Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-05-2006, 10:03 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Ferndale , Washington
Axle issues

Okay, I have determined that the axle on my recently aquired '78 Argosy 6 Metre Minuet has lived life to the fullest and is in need of replacement. I have scanned all of the other posts on the Airstream site and this one and basically come away confused about the best path to choose for relacement.

Apparantly the guy who has the exclusive rights to sell OEM Henschen axles recommends that as the best way to go. Sounds reasonable. There is much discussion among many others that modifying a Dexter axle is the best way to go and consideribly cheaper too.

I have inquired with the local RV repair facility and was no necessarily convinced that they were experts in this field. What I have read in the other posts indicating that the Dexter way is cheaper did not seem to hold true with the local shop. They were indicating a cost in excess of $800 which is the cost of the OEM Henschen axle from Inland RV. I am not sure what shipping would add to this.

We are planning a big road trip next month and I basically want it done right. I believe I can do it myself if I go with a replacement Henschen axle as it appears to be an un-bolt the old and bolt up the new. I would probably go with the complete axle (hubs, brakes, etc.).

My question is this: Of those out there with the same model Argosy as mine, what choices have you made concerning axle replacement and after having made that choice, what has your experience been? i.e. happy as a clam at high tide with your choice? You rued the day you made the decision you did?

What axle rating did you run with? Original specifications? Uprated? I was hoping to find that there is a consensus I could go with as across the board on the Airstream forums for axles there seems to be nothing but controversy and a wide divergence of opinion.

Thank you in advance for the continued assistance.

Gergstuff
gergstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:14 AM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I think there's a lot of different opinions because people do it a lot of different ways, and there's a lot of different specifics for different trailers. If you can do the work yourself, and Henschen can send you an axel ready to bolt up, go for it. I couldn't do that, and so I had to have it done locally, and that RV shop was comfortable putting on a Dexter. In the end it all cost about the same either way.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:15 AM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Well we obviously have had lots of opinions and unfortunately I'm not sure whether you will ever reach a consensus here. At this point though, I don't believe we have gotten posts from anyone who has regrets with their choice of axle manuafacturer.

So rather than take this new thread down the same old tired road , what about folks who have done the job, post the bad or difficult side of the job. If you bought a Dexter for example, what would you do differently either on the installation or order itself? Same issue with the other brands of axles.

Maybe from this discussion you might learn the caveats and things that you can do on the front end, that will make your new axle purchase a wiser decision and with information that you can use that might be specific to a particular manufacturer. Let's use the school of hard knocks to make this thread informative.

OK???

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 11:09 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Ferndale , Washington
Sorry, I did not mean to create any problems.

I think your plan is a good one, I was hoping to get opinions and experiences from other owners of the same trailer that I have ('78 Argosy 6 Metre Minuet) who have made the axle change so I could hopefully feel comfortable in making the correct decision on what to purchase.

Installation experiences good and bad would certainly be helpful too.

Thanks,

Gergstuff
Old 06-05-2006, 11:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gergstuff
My question is this: Of those out there with the same model Argosy as mine, what choices have you made concerning axle replacement and after having made that choice, what has your experience been?
I doubt you will find a large population of people to draw on that:

a) have the same model Argosy as yours
b) have replaced their axles
c) are on this forum
d) have done it themselves
e) are going to reply in a timely matter so you can get yours ordered and replaced for a trip next month

That's a pretty narrow audience. I think there are multiple "right choices", you just need to pick one and go with it based on your opinions, research, convenience & billfold. My guess is very few (if any, vendors included) have done it both ways on the same trailer to have a true "which is better", first hand opinion...seems to me it's the same as the ol' Chevy vs Ford vs GM discussions. People are aligned to one over another for various reasons and rarely can you convince someone to change their mind...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 11:20 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Okay, I have determined that the axle on my recently aquired '78 Argosy 6 Metre Minuet has lived life to the fullest and is in need of replacement. I have scanned all of the other posts on the Airstream site and this one and basically come away confused about the best path to choose for relacement.

Apparantly the guy who has the exclusive rights to sell OEM Henschen axles recommends that as the best way to go. Sounds reasonable. There is much discussion among many others that modifying a Dexter axle is the best way to go and consideribly cheaper too.

I have inquired with the local RV repair facility and was no necessarily convinced that they were experts in this field. What I have read in the other posts indicating that the Dexter way is cheaper did not seem to hold true with the local shop. They were indicating a cost in excess of $800 which is the cost of the OEM Henschen axle from Inland RV. I am not sure what shipping would add to this.

We are planning a big road trip next month and I basically want it done right. I believe I can do it myself if I go with a replacement Henschen axle as it appears to be an un-bolt the old and bolt up the new. I would probably go with the complete axle (hubs, brakes, etc.).

My question is this: Of those out there with the same model Argosy as mine, what choices have you made concerning axle replacement and after having made that choice, what has your experience been? i.e. happy as a clam at high tide with your choice? You rued the day you made the decision you did?

What axle rating did you run with? Original specifications? Uprated? I was hoping to find that there is a consensus I could go with as across the board on the Airstream forums for axles there seems to be nothing but controversy and a wide divergence of opinion.

Thank you in advance for the continued assistance.

Gergstuff

Hi Gergstuff.

I can recall part of some folks' concern about Henschen axles is in the shipping of them, and how they're handled by the freight companies - read: badly. Since you're already on the west coast, and if you don't mind the drive all the way to the L.A. area, you could tow the trailer to Inland and have the work done there, where the inspection of the shipped axles would already have taken place. But if the cost difference works out to be a wash, then you might be better served by going through a Dexter dealer there in WA. I understand Dexter will build what you want if you can provide specific measurements. Figuring labor and all, that seems about right to have them installed, versus DIY.

Hope I didn't just take this down the same old road, Jack! My apologies if I did!

Good luck!

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 12:55 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Ferndale , Washington
I have followed a few leads from some input I have received. Nothing has panned out. The few local places I called felt the job could be done with a Dexter axle but were reluctant to quote a price to complete the job, I could almost hear the $$$ signs spinning in their eyes with the modifications that would be necessary @ $80 an hour. I really did not get a warm and fuzzy feeling from them that this is something they have done before.

Is it wrong to expect someone to have experience and instill confidence in a consumer?

I shall perservere.

Gergstuff
Old 06-05-2006, 01:16 PM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
If you want to drive down to Vancouver, WA, RV Pro (360-993-4295) is the shop I used. They're a small family run business, and have done my trailer, and did a Safari shortly after mine, and last I heard those folks were happy with their new axel too. They already had experience putting new axels under other brands of trailers, so that's how I ended up going with them.

As for folks with minuetes who have done their axels, I think there's a couple on here. Janet's one of them.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 03:28 PM   #9
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
OK - We have a 77 minuet 6 metre. We replaced the axle ourselves with a henschen ordered thu Inland rv. We increased the angle a little based on Inland rvs recommendation. The axle has to be ordered from the factory - unless they just happen to have one in stock.... It takes several weeks and ours was shipped yellow fright. We picked up tha axle at the frieght yard - but I think you can make arrangements for door to door deleivery. The installation is straigh forward. You need you serial number when you order.

The new axle is great and the ride is smooth. No complaints. We did have one giant snafu when the axle arrived - it was the wrong one -shipped from the factory. We sent it back and a new one arrived - Inland rv picked up the additional shipping costs. This was our experience - it was basically a good one (except for the shiiping snafu). We have been pleased with the result.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 04:02 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Ferndale , Washington
I contacted Inland RV and got the low down on what they would do. It certainly sounds like the easiest way to go. I am in a bit of a time crunch now as my window of opportunity for travel is set in stone and it may or may not be enough time to get a axle from henschen.

I have read the issues that can occur while driving on a worn out axle, I gather than it would not be recommended to take a 5,000 mile road trip on a very tired axle?

Gergstuff
Old 06-05-2006, 05:57 PM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Sorry, I did not mean to create any problems.

I think your plan is a good one, I was hoping to get opinions and experiences from other owners of the same trailer that I have ('78 Argosy 6 Metre Minuet) who have made the axle change so I could hopefully feel comfortable in making the correct decision on what to purchase.

Installation experiences good and bad would certainly be helpful too.

Thanks,

Gergstuff
We bought an OEM Henschen replacement for our Argosy from our friendly online Vendor, and installed the axle with no problems at all.
Dexter makes high quality replacement axles for our coaches that are considerably less expensive, but at the cost of having to preform some modifications to the axle, otherwise known as "making it fit".
Old 06-05-2006, 06:01 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I wouldn't worry too much...

We have a 26ft Argosy... the axles point straight, but I'm sure that rubber rod is getting kind of hard. We've done two 1200 mile trips + numerous trips over the 3+ years we've had it. The trailer is still standing! A few interior rivets have broken, but I'm not convinced it's not just a age thing. Freeways here (I-5 south of Seattle) used to be SO bad... I'm not sure newer axles would've made them much better.

Just FYI, I've had good service at Evergreen RV in Lynnwood. They told me that they'd be able to do Dexters .... however I did not get a price quote. Personally, I'm thinking of doing the Dexter thing (myself)... but $$ is limited too.

Your trailer is so short, it will probably bounce more than it should, but it doesn't have enough rear overhang to do much frame damage.

I would repack your bearings and check those brakes and brake shoe springs.
Where are you going? A 5000 mile trip seems fun.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 06:24 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
Axle thoughts...

Hi! I just installed two new Dexters on our '65 Overlander. I can say with assurance that:
1. Dexter axles are about 1/2 the price of Henchens.
2. Dexter axles will take a little engineering to install. (My install is posted, complete with pictures. Do a search for "Dexter axle installation started")
3. If your not very handy, the Henchens would probably be the better choice. As I understand, they will just bolt in, a no-brainer.
4. The quality of either should be fine. I'm REALLY pleased with my new axles!!!!
5. Get a friend to help with the removal and replacement...It will make life much easier!
Streamin 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 08:46 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Ferndale , Washington
I am probably going to have to go the Henschen route mainly due to time constraints and a lack of trusted service businesses in my area. Since my axle is pointing up I think it has had it. Our trip is to Chicago and back, Route 2 out and which ever way the wind blows us on the way back. I have received some helpful input from this forum and I do appreciate it, thank you.

If I were not is such a hurry I would try the Dexter route and see if I could save some $$$.

I could probably figure it our by myself as I have a welder and some welding ability.

At this point I think I would rather not be penny wise and pound foolish.

I will update this when I get the parts and hopefully get the job done.

Gergstuff
Old 06-13-2006, 03:03 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
I just finished a 2400 mile trip with my 1978 6 Metre (love that spelling!) and had a smooth time of it even over California's Rte 99. The trailer is on its original axle. The arms point slightly up, but there is plenty of bounce and movement when one is inside the trailer before lowering the stabilizing jacks. Every picture I have seen of a Minuet 6 Metre has shown the tires at the same relative height as mine are. Soooo....
1) Did the Minuets have a different, lower axle alignment when new? Lots of other things were different about these little trailers, what about ball height, axle arm alignment, etc? (I can't find info on the Minuet that is comparable to that on the Airstreams.)
2) If the axles show plenty of "life" when you are stomping around inside, does having the arms point slightly up really indicate bad axles?
3) Where should the rim of the tire be when the trailer is mounted correctly? On the AS, it would seem that top of rim even with bottom of wheel well opening indicates axles that are done for. If my Minuet looked like that, the axles would be collapsed for sure, but a good 1/2 or more of the tire is presently below the wheel well.
I seek enlightenment.
Argonaut20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 04:45 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Ferndale , Washington
Okay, final chapter of the axle situation. I wound up ordering a henschen axle through Inland RV. I found Andy to be very helpful. I wound up going with the complete axle only because I priced the individual components through other sources and it seemed to be a more expensive proposition. Going with adapting a Dexter axle did not make much economic sense as all of the quotes I was able to obtain locally were more than replacing with original equipment. I had a very short time frame to work with as we are off on a big road trip at the end of this week, so I wound up paying extra to have the axle expidited. The axle was delivered by Yellow Freight and the charges were less than $100, so that was a pleasant surprise after being quoted an estimate for shipping of $200 or so. The axle was shipped just as it was with no packing material around it. I had heard stories of damage being inflicted on the axle because of this. The only damage was a couple of dented dust caps for the bearings which is no biggie. I had soaked the old nuts and bolts on the trailer a few days in advance of receiving the axle with my favorite penentrant (Gibbs Brand, good stuff if you can find it). I jacked up the trailer and un-bolted the old axle and dropped it on the driveway. I took and extra day to grind off some rust and repaint the frame in the axle area to make it look prettier. Bolting up the new axle was fairly easy. Another set of hands would have been helpful but strangely all my neighbors weren't around at the key time. I managed to jack it into position with a floor jack and secure the two front bolts. They with the floor jack and a scissors jack borrowed from the wifes car I jacked up the back of the axle and bolted it into place. I hooked up the brakes, and verified that the factory had packed the wheel bearings (they did) and had to crank the trailer up more to get clearance to get the wheels back on. The job would have gone a bit quicker if I did not have to stop every hour or so and chat with various passerbys about what I was doing.

There is a significant difference in height, I would say about 4" higher than the old worn out axle, so it should roll down the road pretty smooth. I put new shocks in too. All in all it was a bit more expensive than I thought, but now that it is done, it should be good to go for the forseeable future.

Now, if I can get my tow vehicle back from the transmission shop in time, we can hit the road as scheduled.

Gergstuff
Old 06-26-2006, 05:25 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
any photographs of all this activity

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 05:35 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Ferndale , Washington
Sorry Mark, I did not think to take photos of the process. In retrospect I guess I should have.

Gergstuff
Old 08-03-2006, 05:36 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Ferndale , Washington
I just realized that I did not post a follow up to my 5,000 road trip with the new axle. Well, everything went fine, the trailer tows very well with it's new axle and we encountered some really bad roads, especially the northest corner of Yellowstone Park where I jarred some pipes loose not to mention a filling or two. I spent more on the replacement than I should have because I was pressed for time, not having the option to delay our travels but it all wound up being worth it. It was the maiden voyage for both the trailer and tow vehicle and I am happy to report no major issues with either one. I am hoping that the axle will retain it's resiliance for many years to come.