Old 09-03-2018, 07:13 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Concord , NC
Hello from a New Argosy Owner!

After searching for a few months we were finally able to close a deal on our Argosy trailer, a 1974 model 28'! We found her on Facebook in Atlanta which is not too far away from our home in Charlotte. The sellers were terrific to work with which was a relief because we had several bad experiences on some other sites.

From our conversations with them we were confident of the condition of the trailer so we went ahead and purchased new wheels and tires, rented a truck, and headed south. Met up Sunday morning to look her over and closed the deal shortly thereafter.

The location allowed us to work on the trailer, so I swapped out the tires and re-packed all the wheel bearings before hitting the road. The lights were missing so we headed to a Walmart about 1/4 mile down the road and bought some tow lights. Only snag was the cable was to short and I had to whip up an extension right quick. Fortunately we were already at the Walmart.. The ride home was uneventful which is always a relief when towing an unknown vehicle.

My wife and I are so excited to get started on our renovations, but those will not begin for a couple of months. The previous owners began a restoration so the trailer has been gutted already (which was great because it made it easy to inspect and saved me from some dirty work!). The delay is because I am going to do all the design work ahead of actually performing any physical work (and spending any money) outside of inspecting and cleaning. The trailer is going to be used for my wife's business so some of her requirements are going to dictate that we build a new frame for the trailer. Not going to go full on Darkspeed style with 10" frame rails and a body lift, but we are going use his concept of removing the flooring from the stack-up of the frame and shell.

One last thing because I am getting long winded here, but we have a lot of new and original parts that we are not going to use that I would like to go to a good home. I assume proper protocol is to post these in a classified ad so I will do that, but a few things we will be getting rid of are below. Send me a PM if interested and I can send photos. Maybe we can work something out.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading and we are excited to be part of the Argosy family!

RV

• New in box MaxxFan 7000K
  • New in box MaxxFan 5100k
  • New in box Sensar IV tv antenna
  • 2 new in box sandard roof vents
  • bunks and bunk cabinetry
  • 7 storage bins for under bunks
  • fresh water tank
  • stove / oven
  • heater
  • kitchen sink
  • bathtub
  • misc. interior panels, doors, trim, etc.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8192.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	442.2 KB
ID:	321451

Name:	DSC_0154.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	253.5 KB
ID:	321452

Name:	DSC_0155.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	272.8 KB
ID:	321453
Racer_Vol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Welcome to the forums and to Argosy ownership. We own 2 of them. Our 1974 28ft was our first. I did a shell off floor replacement and changed the layout from a rear to a center bath. I am in the process of remodeling our 1978 6.0 Minuet (20ft).
Old 09-04-2018, 04:17 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Knoxville , TN
Look forward to seeing your build. I am curious as to why you are bulking up the frame? Also I am sending you a PM on the Maxxair fans.
Eric 26 Argo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:56 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Concord , NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric 26 Argo View Post
Look forward to seeing your build. I am curious as to why you are bulking up the frame? Also I am sending you a PM on the Maxxair fans.
Eric,

Thank you. Hopefully I can remain disciplined enough to keep a build thread going with it. There are two main requirements that are pushing us in the direction of a stronger frame.

First is stability when parked. The goal is that my wife will be able to tow the trailer on her own to where she wants to do business and establish a stable and sound platform on which to work. We discussed using the standard stabilizers, but she is really drawn to the "one button push" options like the Ground Control TT rather than having to deploy the stabilizers on her own. After reading many posts I have come to understand that these stabilizers would likely damage the trailer in its standard configuration so a stronger frame is in order.

Secondly her job will require quite a bit more water than a standard trailer is equipped to carry. Increasing the height of the frame will add stiffness as well as depth to be able to carry all the tanks under the floor where they can be situated over the axles as well as being nice and low. I don't want to comment on the particulars yet because I am still designing everything, but this is why we are going to plan for a few months before buying / building anything.

A final reason for building a new frame is simply preference. I don't have the trailer all the way apart yet, but I can see enough to know that I will spend considerable time doing repair work and cleaning rust. I would rather spend my time welding than cleaning off rust only to find that I need to replace more parts.

As for the fans, here are some images. Thank you for your interest.

RV

Name:	DSC_0111.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	257.9 KB
ID:	321520

Name:	DSC_0112.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	321521

Name:	DSC_0113.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	321522
Old 09-04-2018, 07:03 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Concord , NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeocamperAS View Post
Welcome to the forums and to Argosy ownership. We own 2 of them. Our 1974 28ft was our first. I did a shell off floor replacement and changed the layout from a rear to a center bath. I am in the process of remodeling our 1978 6.0 Minuet (20ft).
Thank you! Your trailer is beautiful, love the color. The more people I see doing a shell off the more confidence I have that we can pull this off!
Old 09-05-2018, 07:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
I love the Argosy 's welcome!
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote