Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2005, 08:44 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Hi! I'm going to look tomorrow at a 1973 Argosy 24. The man says it's been up on blocks for the past 7 years before he bought it. He's sure everything works. I'll check it out for fit and tightness. Anything special I need to look for? He's asking $3500 OBO. How much should I try to buy it for? And...are these Argosy's built with less integrity or attention than other Airstreams? Why don't they make them anymore? Just started reading about them, so I'm sorry if I'm asking questions that have already been answered on this forum. I'll keep reading...the rest of you jump in and educate me! Thanks
sierrajb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 08:59 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrajb
Hi! I'm going to look tomorrow at a 1973 Argosy 24. The man says it's been up on blocks for the past 7 years before he bought it. He's sure everything works. I'll check it out for fit and tightness. Anything special I need to look for? He's asking $3500 OBO. How much should I try to buy it for? And...are these Argosy's built with less integrity or attention than other Airstreams? Why don't they make them anymore? Just started reading about them, so I'm sorry if I'm asking questions that have already been answered on this forum. I'll keep reading...the rest of you jump in and educate me! Thanks
Check out this link. It deals with Airstreams, but Argosy's are Airstreams too. It will give you a general guide of ewhat to look for. As far as price, the Argosy might be priced a little less then the same size Airstream, but not by much. Good luck!
http://www.vintageairstream.com/rr_t...condition.html

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome Steve to Aistreaming, the forums and a new lifestyle. You will never be alone again. You have found the best book ever written about RVing. Just search these threads for whatever you want to know.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:12 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Hey Steve! Nice going What happened to your "Old Paint" and your Blog? Fixxer's Argosy (is that yours?)
Good luck with your project, check out my webpages...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfixx
Hey all,

I just thought that I would introduce myself. I live in Northern Ohio. I just fell into what appeared to be a good deal on something that looks like a painted Airstreamer. It will be perfect for my two young sons (6 + 8yrs) and me to get away on weekends. My wife is even hinting that it's nice enough for her to consider joining us once in a while.

A couple of weeks ago I called a number in the paper for a '57 Airstream for $3,200 but it was sold. As I was hanging up the phone I hear... "wait, wait, wait, I have another camper but it's an Argosy." I told him I'd be out that weekend to see it and well, the rest is history. $1,500 later and it's sitting in my driveway. It's in good cosmetic shape outside and excellent shape inside. None of the mechanical systems have been checked out yet but since the trailer has been sitting for 6 years I'm not too hopeful. Also I brought it home the one hour trip without the electric brakes.

I did plug the camper in to a 110 circuit. The 12 volt system seems to work fine. Since I've never had such a fancy camper I'm not too desparate to have heat and hot water. Anything like this is a huge step up from our '61 Serro Scotty that I had for a year but just sold on Ebay due to a lack of dry storage for the poor leaky thing. With the Argosy, I don't have a lot of money to sink into getting the fridge, furnace, or hot water heater working, but if I can get running water and the stove functioning I'll be real happy. I don't know anything abut getting the potty working. With respect to the interior all I need to do is fix or replace the curtains. BTW, where do I post pictures? I think their is a members gallery somewhere but I don't see how to get to it to post.

Where do you order basic parts from? I don't have a comprehensive list yet but there will be a bunch of misc. things like gaskets or those plastic things that hold the windows open. I already bought owners and service manuals (which was by the way highway robbery!!!). I've got all winter to pick away at things but maybe we'll tow it down the road to our local state park before the snow flies.

Last question: Can anybody recommend a good RVing for beginners book? Something with advice on travel mostly. I was looking on Amazon and saw tons of books like the usual idiots and dummies guides but what's really good? I hope to see you around...

Thanks alot,

Steve
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 07:22 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
There are several things to look for, I'll try to hit the big ones, most have been posted elsewhere, but if you are going to go pick it up soon, you won't have time to cull the entire forums for the info.
First, Argosies are basically base model Airstreams with steel end caps, instead of aluminum. The steel was cheaper, and cost less to form into the end cap, so the trailer could be sold for less money, and still have a quality product. That is the main reason they are painted, steel rusts (duh). They don't have all the bells and whistles that Airstreams of the samne era had, but to me that means they have less things to break, and require repair.
Second, check the floor for soft spots, the tires for age and dry rot (weather checking, or cracks), and the axles for the proper angle. If you want to know what to look for there, there is an excellent tutorial on Inland RV's website (www.inlandrv.com) when you get there, look for the axle condition info link, it is easy to spot.
Other than that, it possibly could have frame separation issues, doubtful on a shorter trailer, but possible. Look for gaps between the frame rails and the body of the coach at the rear bumper. Step on the bumper, if it moves more than a very small amount relative to the body, it has problems.
I am sure you know to check all the appliances for operation, and make sure it has all its windows.
Good luck, and let us know if you get it. Of course, everyone here wants pictures.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:23 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
'73 Argosy 24 Questions

Greetings sierrajb!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
The Argosy in question may very well be a good buy, but a thorough inspection is in order as nearly as much can go wrong with a coach in "long-term" storage than with one that is in regular use.

If the coach was stored in the open, a thorough examiniation for water damage from leaks is in order as the sealants can dry out and loose their effectiveness even when the rig isn't being used -- particular areas of concern are generally near the door (soft spots in floor anywhere near the door opening), in the vicinity of the refrigerator, as well as below the windows, and the area along the rear wall in the bathroom is also often a trouble spot for moisture -- it is usually wise to visually examine any of the exposed flooring looking for staining -- a small awl can be employed to probe suspect areas for soft spots.

While most of the appliances aren't likely to experience any particular problems with long-term storage (assuming the coach was properly winterized if it was stored in an area with below-freezing winter termperatures); there are two that may suffer from long-term inactivity. The absorbtion refrigerator may prove to be a problem as the amonia compound used for cooling can decompose when the unit is inactive for long periods of time, and the roof air conditioner (if so equipped) may also have some refrigerant issues from the long-term storage. The furnace and water heater aren't likely to suffer any particular issues from storage, but both may need thorough cleaning to remove spider and/or mud dauber nests that may have built up during the storage time.

The Argosy coaches aren't built much differently than their Airstream cousins. The original target audience for the Argosy were mid-priced RV buyers. Most of the appliances and accessories utilized in the Argosy were of the same manufacture as those used in Airstreams, but were usually models with fewer "bells and whistles" -- also, some features that were standard on Airstream were optional on Argosy. The Argosy was something of a test platform for ideas that would one-day find their way onto Airstreams -- the deep-wrap wing windows on the front of all Argosy trailers are one example of a feature found first on Argosy and later on Airstreams. Beside the deep-wrap front windows, the galvanized steel endcaps on the exterior of Argosy trailers was another difference -- these will often have a paint color difference as the endcaps often need repainting far more frequently than the body of the coach.

You also will likely need to be prepared for the likelihood that the LP Tanks will need to be refitted with OPD valves and recertified. During the time that the coach has been stored OPD valves have become a requirement and it is also likely that the tanks haven't been recertified -- the process it well worth the modest investment if the tanks are the original Worthington Aluminum tanks (they are often painted on an Argosy so the magnet test may be needed to verify whether the tanks are steel or aluminum -- if the tanks are steel then it may be more economical to replace the tanks than to recertify and re-valve.

A near given will be that the coach will need new tires as well as bearing service and brake inspection prior to being moved any significant distance. Most seem to agree that ST trailer tires have a life expectancy of from three to seven years -- I just plan on replacing my ST tires after the fifth season of use to avoid tire issues when traveling.

The first-run of the Argosy coaches spanned model years from 1972 through 1979. The name was brought back during the 1980s when Airstream began experimenting with the bonded side panel "square bodied" coaches. "Square" Argosys were manufactured for a few years during the 1980s. I haven't seen definitive information as to why the make/model line was discontinued, but suspect that it was likely related to the energy-crisis/fuel-crunch that was experienced in the US during that time period -- it would also (late 1970s) correspond to the time period when Thor was assuming control of Airstream as well. As an owner of both an Argosy and an Airstream coach, I would be hard-pressed to determine which one is my favorite -- each has its unique charm and personality -- I have to admit that I even like the tambour doors in the cabinets of my Argosy.

The Argosys are fun coaches to own, and you have the additional lattitude of selecting a paint color rather than making the polish/not to polish decision that is faced by Airstream owners. The appointments may be a bit less-deluxe in the Argosy, but I have had no particular issues with construction quality issues on my Minuet -- granted, some of the materials have held up better than others, but there are few competitive coaches around from the same time period to compare with Argosy and Airstream products.

The price vs. condition link that was cited by azflycaster will provide you with good information to evaluate price issues on an Argosy. Typically, until very recently, Argosy coaches were valued somewhat less than similar Airstreams -- that gap has diminished considerably -- there is still a gap, but it is probably something in the range of 10% to 20% at most (and much less for the smaller coaches).

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 08:24 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Kevn & Others,
What a wealth of information. I feel like I've entered a "Socrates Support Group" with all this wisdom floating around in this forum. You guys (and girls) are great! Going shopping today...will try to get pics and post for all. (No doubt, someone will need to hold by hand for posting the pics...ha!). Thanks again to all! God bless! (JB Baldridge aka "sierrajb")
Old 11-11-2005, 08:34 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Argosys are great

Hello and welcome to the forum....We have a 1975 26' Argosy and we love it.. just revived it and it is painted and we are here in Fla for the winter.. Would only go for an another one but 30' rear bedroom with wraparound window.. We have had a 1976 25' Tradewind and prefer Argosys.. Annie
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 09:31 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
sierrajb -- Welcome to the Forums! I looked up the coolest Argosy photo index site, www.argosytrailer.com, but it seems inoperative at the moment. I hope that's not a permanent loss.

At inspection I saw one area of floor rot. Double check the battery compartment. On my 1974 it is located in a roadside access door -- always located near the Univolt in any case. The access door is open to the elements to allow hydrogen venting. The edge of the aluminum tray under the battery should be well caulked to the sides of the enclosure. Probe through any bad caulk and see if you can determine the health of the plywood floor underneath.

Look at the lower edge of the glass on the front wing windows from the outside. There is a thin plastic piece cushioning the edge of the glass from the riveted frame. You can't expect plastic to be worth much after 30 years. I had a leak on one side that had allowed water to collect under the front water tank and rot the floor severely. One indication was small drips of water on the inside window sill -- they flowed behind the interior skin down to the floor. It was impossible to see the floor rot until I had pulled the water tank for other reasons. I don't know how I'd have been able to discover this at inspection. Look carefully behind the front couch anyway.

There is an aluminum extrusion trim piece around the base of the outside skin where it meets the banana wrap going under the trailer. There should be a good caulked seal between this trim and the rear bumper storage tray hinge tab. Otherwise I'd suspect water problems getting to the floor at an important and vulnerable point. It is hard to see or feel some of these areas at inspection without being allowed to disassemble -- not likely, eh?

Another problem area for me was pretty poor aftermarket installation of the aft awning lower arm attachment at the side-banana wrap junction. A dealer had just lag screwed the arm base through the trim piece into the thin C-channel that sits just above the floor. Nothing was caulked and this allowed water to get in and rot about 2' of floor edge under that C-channel.

It'll be tough to check out the AC without a 30 amp circuit. The AC shouldn't be run with anything less than that. See the umbilical plug inside the rear bumper to see what the 30 amp plug looks like; don't use an adapter to a normal house plug to run the AC! We looked at an Overlander whose owner had ruined 2 compressors that way and didn't know why. Campground hookups are 30 amps if you really want to check it out.

The two plastic roof plumbing vents are probably fragile with the gaskets worn out -- a normal maintenance item for new owners. Same for the window & door gaskets. Oasis RV in Tucson is an excellent lower-cost location for parts; they deal well over the phone. inlandrv.com actually has pictures of common maintenance items you will need. Remember to stick with all-aluminum pop rivets for normal maintenance issues (available at local hardwares, though I've found Ace quality to be sub-par). If you've been browsing much, the Olympic rivets you read about are used to replace bucked rivets holding the outside skin in place. You'll be able to figure the difference if you make the purchase. I replaced all my marker light units to gain better reliability -- they were easy to find locally.

I hope the wing windows are in good shape. I think un-tinted replacements are tough to come by. Airstream sells tinted replacements for $$$. If this Argosy doesn't have window rockguards, you will want to install some. Come back to this thread and ask -- there is a very instructive thread in the archives thanks to moderator 'Janet' and another member, 'Janet's Husband.' Talk to InlandRV's Andy if you need to re-coat any of the front or rear galvanized sections; it's hard not to have some bimetallic reaction, paint breakdown & rust.

Best of luck! It will need care, attention & some significant reworking. Just how much will be the issue.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 09:33 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Welcome to the wonderful world of Argosy. I just go out to look at my "Big Twinkie" sitting in the side yard and feel good. Sometimes during the winter I just go out and sit in him and think about spring. These are great coaches. I have a 78 24ft that has been pretty well restored--little by little. It pulls like a dream. I have repainted some areas on it myself with Gloss Ivory spray paint. Believe it or not, it is a perfect match. You cannot tell the areas that have been repainted from the surrounding paint. The paint was certainly not in horrible shape; however, some areas needed sanding and touched up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0024.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	16187  
Attached Images

juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 05:31 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Two very beautiful Argosies, Juel & HappyCampers! Wish the one I looked at today with the intent to buy would have been something like these. However, I'm very sad (and bummed!) to report my findings today. As I drove north on I-35 to Justin, TX I was envisioning the 1973 Argosy 24 I was about to investigate sitting in my own driveway one day soon. According to the seller it was in VERY GOOD SHAPE, ready to go. After only 10 minutes of driving in the country I topped the hill and looked off in the distance to my left. There it was. Parked behind the huge A-frame this oldie showed major signs of neglect: naked metal, spray-can touch-ups, poorly patched square panels of aluminum, tires that screamed of a blowout, rust on the frame, etc. The closer I got the more my stomach turned upside down. At first I thought about turning around and forgetting the whole thing. Then, I thought, "No...I'm gonna take a closer look. It might not be as bad on the inside." I was dead wrong.
I'd be here all night explaining what I saw. Many of you restorers know what I'm talking about. I went through the paces with the owner, looking at the sagging, rotted flooring and the missing or broken hardware and appliances. He could tell I was not going to buy it. I was kind and respectful, understanding this man was not the reason for all the abuse and neglect. In fact, according to him, it looked much better than it did when he bought it. (how sad)
As a retired paint and body man, I'm very capable of rebuilding these dream boats. I've rebuilt a 1985 inboard ski boat and my 1985 Starcraft 24' popup. This would be a project I could do, and would do...IF I had the time and money. However, I'm out of BOTH. Even though I KNOW I could have given the man $1000 and taken it home today, I had to turn it down. A project like this would take at least 2-3 years (given my present ministry obligations...I'm a preacher and a Bible college prof.) and it would have cost $3-4K...easy. I simply had to let it go.

Well, that's my sad saga for today. Thanks to all for your kind direction and words of wisdom. I have taken them to heart and will continue my search for the right trailer for my family of 4. If you see one that is clean, road-ready, dependable...all for under $5000 and within a sensible driving distance of Fort Worth, TX please drop me a line. Also, if you know of anyone who would be interested in this project Argosy, let me know. I told the owner I would ask you all to be on the lookout for a potential buyer. I'm sure he'd sell for $1-2000. His name is Alan Spiro and his number is 214-566-0739. If you call him, tell him JB (the little bald-headed guy that helped him find the VIN number) told you to call. Thanks!
Old 11-11-2005, 06:39 PM   #12
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by balrgn
Hey Steve! Nice going What happened to your "Old Paint" and your Blog? Fixxer's Argosy (is that yours?)
Good luck with your project, check out my webpages...
I can't figure out how I got dragged into this thread? Though I've made fast friends with JB I don't know how Andre and the good Chaplain got the idea that I'm the poster that started this tread...was there a bug?

Steve (aka Fixxer)
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 06:52 PM   #13
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Thumbs down leave at first sight

Quote:
...According to the seller it was in VERY GOOD SHAPE, ready to go.....
Tough luck! Life goes on...What do you think of this camper in the classifieds?

http://www.airforums.com/class...1&cat=6&page=1

I'm sure that your patience will pay off because it's a good time of the year to be shopping. Best wishes,

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 10:54 PM   #14
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I feel your pain!

Quote:
I simply had to let it go.
I had a similar thing happen to me. http://www.airforums.com/forum...one-16614.html
Sometimes you have to walk away. For me it was the right thing to do. If you read the thread about my sad tale, look at post #9. I bought that trailer and could not be more pleased. Hang in there!
BTW, I had to drive 900 miles each way and lost my deposit as well.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 08:16 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
sfixx (Steve),
Wouldn't you know it? That one sold before I could get to it. Had potential, huh?

asflycaster (and others),
Thanks for the encouraging posts. I'll keep looking....
Old 11-17-2005, 01:07 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfixx
I can't figure out how I got dragged into this thread? Though I've made fast friends with JB I don't know how Andre and the good Chaplain got the idea that I'm the poster that started this tread...was there a bug?

Steve (aka Fixxer)
Don't know how you you got drug in, see the post says "Originally Posted by sfixx", freeked me out. The the thought of you parting with "Old Paint"

Glad to see your still around. What happened to your Blog?
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote