Argosy shock absorber replacement
While replacing the bearings on our 1988 Argosy Squarestream, the 32 year old orginal shocks cried for replacement. The upper attach point only has about 1/2 inch clearance from the frame, suggesting the shocks were pre-installed on the axle before it was attached to the frame. Older posts suggested either dropping the axle or bending the bracket, but I managed something much easier which I thought I'd post. I tried to upload some pics, but I'm new at this and wasn't successful. So I'll just briefly describe what worked. Once you worry off the two 3/4 inch nuts securing the old shock, you are able to wrangle the shock out of the tight upper space, slightly breaking out the old bushing. After several days trying to find new shocks, I went with NAPA part 94008. It's compression length is 12" but that was no problem. No one was able to use the old numbers for cross reference. The trick for installation was to remove the upper bushing (I used a grinder with a cutoff blade, then drove the bushing out with a spark plug socket), cut it in half (again using the grinder blade... a hack saw would have worked), then put it on sequentially: washer, inner half of bushing, shock (at an angle, it fits in easily), outer half of bushing, washer, nut, bingo. Hope that helps someone.