Old 08-20-2018, 05:24 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Concord , NC
Hello from a New Member

As a new member, I just wanted to say hello and that I appreciate all the info that is shared on the forum. In a short time I have been able to learn a lot of info that will hopefully guide me down the correct path in the restoration of an Argosy trailer. I'm not exactly sure of the TOS here so correct me if I am wrong, but I have posted a wanted ad in the classifieds for a 28-30' trailer. Still on the hunt for the right one but hopefully she won't evade me for too much longer! Thanks again and glad to be a part of the community.

RV
Racer_Vol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:34 PM   #2
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Welcomed to the forum. There is a lot of information here. Spend some time reading about the coaches you want to own. Learn about tires, DC electrical systems, model flaws, warranty extension, surface coatings, hitches, tow vehicles, plumbing, and similar subjects that allow you to make a better purchase. Also spend some time with the Colonial videos. Long, long, Honeymoon videos can be helpful too.

Good luck with your research. Looking forward to seeing your smile down the road. Pat

Note the blue box at the upper right corner of the page. Enter the subject of interest, hit the search button and see what comes up. It works reasonably well now. Then you can ask folks specific questions of interest.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:35 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Concord , NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Welcomed to the forum. There is a lot of information here. Spend some time reading about the coaches you want to own. Learn about tires, DC electrical systems, model flaws, warranty extension, surface coatings, hitches, tow vehicles, plumbing, and similar subjects that allow you to make a better purchase. Also spend some time with the Colonial videos. Long, long, Honeymoon videos can be helpful too.

Good luck with your research. Looking forward to seeing your smile down the road. Pat

Note the blue box at the upper right corner of the page. Enter the subject of interest, hit the search button and see what comes up. It works reasonably well now. Then you can ask folks specific questions of interest.
Thank you for the welcome and the advice. I have been around vehicles, trailers, towing, etc. all my life so I am comfortable with the workings of most of the sub-systems and general towing topics. The things I am really looking to learn are the particulars on how these trailers are constructed. Things like door and window trim and seals, interior wall construction, original parts availability, etc.

Although it may be frowned upon by the purists in the group, my wife and I are looking to completely renovate the trailer and use it for her business so I am not so picky on the floor plan of the trailer so that opens us up to a lot of options. We want an Argosy because she wants it painted and while I am not a purist, I do see it as heresy to paint an Airstream! To have the space she needs, we are looking in the 28-30' range and would prefer to have as many windows as possible for natural light.

Thanks again for the message and we are looking forward to the journey!
Old 08-21-2018, 06:01 PM   #4
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer_Vol View Post
-- snip -- looking to completely renovate the trailer and use it for her business -- snip --
Lots of folks have renovated to make their coach fit their needs.

Issue 1 - the stuff inside and outside needs to balance. Layouts that place weight over axles and low in the coach makes a difference.

Issue 2 - the AS is a flexible frame that uses the shell to support the frame. Use care in modifying that design feature.

Issue 3 - the AS construction can be improved. Spend some time reading about what other folks have done and why.

Good luck with your project. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:31 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Terrell , North Carolina
Welcome, lots of knowledge here on the forum. Whatever you are getting ready to do chances are someone on here has been through it.
I was looking around the other day on Craigslist and saw a 30' in Texas and a 28' in Michigan( I think).

I'm in the middle of a shell off restoration, so if you need any pics of the guts let me know!

happy hunting!
dhbinkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 05:58 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Concord , NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbinkley View Post
Welcome, lots of knowledge here on the forum. Whatever you are getting ready to do chances are someone on here has been through it.
I was looking around the other day on Craigslist and saw a 30' in Texas and a 28' in Michigan( I think).

I'm in the middle of a shell off restoration, so if you need any pics of the guts let me know!

happy hunting!
Thank you for the heads up on those units! For whatever reason it appears that Texans are very proud of their trailers as the prices there have been double for trailers in worse condition than I have seen elsewhere. There is currently a killer deal listed in Indiana on a 30' in really good shape, but the seller doesn't respond, guess that comes with the territory. I have been negotiating on a 28' in Georgia so I am hopeful that we can make a deal.

Thanks for the offer on the photos. Most of what I have seen are wide angle, overall views of empty shells and frames. What I have been hunting for are close ups of the details. I understand the basics of how the trailers are constructed but the devil is in the details and I am missing that at the moment. Hopefully I will have my own to study soon!