Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-28-2005, 08:13 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Bathroom - need layout info

I am just learning about Airstreams now and trying to absorb as much info as I can. About a month ago I bought a 76 argosy 26. The bathroom is at the rear of the trailer but the tub is on the side of the bathroom and is very small, with a shower, it is not the big tub I have seen in some Argosys. So is this called a side bath or is it still considered a rear bath. And would that be considered on of the bathrooms you guys talk about that contribute to rear end sag? I can't see it being heavy cus the components in my bathroom look so light.

I also have to look at the manual on how to work all the holding tanks in the trailer. I am new to trailering and have no idea really how much works yet. It is parked at my cottage until I get it mint. I also want to get all the running gear check and balanced and in a couple years I will replace the axles even if they are still good. I dont plan on pulling it anywhere for a while yet anyways.

The interior of the trailer looks like new and I put an innerspring mattress in the middle bed and left the front couch alone, so now I find it very comfortable. The little fan in the middle kitchen vent doesnt go on but I will be looking into that soon. I also have to find a new hot water tank.

I am almost certain mine doenst have rear end sag b/c it was parked for many many years and I dont think it was ever towed much. How would i tell if it did? Generally the trailer is in amazing shape other than one dent in the rear end cap and a slightly rusted front end cap which I am getting fixed.

I really like it and some day would like to buy a new airstream. I would never consider anything but an airstream product. Square jobbies just dont interest me in the slightest.

Daver!
dpligocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 08:23 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

You are at that great stage I was in last summer at about this time....learning how everything works. I had a lot of fun in that stage. Congrats on the Airstream. One thing I found out was that my Airstream does not have a greywater tank. You have to drain the greywater on the ground or in a separate tank if the campground won't let you drain on the ground. You have to open the little garden hose size outlet on the back of the trailer or it all backs up in the system....I found this out the hard way.
kl8ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 08:39 AM   #3
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Hi - here is a link to the 76 brochure that includes layout info. Member overlander64 is one one of our resident experts. Your argosy should have bith gray and black tanks with 2 seperate valves. Some argosy showers drain directly into the main dump pipe and not any tank - they fill the pipe quickly - and then back up into the shower, be careful.
You are fortunate to find an argosy in such good shape - many of us have replaced every system... Congratulations on your new project.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 09:33 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

thank you for the link, it is nice to see pics from back in the day!

and yes it seems like there is a lot to learn about my trailer. This weekend end I go to the cottage I am going to read the manual completely through and start using things like the water and such in the trailer to make sure everything is up to snuff.

According to the pics I guess mine would be considered rear bath.
Does anyone know if the early model year argosys like 72 had a different bathtub? Cus I thought when they first came out they were quite large like a bathtub you would see in a home or are they all like mine (smaller and plastic and on the side of the bathroom?)
dpligocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 09:35 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Conway , Arkansas
This is what I did to my 76 Argosy 26 foot and really enjoyed it. It looks great, runs great, is great.

INTERIOR-
1) Removed the entire interior except the tub and refrigerator. (all you need is a screw driver and a drill)
2) Thoroughly cleaned the interior walls and floors
3) Examined the existing floor and patched one 3"x 1'surface area
by adding wood epoxy to create smooth area for floor tiles.
4) New carpet and padding in rear.
5) New floor tile in front.
6) Replaced all luan as the existing laminating glue was deteriorating.
7) New wallpaper on all originally wallpapered luan surfaces.
9) Added large pantry in center closet.
10) Resurfaced the bathroom sink and tub.
11) Waxed the walls(Future floor wax).
12) Cleaned the interior of heater and replaced heat ducts.
13) New kitchen counter top.
14) New kitchen faucets.
15) New curtains.
16) New smoke/gas detector.
17) New overhead lights as needed.
18) New stove top and oven.
19) New stereo.
20) New latches as needed.
21) New battery (2003).
22) Mounted microwave in pantry.
23) Added a safe and bolted it to floor.

EXTERIOR-

1) New gears in antenna.
2) New seals in all windows, access doors, and vents
3) New fresh water filler cap.
4) Painted entire exterior.
5) New running lights.
6) New lenses on break lights.
7) New heavier duty axels with torsion suspension (a must on a trailor of this age).
8) New wheel hub, bearings and larger safer brakes.
9) New Shocks.
10) New tires (2003).
11) New window and door screens.
12) New propane hoses.
13) Updated Propane tanks.
14) New levels.
15) Awning Cleaned
Anything I could not get at the local RV dealer, I got from Andy at http://www.inlandrv.com/

I got this from someone who needs credit, I just don't know who, sorry. (I made slight changes to include Argosy.)

The Restored term is often misused. Most Airstreams you find are in a state of "undergoing restoration". Truly Restored means:
Interior-
The interior layout is original, or is typical of the period and Airstream design (no computer desk instead of sofas, no wet bars, moon roofs or kitty doors).
Interior components are aesthetically original (may have improved function or internals).
Interior components and appliances have been cleaned, repaired and restored to a serviceable condition with no damage or degradation, using appropriate materials and methods.
Unique features, appliances & fixtures to that model and year should still be present, (LPG Lamps, Service Control Centers, Byam Burners and Panel Ray heaters are examples).
Replacements or additions to appliances and fixtures should have been done with correct period units, or with modern units installed in such a way they blend into the layout.
Cabinetry, shrouds and linings should be original or replaced using period materials and methods.
Cabinetry finish should be applied as per the original (painted, varnished or oiled wood). Interior wall linings should be as per original - green/tan paint ('40's), Zolatone Paint ('52+) or Vinyl lining ('70's).
Upholstery and soft-goods should be clean good condition and in period cloth or neutral/earth tones.
Any subfloor rot has been removed and repaired or replaced. Floor Covering should be clean and solid and from appropriate materials. Carpeting, Linoleum, or vinyl tiles are the norm.
The plumbing system should be complete with no leaks. The water system should supply water from an onboard tank through either a hand pump, demand pump or compressor as appropriate. The street water system should supply water to all the appropriate fixtures.
Wiring should be in a safe condition. Any modifications should be to code. Electrical fixtures should be original or period reproductions.
Potable water tanks should have been cleaned & disinfected. Any new tanks should be installed in an unobtrusive manner.
Toilet should be original or equivalent replacement (porcelain for porcelain, etc.)
Any new black or gray water tanks should be installed in an unobtrusive manner.

Exterior-
Any major dents, scrapes and punctures have been removed or repaired, minor shallow dents are OK (small hail dents or bumps).
The exterior skin has been polished (Argosy's are painted) within the last few years. It does not have to be clear-coated. The panel edge seams and openings have bean neatly sealed with Parbond, Vulkem or similar sealant.
Belly Skin is complete and secure.
The original window weather-stripping is tight, or has been correctly replaced.
Window openers all work. All screens are present & in good condition.
Door works smoothly, hinge is in good condition, handles, locks & latches are in good working order, and are original or appropriate replacements.
Roof vent mechanisms are working originals or appropriate looking replacements.
Running gear (brakes, tires, bearings, shocks, springs) are in good working order and condition. Should have records showing servicing dates within the last 4 years. Wheels (rims) are appropriate with hubcaps (baby moon) or pie-plate hubcaps or spoked aluminum for the later models. It is OK to have the original split rim wheels replaced. It is OK to have original hydraulic brakes converted to electric brakes. It is preferable to keep the original hydraulic hardware in place.
LPG tanks have OPD's and are polished aluminum or silver painted steel.
All exterior vent fittings are original or appropriate replacements.
Exterior lamps are working originals or newer historical reproductions. Trailer wiring works, and the wire harness is in good condition.
All exterior placards & nameplates should be present and have been repainted if necessary.
Tongue and bumper shouldn't have any exposed rust and should be painted silver(white or brown for Argosy's).
Any attached awnings are ZipDee or A&E, and are in good working order. Extra points for original or reproduction free-standing pole/staked awnings.
Step should be original, painted silver, and in good working condition. (Matches paint of Argosy)
76argosy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 09:41 AM   #6
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ArgosyDave
Does anyone know if the early model year argosys like 72 had a different bathtub? Cus I thought when they first came out they were quite large like a bathtub you would see in a home or are they all like mine (smaller and plastic and on the side of the bathroom?)
Overlander64 has brochures for all the years argosy was made in his picture gallery - have a look - you may find the answer to your question.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 09:52 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
Your argosy should have bith gray and black tanks with 2 seperate valves.
Blackwater and Gray water.... In the words of Napolean Dynomite: "LUCKYYYYY"
kl8ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 07:55 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Bathroom?

Greetings Dave!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ArgosyDave
thank you for the link, it is nice to see pics from back in the day!

and yes it seems like there is a lot to learn about my trailer. This weekend end I go to the cottage I am going to read the manual completely through and start using things like the water and such in the trailer to make sure everything is up to snuff.

According to the pics I guess mine would be considered rear bath.
None of the bathtubs utilized by Airstream were home-sized, the actual size was at most 75% of the home-size units -- the one in my Overlander is closer to 50% size (but deeper than most home bathtubs). Most of the Argosys that I have encountered below the 28' have what would be considered rear baths -- even the Minuets -- most of the Minuets had shower stalls rather than the 3/4-bathtubs. In all practicality, the bathtubs included in Airstream/Argosy coaches were best sized for children (the one in my Overlander made a great swimming pool for my Chihuahuas during the International Rally in Sioux Falls, SD). The bathtubs were also generally either placed square to a corner (Argosy and smaller Airstreams) while the larger, more deluxe Airstreams (31' plus) sometimes had a larger (less-than-full-size) tub that was angled in the rear corner of the coach. The larger Argosy 30 from 1979 has the slightly larger angled corner tub that was also utilized in the senior Airstreams of the period see:

The rear bath as utilized in the Argosy is quite similar to those installed in similar model Airstreams -- there were material variations as well as feature variations. While both separation and sag can be found in Argosy coaches it isn't as frequently reported as with Airstreams -- that may, however, be a function of the comparatively small number of Argosys in comparison to the larger number of Airstreams. As with the Airstream, the primary caveat is to always travel with as little in the blackwater and wash water tanks as is possible to limit the leverage forces on the rear frame members. Another shared caveat is to avoid mounting any additional weight on the rear bumper such as spare tire carriers or bicycle carriers. The safest method of approach is to verify that your coach is free of separation and sag; and then begin an active campaign to guard against its development -- among the suggestions to prevent these problems are:

1. Be constantly vigilant for moisture leaks and repair any found at the earliest possible opportunity.

2. Avoid traveling with fluids in blackwater or wash water tanks if at all possible.

3. Maintain running gear and keep in balance as much as is possible.

4. Avoid adding anything to coach that will concentrate weight aft of the axles.

My inclination is to believe that separation is more likely than sag on an Argosy 26. Separation can be identified by monitoring the size of gap between the body on the bumper -- if the gap increases when weight is added to the bumper (a person standing on the bumber) then there is likely separation involved -- separation is often accompanied by rot in the very rear of the floor (along the rear wall). Sag or droop can usually be identified by ripples found near or around the wheel wells and can be accompanied by visible cracks in the frame between/near the axles -- Airstream makes a kit for remedying this condition.

Good luck with your Argosy 26!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote