Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-11-2011, 09:16 PM   #1
Whitefawn

1978 Argosy 24
Scottsville , Virginia
Do Argosys enjoy the same "status" as silver Airstreams?

I heard that there "was a time" when Argosys were not allowed at Airstream Club functions, and were reluctantly accepted as part of the "official" Airstream family. I am crazy about the silver meat-loafs, ever since we owned a '72 Overlander. But we sold it and are now renovating our '78 Argosy. I am wondering if there is (or was) an open or hidden prejudice against Argosys. I am curious about the kind of reception we will get on camping trips compared to the enthusiasm and curiosity we received when we were camping in the Overlander. What are your thoughts?
whitefawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:22 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
Olathe , Kansas
I can't speak for anyone else, but a very good friend of mine once pointed out that beauty is beauty regardless of the packaging.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Whitefawn,

I, along with many others, think that Argosys are cool. I especially like the panoramic windows, now on new Airstreams.

Yes, it was true that Argosys, along with motorhomes, were not allowed in WBCCI, but now they are accepted, and have been for many years. I am sure that there are those who still believe that Argosys are not "true" Airstreams.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefawn View Post
I heard that there "was a time" when Argosys were not allowed at Airstream Club functions, and were reluctantly accepted as part of the "official" Airstream family. I have to admit that I am crazy about the silver meat-loafs, but we sold our Overlander and are now renovating one of our two 24' Argosies. I am wondering if there is (or was) an open or hidden prejudice against Argosies. We won't be road ready for several months, but I am curious about the kind of reception we will get compared to the enthusiasm and curiosity we received when we were camping in the 1972 Overlander. The Argosy is growing on me (now that we have sunk lots of time and $$ into it), but I wonder if even I could get as excited at the site of an Argosy camping next to me as I would if it was a silver Airstream! What are your thoughts?
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:36 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Do Argosys enjoy the same "status" as silver Airstreams?

I have owned my Minuet for the better part of eight seasons, and have attended numerous WBCCI functions with it in tow. Without exception, I have always been welcomed when towing the little coach to a WBCCI function. The only negative that I have ever experienced was an instance of a few comments that I overheard while in the VAC Parade onto the International Rally grounds a few years ago. We were stopped near an intersection, and the top was down on my Cadillac and there were a number of people in the audience nearby and the subject of their conversation was something along the line of what a shame it was that those "painted" coaches were ever allowed into the club. For the most part, I do think that those viewpoints are fading into a minority . . . . in fact, I believe that is was something of a minority opoinion even then as the open house comments during that rally were all favorable among those whom toured my coach.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:07 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
I have owned my Minuet for the better part of eight seasons, and have attended numerous WBCCI functions with it in tow. Without exception, I have always been welcomed when towing the little coach to a WBCCI function. The only negative that I have ever experienced was an instance of a few comments that I overheard while in the VAC Parade onto the International Rally grounds a few years ago. We were stopped near an intersection, and the top was down on my Cadillac and there were a number of people in the audience nearby and the subject of their conversation was something along the line of what a shame it was that those "painted" coaches were ever allowed into the club. For the most part, I do think that those viewpoints are fading into a minority . . . . in fact, I believe that is was something of a minority opoinion even then as the open house comments during that rally were all favorable among those whom toured my coach.

Kevin

The WBCCI club, has gone through some changes, and more are forthcoming.

The original club was for Airstream trailers. Then Airstream motorhomes were accepted, as I recall.

Then, FINALLY, if it was an Airstream product, it was accepted too.

Many club members have recently resigned, basically because of super BAD management, and officer favoritism out the gazzooo.

The original club was great, but many felt it got to be a dictatorship.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:53 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I was subjected to a pretty coarse dressing-down about our Argosy from a very old WBCCI member. I was told, among other things, the Club started its downward spiral "The day they voted to let those God-D****d painted trailers in the club!"
All the other comments I ever received were positive, but it does show a touch of resentment about them...
Old 09-12-2011, 06:25 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I was subjected to a pretty coarse dressing-down about our Argosy from a very old WBCCI member. I was told, among other things, the Club started its downward spiral "The day they voted to let those God-D****d painted trailers in the club!"
All the other comments I ever received were positive, but it does show a touch of resentment about them...
Wow, that sucks.

A couple I know received a rather nasty lecture about camping together before marriage (this was many years ago). That was their first and last WBCCI rally, and I don't blame them. He's passed on now, though.

I wondered when I joined WDCU how my B190 would be received at the first rally. Turns out, it's all good. Half the people at the rally wanted to tour it! At various WDCU rallies I can remember seeing several different motorhomes (a B190 other than mine, some of the fiberglass ones, and some of the aluminum ones) and Argosy trailers. All welcome!

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:50 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Mont-Laurier , Québec
I love my Argosy...

I have owned a 1979 Airstream (classic), a 1986 Argosy (squarestream) and I now have a 1977 Argosy Minuet. I once was a member of the WBCCI but I am not anymore even thought I know Argosys are accepted in the Club. This being said, I found that my Argosys (painted) were easier to keep nice and shiny than the Airstreams (aluminium). My Minuet is a beauty... and I love it...!!!
adore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:57 AM   #9
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Quote:
among other things, the Club started its downward spiral "The day they voted to let those God-D****d painted trailers in the club!"
Interesting comment to make. Probably derived from a time when perhaps only the wealthy could afford one and as a consequence the folks in attendance at rallies etc were of a similar background, upbringing and social standing. Of course, thats all changed now. I know folks that can barely write there own name but have money to burn, can buy what they want when they want.
I am sure if they could have got away with vetting every prospective club member with a means test and education background they would have done so!

Bex

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:07 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Yes, the times are a changin' for the better. I read another post here a few weeks back and it had an image of a 197? Argosy advertisement claiming of all things: Now there is a choice for ANYONE. Funny thing is that among the 20 or so "anyone's" pictured in the ad, not one of them was a person of color. So, we have crossed that divide as well as the acceptance of the "lesser brand" at all functions and that's a good thing!
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:47 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
I can't even think of how I'd respond to that. I know it would probably qualify me for a grievance, if not the need for a lawyer. That's why we avoid camping where there's the likelihood of a dressing-down (or up, for that matter.)

To answer the initial question - we've been very welcome at local NEU rallies. Probably helps that one of the past presidents has an Argosy Minuet herself...

This weekend I had a state park worker say on my arrival, "What? A white Airstream?" Had a nice five minute chat - and I was wearing my Argosy T-shirt, towing my trailer with its ARGOSY vanity plate...

I will admit, I don't think you'll see a fully restored Argosy get top-dollar like some 50s-60s restored Airstreams can garner. That mirror shine has more universal appeal.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:03 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
I wave at them when we're on the road, I'm not sure I'd want my daughter to marry one, though.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:55 AM   #13

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
I can't even think of how I'd respond to that. I know it would probably qualify me for a grievance, if not the need for a lawyer. That's why we avoid camping where there's the likelihood of a dressing-down (or up, for that matter.)

~~
Oh, I have a very good idea how I'd respond, but this is a friendly site so I wouldn't post such things.

If I took a breath or two to plan ahead before popping off, I could make sure that nothing I said gave cause for grievance and STILL make the jerk regret expressing that particular opinion to me.

Maybe there needs to be an SOB intraclub? (Stuffy Old Boneheads) for people who think that opaque paint is significantly different than (and inferior to) clearcoat?

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:04 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
There is a beautiful Argosy trailer (24-26') for sale up here. If anyone's interested, send me a PM and I'll give directions.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:18 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I have been a member of WBCCI for 6 years now. Argosy's and their owners are certainly welcome and appreciated in the club. Can not speak for what might have been in the distant past or what some old member might have said on the side. Argosy is fully accepted in the club and very welcome. The few times I have seen Argosy trailers in a campground the reaction is that everybody in the Caravan lined up to go look at the Argosy and to talk to the owners. To read this forum you would think the WBCCI is a bad thing. Not so. Extremely pleasant organization, good local rallies, good caravans. Maybe I like it because I do not want to run it so I am not fustrated. Going on a rally this weekend. Lake, campground, pontoon boats, food, and 30 or so trailers. How could it get better?
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:46 PM   #16
Whitefawn

1978 Argosy 24
Scottsville , Virginia
Thank you all for the interesting and provocative replies. Somehow, time seems to have leveled the playing field as far as the interiors go in the vintage silver and painted rigs. The same poor design decisions are evident in both: pseudo "double" beds that are 46" wide, dining arrangements in the front-gaucho models that were less than optimal (with the folding pull-out tables), and storage space that can hardly be considered adequate. The differences in the appliances between the "middling" sort and the higher end ones is irrelevant with the ravages of time, and I have grown fond of the lack of a rear storage compartment in our Argosy--the bad design invited water infiltration and damage to our '72 silver Airstream and to many others'. I can't deny that the silver ones have a universal appeal... But I LOVE those front Argosy windows!
whitefawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:36 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Interesting how a non AS can be welcome in the club when a MH with AS on it would not, even if approved by the factory. jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:52 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Interesting how a non AS can be welcome in the club when a MH with AS on it would not, even if approved by the factory. jim
Airstream-branded motorhomes, even the slab-sided modern ones, are indeed welcome in the club. The controversy was over allowing non-Airstream branded mohos (since AS stated they had essentially no intention to build a new full-size moho) in the club.

Is that the same situation as Argosy? I don't think so, given Argosy was built by Airstream in an Airstream-owned factory with essentially Airstream design and engineering. Not sure if getting a moho from another Thor division that shares nothing with the rest of the AS line is the same...

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:44 PM   #19
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Wow, that sucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bex View Post
Interesting comment to make.
Quote:
I can't even think of how I'd respond to that. I know it would probably qualify me for a grievance, if not the need for a lawyer.
Yes, the comment came from an early-80's-year old woman that looked like she wouldn't say "crap" if she had a mouth full of it.
I did tell her we would have brought one of the Airstreams, but we didn't want to look like snobs. She turned an interesting shade of puce, and stalked off.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:51 PM   #20
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
- we've been very welcome at local NEU rallies. Probably helps that one of the past presidents has an Argosy Minuet herself...
nah. irrelevant.

In our group, if you bring enough wine to the campfire, you can pretty much camp in anything you want.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote