Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2014, 07:45 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Years ago I had a used Olds whose plastic steering wheel was starting to chip and fall apart and it STANK like that Seinfeld episode about the shower that "didn't take". I had no idea what it was but when I got in that car - especially on a hot day - it smelled like a football team had hong out in it overnight after the toughest game they ever played and hadn't showered. One day, some pieces fell off in my hand and (not sure why) I sniffed them....god rid of the car a few weeks later....I'm sure replacing the steering wheel would have helped and been a bit less drastic. Maybe it's an easy swap for you? Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:33 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1979 30' Argosy
Jeddo , Michigan
Thank you all for the continuing, helpful suggestion . I have replaced the roof vents and resealed them and dumped copious amounts of chlorine bleach down the vent pipes. In a few days the smell returned. I think my next step is to remove the belly pan and see what is going on in there. Should be a fun time!!!??? I will let you know what I find and will make samples available to those who request it. Might as well joke about it don't you think?
hardwoodjdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:44 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1979 30' Argosy
Jeddo , Michigan
Well, I think I found the source of the stinkys!!

First of all, thank you all for your help! I was almost ready to drop the pan and see what was going on but decided to check one other thing first. The odor seemed more concentrated when you first open the door which is right next to the refrigerator in my layout. Yup, you guessed it! We have a propane leak behind the refrigerator and the propane had been left on from the last camping trip. I am more than a little embarrassed but very thankful to have located a potentially dangerous problem. Hopefully this may help someone else before a match gets lit. Thanks again to all with suggestions. We had tried everything we could think of.
hardwoodjdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:06 PM   #24
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Yikes, good thing you don't smoke!

ps: get a propane detector, it might save yer life!
Old 10-28-2014, 09:03 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
So glad that your "enlightenment" came gradually and not in a brilliant flash. Propane gas and CO detector = good investment.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 04:59 PM   #26
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
If the odor still lingers try activated charcoal. When our converter converted to smoke, the phenolic smell was bad.

I put about a cup of the activated charcoal spread on paper plates around the cMper... Next day almost gone. Day 2 it was only an imaginary reminder.

Oh, you get the stuff from a pet store...filter area. Comes in various sizes.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:41 AM   #27
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
If not mentioned an ozone generator trumps all else. Fixing the source is one thing. Fixing the air another. Observe all warnings. Car dealers and flood resto companies swear by them.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 03:40 PM   #28
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
If not mentioned an ozone generator trumps all else. Fixing the source is one thing. Fixing the air another. Observe all warnings. Car dealers and flood resto companies swear by them.

Yeah, I use one in my business. Wouldn't be without it.

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 03:59 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
We have an ozone generator as well, really makes a difference. Our 86 was owned by a chain-smoker of CIGARS. It was also full of mold. No odors now, thank goodness, after a long and involved reno.
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:22 PM   #30
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I'll put away those green Dominicans when you come to visit

Seriously, for a house, car, or trailer an OG should be part of spring cleaning.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:19 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
Quote:
I'll put away those green Dominicans when you come to visit Seriously, for a house, car, or trailer an OG should be part of spring cleaning. Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
When I had to replace a large section of floor due to rot a friend of mine who is in the carpet cleaning and fire restoration business suggested I use a concrobium fogger to eliminate the mold and smell. I rented one at Home Depot and I fogged the interior, and then I fogged into the belly pan as well. Lo and behold it worked extremely well, and I recommend this procedure to deal with mold and mildew, and smell.

Regards,

Reganzo
Reganzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:45 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Saint Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatiero View Post
We have an ozone generator as well, really makes a difference. Our 86 was owned by a chain-smoker of CIGARS. It was also full of mold. No odors now, thank goodness, after a long and involved reno.

This is interesting. What size/model ozone generator do you have? There are so many options on Amazon... Thanks!
Old 11-12-2014, 01:52 PM   #33
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
I use this one
Rainbowair 1000 Series II: Naturally Eliminate Odors. Eliminating Troublesome Odors By The Ozone Experts
and this fogger
Burgess Electric Hot Thermal Professional Fogger 115 Volts Model 982 - As42 - Foggers - Equipment

I didnt get them from these Companies, just for reference (although the OG is less than I paid!)

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:58 PM   #34
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bex View Post

How did you happen to choose these? I see a large number of offerings over a large price range.

Thanks

Old 11-14-2014, 01:57 PM   #35
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
How did you happen to choose these? I see a large number of offerings over a large price range.

Thanks

They are appropriate for my business, not so big so as to be overkill with what I need them for and usable at home when the smells from our animals and kids just gets too much! The ozone machine is good enough that you can use it for a "shock" treatment. So put it on the highest setting, set the timer (an important consideration when buying one) for maybe 4 hours and walk away for at least 6 hours. When you come back in, its been off for two hours, so allowing the ozone to dissipate (although you still have the ozone smell) and no odours. Important to remember that you cannot be near them when running unless they are on the lowest settings (1-4 for this one perhaps) if you are, you will risk damage to your lungs. There are other, safer alternatives (thats why I have the fogger) but I was not aware of such when I bought my equipment
Titan 1000 Hydroxyl Generator | Jon-Don

Old 11-14-2014, 08:52 PM   #36
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Thanks. I know nothing about the non-ozone type only how well ozone works. And appreciate your general comments in answer to my question

Old 11-15-2014, 09:03 AM   #37
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Thanks. I know nothing about the non-ozone type only how well ozone works. And appreciate your general comments in answer to my question

Not sure about hydroxl generators now.
At least with ozone, you know its dangerous and can take precautions.
http://hydroxyltruths.com/UL%20Odoro...ver%20Page.pdf
Old 11-15-2014, 09:12 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Long ago I bought a peak 03 ozone machine. Cost about 250 dollars and came with four ceramic plates that help it do 'it's thing'. I have been told it is not good for your lungs but it works really really good.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:28 PM   #39
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR-Quarius View Post
Long ago I bought a peak 03 ozone machine. Cost about 250 dollars and came with four ceramic plates that help it do 'it's thing'. I have been told it is not good for your lungs but it works really really good.
If you ever find it not working as it should (not putting out the ozone you expect) you can pull those ceramic plates (unplug the machine from power of course) and scrub them with mild dish soap and water, rinse and dry and they should be good again. Thats what RainbowAir told me to do with mine and it worked. I wish I had known that before throwing out my old one.

Old 11-15-2014, 04:04 PM   #40
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I've used ozone generators for used cars and for homes. When buying an older house and after completing clean out we'd set the O generator to run for several days with the central air. Call for the exterminator after that. Same for a used car. Set it to run about 12 hrs after first interior cleaning. Then go back to it to clean more and treat. Not to use it often as it deteriorates plastic and fabrics.

But nothing else works so well.

Thanks for advice