Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2008, 10:17 AM   #21
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff23 View Post
Okay, you're all very convincing...so what am I looking for....four 15" rims (6 lug) with a C or D load rated tire?
The wheels should be fine, but the tires themselves would need replacement. Depending on your preference, the correct size should be 7.00x15, or ST225/75R15, both in load range D.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:29 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Oxford , Connecticut
A local trailer shop has four brand new wheelsets that were ordered for somebody that backed out of the deal. He's willing to give them to me at cost. I think he said that they're American Racing 15" 6-lug trailer rims with a D range tire mounted on them. I'm not sure if I'm willing to give up the original look of the Argosy hubcaps but the simplicity of a straight wheel swap with a quality wheelset at a good price has a certain attraction to it. So the Argosy is a six lug pattern right?
Duff23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:35 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Original Hubcaps

Quote:
A local trailer shop has four brand new wheelsets that were ordered for somebody that backed out of the deal. He's willing to give them to me at cost. I think he said that they're American Racing 15" 6-lug trailer rims with a D range tire mounted on them. I'm not sure if I'm willing to give up the original look of the Argosy hubcaps but the simplicity of a straight wheel swap with a quality wheelset at a good price has a certain attraction to it. So the Argosy is a six lug pattern right?
I have the same hubcaps on my '83 Excella http://www.airforums.com/photos/show...0&userid=17830, I'd give that original look up in a heartbeat! Congrats on your new Argy!!!
Old 07-03-2008, 10:53 AM   #24
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Yes, 6 lug, 1900-2500 pound rated wheels, zero offset. As long as the replacement wheels are steel wheels, you probably can simply put the old hubcaps on the new wheels, and no one will be the wiser.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:12 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Oxford , Connecticut
Okay, I've got a little more wheel info. They're American Racing Outlaw II 15" rims with 225/75 Hercules Water Shedder D-range tires. I don't think I can go wrong at dealer cost, I'll pick those up tonight.

Lastly, I know I need a 2-5/16 ball, what about tongue height?
Old 07-03-2008, 11:19 AM   #26
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Congratulations D23!! She looks very nice. ov63 addressed the tires. I miss my white walls, they looked great, but safety first!!

If I recall you're in Oxford. We can certainly get together if my time allows and you need a hand with anything. I'm no expert. Just a handy guy like yourself.

I believe tongue height is 19" or 19.5". someone confirm. I forgot.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:25 AM   #27
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatismytruc

Yes, that's factory ball mount height. It'll be close enough to get home, then he can measure exactly.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:31 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Oxford , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatismytruc View Post
Congratulations D23!! She looks very nice. ov63 addressed the tires. I miss my white walls, they looked great, but safety first!!

If I recall you're in Oxford. We can certainly get together if my time allows and you need a hand with anything. I'm no expert. Just a handy guy like yourself.

Oxford is correct. Thanks for the offer...I'm sure I'll take you up on it at some point. Duff
Old 07-03-2008, 12:15 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Okay, I've got a little more wheel info. They're American Racing Outlaw II 15" rims with 225/75 Hercules Water Shedder D-range tires. I don't think I can go wrong at dealer cost, I'll pick those up tonight.

Lastly, I know I need a 2-5/16 ball, what about tongue height?
Those will look great on your Argosy.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:45 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Glad to see you take the plunge. I don't think you will be sorry. I doubt you will have much trouble figuring out how to operate the trailer so enjoy.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:50 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
That's a fine looking unit, and you can already see the immense outpouring of expertise in the group to help you get it ready for the road.

Wishing you many happy miles ahead.

Whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 03:53 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I have those wheels on my Argosy - they look great... (just don't keep doing turns just to see the trailer wheels when you turn! Don't know WHO did that after they bought theirs.... hmmmm...). Just make sure they're the right bolt pattern.. I believe 6 x 5.5" is the bolt pattern. You will also need longer lug BOLTS.... not nuts. OR, you can have the dealer change them out for studs and nuts.

Also, it's a good idea to pull the drums and check the brakes... mine had two broken shoe springs when I bought mine. Repacking of the bearings would be good too.

I'm sure it's exciting ... have fun on the trip!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 03:57 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
BREA , California
congrats, and thats a good lookin trailer.
have fun, be safe driving, and keep us posted!
Old 07-03-2008, 04:20 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Oxford , Connecticut
Thanks all! How about a good campground recommendation for the ride home...somewhere along I-81 in VA or PA?
Old 07-03-2008, 04:34 PM   #35
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
By a strange coincidence, I just browbeat several forums members into contributing some suggested campgrounds in the area you will be traveling...
Here's a link to them:http://www.airforums.com/reviews/showcat.php?cat=5
Old 07-08-2008, 06:50 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
What's The Word?

Duff,
What's the words? Did you get the new wheels and tires? Did you get it home safe? Is it what you expected? Inquiring minds want to know. How about some pictures too.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:10 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Oxford , Connecticut
Well I'm sorry to keep you waiting, but the trailer made it home safely. We (I took my 8 yr old son with me) left CT on Friday at 9 a.m. and arrived in VA at 6 p.m. It was a long drive so I didn't hesitate a bit when the sellers insisted that we spend the night. They were very nice people...they took us out to their friend's 4th of July barbecue and then over to the local fireworks show. The party goers were anxious to meet "the crazy people that came all the way from CT to buy a trailer"! It was all in good fun. Then we settled in for our first night in the Argosy (I promised my son that we'd sleep in the trailer that night) in their driveway. The next morning they made us a nice hot breakfast, then we swapped out the trailer wheels, took care of the paper work and hit the road by noon. We drove straight home, albeit at a slower pace with the Argosy in tow, and didn't get home until just after midnight. Suprisingly enough it wasn't until about the 18th hour on the road that I really started to question my sanity.

The trailer was as expected so I'm happy about that. A/C works, refrigerator works, lights and fans work. No dents to speak of. Windows are intact. I haven't tried anything gas yet. I know a copper fitting is broken under the sink so I haven't put water to it.

Things that I plan on fixing/repairing: replace the replacement carpet (probably with a Pergo or similar), buy window dressings (because there aren't any), replace those little furry things in the window slots (they're all bunched up and make it hard to open the windows), and reupholster the couch. It's got an old smell to it so I'm hoping that getting rid of the carpet will take care of that.

I'll post pictures soon.
Duff
Old 07-08-2008, 07:26 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Duff,
I am glad to hear that everything went smoothly and you are happy with it. Now comes the really fun part. Hopefully your repairs will be small and your improvements go off without a hitch.

Quote:
Surprisingly enough it wasn't until about the 18th hour on the road that I really started to question my sanity.

Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt. There was a thread a ways back where a person was traveling from Washington State to southern Pennsylvania to pick up a trailer. So he they have both you and me beat.

Quote:
The trailer was as expected so I'm happy about that. A/C works, refrigerator works, lights and fans work. No dents to speak of. Windows are intact. I haven't tried anything gas yet. I know a copper fitting is broken under the sink so I haven't put water to it.

Sounds like you got a cream puff. She should be easy to get into traveling trim.

Quote:
Things that I plan on fixing/repairing: replace the replacement carpet (probably with a Pergo or similar), buy window dressings (because there aren't any), replace those little furry things in the window slots (they're all bunched up and make it hard to open the windows), and reupholster the couch. It's got an old smell to it so I'm hoping that getting rid of the carpet will take care of that.
Quote:

I'll post pictures soon.
Duff
Take it slow, steady, and easy. You don't want to get burnt out doing all the upgrades. Can't wait for the pictures.

It was also nice that you had an accommodating previous owner. Just like your son, I made my wife "camp" out with me in the driveway the first night we brought each of ours home. She humored me and went along with it. It also goes a long way towards getting to know your trailer and what you need in it to camp. Better to discover you need something while camping in the driveway. That way you can run into the house and get it. Instead of being 100 mile from home and realize you don't have some necessity.

PS. I saw you commented on BOATDOC's Argosy restoration. Isn't that some restoration??? If you can find it you really have to read his other posts where he documents the restoration. It is a piece of artwork.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:00 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Glad to hear you made it back safe and sound. Sounds like you got a great trailer and made some new friends in the transaction. What could be better than that? Can't wait to see pictures!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:27 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Duff...glad to hear you made it home safe and sound with the new baby and had your "maiden voyage" already with your son. Very cool. You know the sellers are good folks when they had you stay over, took you out and included you in their life, and eve made ou breakfast! ... That's a great way to get a new treasure...and begine a new adventure... Congrats!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote