Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Germantown , New York
Argosy 24" GVWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
Tocht

You are correct. That is what it means. However if your Vin plate lists the GVWR of 3,800 lbs, I would say that it is an error.

Dan
You are totally right Dan, this was an error, not an Airstream error but my own. The VIN plate is hardly readable but after a lot of opinions heard we believe it says 5,600 lbs as GVWR and 2,800 for each axle. That make sense?

Our tow horse is a 1994 Buick Roadmaster and we upgraded our hitch to a 2"x2" U-Haul hitch rated 1,000/10,000 lbs with weight distribution (thank you Indy at BadAss). With weight distribution made in China and a sway control made in Taiwan, both sold by Campers Barn in Kingston, NY (now Campers World, thanks Don and Jerry, hang on), the trailer behaves beautifully and the tow is uncomplicated.

We are currently traveling through New England, having great fun - now at the most Eastern campsite in the USA - Lubec, Me.
Jwcberk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:40 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I am glad that you got your specs figured out and upgraded your hitch.

Nice that you are out having fun camping, and that you are camping in the most eastern spot in the US.

Please post a photo, so we all can see where you are at and see your Argosy and Buick Roadmaster. My grandpa always had a Buick for a TV when he would tow his trailer to Florida in the winter, from Michigan, in the early 50's.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:14 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Germantown , New York
Argosy 24 & Buick Roadmaster

Attached a not so great picture of our train. Better pictures to follow after downloading the camera. We just finished an almost 2,000 mile three weeks trip through New England. Argosy behaved beautifully except for a broken water pump and a few 40 year old rivets getting loose. The original bathroom mirror all but crashed. Saved it in time. Need to find out how to do the riveting myself.

The '94 Roadmaster had no issues towing the Argosy, power is more than adequate. I would consider a stiffer springs set up in the back and stiffer shocks in front in time.

The lines of the Argosy and the Roadmaster match well and make people believe that the Roadmaster is a lot older than it actually is. The combi drew lots of thumbs up and cheers along the way, most notably from a crowd at Hippie Hill in Danbury, NH.
Attached Images

Jwcberk is offline   Reply With Quote