Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2007, 09:49 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Thorn Hill , Tennessee
Argosy pricing...

Hello all, i have been reading here for some time, while looking for an Argosy in the 20-22' range. I just found a 20 footer in very good condition 1975(i think). Can anyone give me the price range for this trailer assuming it is in an overall good condition? From research i have seen them go from 1,200 to 9,000, but i would like a realistic average price. Thanks ahead of time....!
RD
MotorSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:58 AM   #2
Certifiable

. , .
Try Vintage Airstream Home and get ready for an education. Excellent site. Good luck.
mistral blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:03 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Thorn Hill , Tennessee
Thanks, and one more thing, what should the measurment be from the axle to fender lip to be within spec's? The axle is the only thing that worries me....
RD
Old 02-02-2007, 11:13 AM   #4
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Greetings RD-

This is the best place to start when trying to figure a value for a used RV.

www.nadaguides.com

The average is around $4,800 for an Argosy this age and size. Of course it all depends on condition.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:17 AM   #5
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorSeven
Thanks, and one more thing, what should the measurment be from the axle to fender lip to be within spec's? The axle is the only thing that worries me....
RD
My personal experience with a single axle trailer of this age is that you should count on replacing the axle and factor it into your cost.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorSeven
From research i have seen them go from 1,200 to 9,000, but i would like a realistic average price.
Yes, I have seen them as high as that -- but only if completely restored, new axles & new automotive paint job.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 03:44 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Thorn Hill , Tennessee
R&S,$4,800, hmmmmm, they are asking 5K, so it gives me a place to start the negotiations.

Janet, yep, that is kinda what im am thinking. There are no pic's available and the trailer is 2 hrs away, so my wife and i will drive over in the morning and take a look.

Canoe, yeah, 9K it would have to be perfect. I kick myself for missing the 20 footer for $1,200....described as "in very good condition" . That one was 2 a days drive away.

It's strange though, i've been looking for 2-3 months, and then one pops up close by............fate? Oh, and it's a '73, not a '75, my mistake. I searched the axle forums and have a pretty good idea of what a bad torsion axle will look like. Thanks for the quick responses....i'll keep y'all posted.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
One more approach...

Since NADA and other "guides" are national, and markets are "thin", and market is changing all the time as more and more Airstreams and Argosies are being bought by restorers and fixer-uppers, there is another approach to valuation... Also, the only sales reported to NADA are "dealer" sales or price points, not private party pricing..

Start with best estimate you can come up with for one in great condition that meets your requirements. Then just add or subtract for things you'll have to do or have done to get there, like axles or interior or plumbing... Seller may not agree, and may seem obvious, but it will at least give you a reference point for deciding what a unit is worth to you personally, and then help you set limits up or down during negotiations, as well as a walkaway point.. Even if seller disagrees with what is "needed", other potential buyers might lose interest also and seller may come around.

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:39 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
To me - this is where records play a big part - If there is no record of a replacement or repair then you don't add it to the value when purchasing but consider if you can do your own work, Brakes, bearings, even axles are not that expensive or hard to fix. Body panels however are expensive!!! appearance counts. Electical is a big deal - look under dash for clipped wires, small electrical things that don't work, - that sort of thing. Good luck. Personally I prefere fixing up a unit as then I know what I got
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote