Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-11-2004, 12:40 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Dazed 'n confused in AS land...

Hello my new friends...I shuffled out the bills from a weekend garage sale and purchased my new home in the middle of a pasture...I've never owned a travel trailer let alone an AS...now I have to be brought up to speed fast...soon...

I will be renting out my house and living in the '78, 24 ft Argosy ,double bed model, in almost orig. condition...and trying to figure out how to get the propane to fuel the stove and 6 gal HW heater...
and what is a gaucho and are my "endcaps' craking and what needs to be replaced?...

I was given a manual by the PO...and a whirlwind tour yesterday and a whole bunch of keys...

I'm anticipating asking a lot of novice's questions here...and hope getting a bit of advice and inspiration...

I installed Pergo throughout my home...so I have a head start there...And the Dometic frig is fairly new (It cost almost as much as I paid for the TT...I went through the folder of papers the PO unloaded on me.)

Kate ,aka Trailer Buns
Trailerbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 12:52 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Dazed 'n confused in AS land...

Greetings Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerbunny
Hello my new friends...I shuffled out the bills from a weekend garage sale and purchased my new home in the middle of a pasture...I've never owned a travel trailer let alone an AS...now I have to be brought up to speed fast...soon...

I will be renting out my house and living in the '78, 24 ft Argosy ,double bed model, in almost orig. condition...and trying to figure out how to get the propane to fuel the stove and 6 gal HW heater...
and what is a gaucho and are my "endcaps' craking and what needs to be replaced?...

I was given a manual by the PO...and a whirlwind tour yesterday and a whole bunch of keys...

I'm anticipating asking a lot of novice's questions here...and hope getting a bit of advice and inspiration...

I installed Pergo throughout my home...so I have a head start there...And the Dometic frig is fairly new (It cost almost as much as I paid for the TT...I went through the folder of papers the PO unloaded on me.)

Kate ,aka Trailer Buns
You are thinking the right directions - - prioritizing what needs to be done - - and you are right on target when thinking about the safety of your LP system (IMHO). I would suggest hiring an experienced technician to inspect the LP system - - when I had this servie performed on my '78 Minuet 6.0 Metre, it revealed that the regulator was defective, but the refrigerator, range, and furnace were all good - - needing only cleaning and ajustments. The water heater was condemned, not so much due to LP issues, rather the tank had numerous pinholes developing and there was significant rust on the lower surfaces. A section of damaged LP supply line was also found and replaced as a part of this inspection.

In addition, you may find as I did that your LP tanks will need new OPD valves - - if you are fortunate, your coach will have Worthington Aluminum LP tanks that are light weight and ver long-lived (they are definitely worth the investment in new valves). If your tanks need new valves, but are the less expensive steel tanks, you may very well find that new steel tanks with OPD valves are very little more than the cost of refitting an existing steel tank.

Taking the opportunity to spend some time with the manual will help with a number of questions. You will likely also find some appliance-specific manuals among the other papers provided to you by the previous owner - - my Minuet had separate manuals for the range, refrigerator, water heater, toilet, and water pump. As you spend time with the coach and take care of any immediate life-safety issues that may be uncovered in your initial inspections; you will be albe to develop a prioritized list of the restoration/rennovations that you desire.

Good luck with your Argosy 24!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 12:55 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:

Kate ,aka Trailer Buns
Hello, Kate, welcome to the forums!
To answer your questions in order:
First, will you be hauling the trailer around, or will it be parked semi-permanently?
If you are going to haul the trailer, to get LP gas, you will need to take the LP cylinders in to be filled. They are most likely 30 pound cylinders, and if you bought the trailer out of a field, it probably doesn't have the current OPD valves that ar required for them, so you will need to either get new valves installed in your tanks, or make a trip to Camping World and get a new pair of tanks.
A Gauocho is a term for the fold out couch that is found in your trailer. Some trailers have two, instead of a dinette in the front it has another couch.
Your endcaps are the dome pieces outside your trailer on the front and rear, where the upper clearance lights are mounted. Usually Argosies have to have these repainted several times over the course of their lives, as the galvanized steel doesn't allow the paint to stick that well, and the paint starts to peel off.
What kind of floor covering does your trailer have now? Is it carpet, or vinyl?
Are there any soft spots in the floor? That is, any place where the floor feels spongy? If so, it could be an indication of a leak somewhere, either current or past.
If you are going to be towing the trailer, another thing to do would be to get the wheel bearings repacked, and maybe the tires replaced, if they are more than 5-7 years old. If the tires are worn or weather-checked (have cracks in them) they need to be replaced.
If you find anythuing that you can't figure out, or doesn't work for you, post it, and someone will probably be able to talk you through it. Kevin (overlander64) and I both own Argosies, and I recently went through a '77 Argosy 24 mechanically, so either of us can probably answer specific questions.
Terry
Old 07-11-2004, 05:40 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argosy20
Hello, Kate, welcome to the forums!
To answer your questions in order:
First, will you be hauling the trailer around, or will it be parked semi-permanently?I plan to keep in right where it is ie. on a flat bed of pebbles ..the grey water being taken care of , elect and water and phonelines coming in...will move into it ft in August.

A Gauocho is a term for the fold out couch that is found in your trailer. Some trailers have two, instead of a dinette in the front it has another couch.I finally figured this out after reading a few posts...I have the ugly, uncomfortable sofa that makes into a bed and has what looks to me like a large hospital bed table attached to the wall.
Your endcaps are the dome pieces outside your trailer on the front and rear, where the upper clearance lights are mounted. Usually Argosies have to have these repainted several times over the course of their lives, as the galvanized steel doesn't allow the paint to stick that well, and the paint starts to peel off. I'm going to have to check this out. It is painted bluish grey...not sure if orig paint...but what I noticed wasn't pealing, just needed cleaning and some buffing.
What kind of floor covering does your trailer have now? Is it carpet, or vinyl?An ugly vinyl simply laid down...and fortunately not glued to the very sound plywood underneath in the BR and front areas...Berber lightly attached in the middle section...I pulled up all that I could and took a flashlight and looked under cabinets and funiture... the floor looks in good shape everywhere that I could see and poke my long skinny arms into.
Are there any soft spots in the floor? That is, any place where the floor feels spongy? If so, it could be an indication of a leak somewhere, either current or past.When I have the guy come out to install a new toilet..I'll have him give it a going over...and explain everything to me...
If you are going to be towing the trailer, another thing to do would be to get the wheel bearings repacked, and maybe the tires replaced, if they are more than 5-7 years old. If the tires are worn or weather-checked (have cracks in them) they need to be replaced.Prob. not until next year...I have to save up for a tow vehicle...but will certainly have it road ready by then....
If you find anythuing that you can't figure out, or doesn't work for you, post it, and someone will probably be able to talk you through it. Kevin (overlander64) and I both own Argosies, and I recently went through a '77 Argosy 24 mechanically, so either of us can probably answer specific questions.
Terry
I'm so grateful for all the good advice from both of you...
Kevin, I believe the propane tanks are aluminun...and the valves are working....the PO said something about the bolts are loosened backwards...ie..not lefty loosey and righty tighty but opposite and donated the correct wrench.

I'm totally new at this...I have hauled horses around ...but other than being able to back into an elusive clamshell and cleaning it out so I could sleep in it...it's a different experience.
Trailerbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 09:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Quote:
I'm so grateful for all the good advice from both of you...
Kevin, I believe the propane tanks are aluminun...and the valves are working....the PO said something about the bolts are loosened backwards...ie..not lefty loosey and righty tighty but opposite and donated the correct wrench.

I'm totally new at this...I have hauled horses around ...but other than being able to back into an elusive clamshell and cleaning it out so I could sleep in it...it's a different experience.
Kate,
It's not whether or not the valves work. There was a law passed about five years ago that mandated that all LP tanks be fitted with a certain kind of valve. If they haven't been filled in about five years they won't have the new valves, and you won't be able to find a dealer that will fill them (they're not allowed to) until you get them changed. About $30 a piece. If/when you have your appliances checked out, the service person will tell you if you have them or not.

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 09:36 PM   #6
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
John is right. If they aren't the new valves, the LP supplier can't fill them. It is a $10,000 fine to them if they don't comply with the new law. Look at the valve handles on your bottles. If they are round, they are the old ones. If they happen to be triangular in shape, then they are the new ones.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote