
The flooring had been replaced w/vinyl snap together floating flooring. Looks good. The Water Pump was disconnected and the Fresh Water tank had been removed but came with it. They had used only ‘City’ water. There had been damage to the subfloor which had been repaired by replacing the forward 4’ of the subfloor. From pictures and their description the damage had been confined to that area. The Refrigerator was not working. The rest of the appliances were - Stove, A/C, Furnace, Water heater, exhaust fans and interior lights. Some of the external lights were not working. Brakes were in very good condition as were the hubs. The axels still flexed but I have no reference to what they should be. I understand that they age regardless of use so I’m assuming they have to be replaced. I do have 2 waste tanks and the valves still work as does the toilet. I haven’t used the shower yet other than to see that it still worked.

I hope that helps you some. Keep us informed. We’re always curious to know that another one is back in use!!
Whamm511 is offline   Reply With Quote