Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2017, 06:21 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Argosy, need some advice, quick:) !

hey all, I've found a rear door 24' .. haven't inspected yet, so no clue what its like, been sat outside for 8yrs, so could be a disaster! Anyways .... a couple of questions;
How to gain access to inspect for rear floor rot & secondly, the rear door looks kinda cool, but twin beds are in the front and no gaucho but has a small side dinette table. What's the take on these models? desirable with rear door>? or who cares ?! thanks.
No pics yet, it sounds a little beaten up, with a dent in the rear panel but interior sounds good with no apparent leaks. Any thoughts on fixing a rear panel dent? It would mean pulling out the bathroom to try pushing out at first I guess? Seller said it's quite large, about 2' x 1' and pushed in a few inches .. It's being offered for cheap, asking price is 2000.00 , so if NO rot, a good price?, but wondering how difficult the dent could be to fix?
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:26 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I would not buy any trailer or MH until I understood what I was looking at. Jumping in on something because it "looks like a good deal" with no experience pretty much always results in regret.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
The dent may or may not be easily removed or cosmetically fixed. Need photos.

A quick test for rear end separation is stand on the bumper and bounce. If you see the bumper move and the trailer stay put you have rear end separation. Once you get inside take an ice pick and poke the floor around the edges, under windows inside compartments to find floor rot.

Unless the previous owner replaced the axles it is more than likely you will need new axles.

For $2000 you can expect to do a lot of repairs and rebuilding. Probably $10 to 15K.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
The dent may or may not be easily removed or cosmetically fixed. Need photos.

A quick test for rear end separation is stand on the bumper and bounce. If you see the bumper move and the trailer stay put you have rear end separation. Once you get inside take an ice pick and poke the floor around the edges, under windows inside compartments to find floor rot.

Unless the previous owner replaced the axles it is more than likely you will need new axles.

For $2000 you can expect to do a lot of repairs and rebuilding. Probably $10 to 15K.

Thanks, I'm not a total novice here, I own an older airstream, so very aware of what it actually costs to renovate ! And yes it runs into the thousands. I've looked at an Argosy once before but couldn't see how to access the wood floor at the very end. Think it's worth the 2hr drive, it could be a diamond in the rough or I'll walk, even for 1500[emoji6]
Old 10-24-2017, 06:58 AM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Until you actually see the item (MH, trailer, whatever) you really have no idea at all what condition it's in. If a 2 hour drive is not a big deal, go check it out. Even if you don't buy it, you'll learn a bit more about the Argosy poking around in another one.

A more basic question - even if it's free, is this something you want to take on? Visual inspection is the only way to work that out.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
I would go see it. Rear door is a plus, I love the front windows on the argosy's too.
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
You can use standard autobody techniques to fix the dent on a painted Argosy. I would try suction cup first, depending on condition of paint you may have to sand it smooth to get a good seal. From the sound of it it will probably need a paint job anyway and body filler is cheap
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Argosy was the Airstream "proving grounds" for new ideas and new techniques. There is an avid following of these "vintage kins." This is a project trailer for sure, maybe even a full monty. Many Airstream enthusiasts have totally remodeled interior layouts to their liking, and you can too.

The painted exterior with the steel end caps can be costly to renew. That dent is in a steel panel. It might be easier to make better than stretchy aluminum.

It is worth your detailed inspection and appraisal.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:58 PM   #9
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Get a moisture meter and check the perimeter for moister. If it has been leaking it will still be damp. Pay special attention to the front and rear end cap floors and the areas around the inside of the main and outside compartment doors. There will always be frame rust/damage underneath old floor leaks.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:26 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
Get a moisture meter and check the perimeter for moister. If it has been leaking it will still be damp. Pay special attention to the front and rear end cap floors and the areas around the inside of the main and outside compartment doors. There will always be frame rust/damage underneath old floor leaks.
guskmg
this trailer will have sat in baking hot sun all summer, probably no rain since May ? how can that still hold any moisture? & secondly, I'd need to have access to the perimeter of the floor, not sure that's so easy ? thanks for the tip though, they're not expensive https://www.homedepot.com/p/Extech-I...FUywZAodRAECeQ