Old 02-20-2020, 03:31 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Kingman , Arizona
Argosy Model 20 1973

Hey all,

I am new to the vintage trailer ownership but I am looking for some guidance and insight. I am looking at a 1973 Argosy Model 20 trailer single axle. The body is in good shape, (minus a couple dings and a dented lower roll pan corner). The interior is in good shape, all original. I am going to have to travel to purchase this trailer, but I dont know if I am paying a fair price. The seller is asking for $8300.00 for the trailer. Does anybody have an opinion or insight of this being a fair price? Thankyou so much for the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2131.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	267.5 KB
ID:	361432   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	361433  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	361434  

MFCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:49 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Milton , Ontario
Hello MFCH, in my opinion the asking price is too high. Have you looked at other units? In some cases fully updated Argosy's sell for this price. I suggest you take your time stepping back to review others. Just my 2-cents.
Chris

newsgauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:14 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Kingman , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by newsgauger View Post
Hello MFCH, in my opinion the asking price is too high. Have you looked at other units? In some cases fully updated Argosy's sell for this price. I suggest you take your time stepping back to review others. Just my 2-cents.
Chris
Thankyou for your help. I have been trying to do research and I found the same. I like the trailer and didnít want my likes cloud my decision, so I wanted to reach out. Thankyou again and I will be on the lookout for more! Thanks again!
Old 02-21-2020, 12:03 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
vallejo , California
if the trailer is out here in the west, that's not to high for a smaller AS/Argosy.JMO. kurt
ke6gkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 01:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Is everything original, like the axles, brakes, appliances, A/C, and so forth? Replacing all of this will involve some big dollars and/or labor

Any water damage to the flooring, or rusting of the frame? [maybe not in the desert]

Lots of variables . . . the price seems OK off-hand, given that we are coming into the time of year when it is a seller's market for older used RV's. You know . . . supply-and-demand . . .

Good luck,

Peter

PS -- You might be able to find a local inspector, by going to the Portal page [grey tab at top left] and filling out a request on the right edge of that page:

https://www.airforums.com/

Welcome to the forum!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:04 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Kingman , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6gkv View Post
if the trailer is out here in the west, that's not to high for a smaller AS/Argosy.JMO. kurt
Yes the trailer has been in the west and is all original. Single family owned from what they told me. I am going to try and remodel it and have it as a project. That is why I was wanting opinions of Fair pricing.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:08 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Kingman , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Is everything original, like the axles, brakes, appliances, A/C, and so forth? Replacing all of this will involve some big dollars and/or labor

Any water damage to the flooring, or rusting of the frame? [maybe not in the desert]

Lots of variables . . . the price seems OK off-hand, given that we are coming into the time of year when it is a seller's market for older used RV's. You know . . . supply-and-demand . . .

Good luck,

Peter

PS -- You might be able to find a local inspector, by going to the Portal page [grey tab at top left] and filling out a request on the right edge of that page:

https://www.airforums.com/

Welcome to the forum!
The trailer was single family owned, what I was told and is all original. Nothing has been done to modernize or keep up with it. Basically parked and sat for years. I am looking at remodeling it and make it into a fun project with my son. I am just wanting to get a fair price for something like this. I was told no rust to the frame and it is hard to tell from pictures of water damage on floor but I am going to replace the subfloor if needed. Project Trailer for the time being. Just don't know about the price. Thanks for the help. any other advice is appreciated. Thanks again!
Old 02-21-2020, 09:19 AM   #8

1977 20' Argosy 20
McCall , Idaho
Argosy Minuet Floors

My 1977 Minuet floor is rigid foam sandwiched between two sheets of aluminum.
Water damage?
babaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:22 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Kingman , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by babaloo View Post
My 1977 Minuet floor is rigid foam sandwiched between two sheets of aluminum.
Water damage?
I have been told little to no water damage, but it is hard to tell from the pictures to be 100% sure
Old 02-21-2020, 09:24 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Kingman , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6gkv View Post
That is the hard part getting to know the market, and not being a lot of them out there. This is a western trailer.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:26 AM   #11
RSC

Northfield , Massachusetts
It is hard to say what they are worth. I have a small 1978 Minuet and love it. In my opinion, the small ones can be very difficult to find, can be expensive but are super easy to transport and maneuver. They are easy to work on and you will always find ways to modify them to meet your needs, interests and tastes. The fact that it has been a single owner can be a good thing as they can give you its complete history if they are honest. You should go and look at it to make your decision. If it has been sitting a long time and depending on the owner's care or lack there of, rodents can be a issue but not a deal breaker. The missing paint on the nose is not a big deal and is typical. Unlike the Airstream, the nose and tail piece is steel with a heavy base coating
If you are willing to do restoration, it is a really nice fun piece.
Good luck with it if you get it.
RSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 10:44 AM   #12
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
If the condition is as reported, the price is fair imo. That said, it's likely you will be doing some upgrades. Suburban furnaces from this era need to be replaced or rebuilt - there was a recall at some point and a carbon monoxide issue.

We redid a Minuet replacing furnace, toilet, plumbing lines, new axle, softgoods and much more. It was a great trailer and lightweight. Find one with good bones is a great start.

Some of these rigs have aluminum floors, others have plywood.

Also worth noting that the front windows are no longer available and will need to be protected from rocks asap. Does this trailer have a gray tank? They were added as standard late in 1973 I believe.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:09 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Kingman , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
If the condition is as reported, the price is fair imo. That said, it's likely you will be doing some upgrades. Suburban furnaces from this era need to be replaced or rebuilt - there was a recall at some point and a carbon monoxide issue.

We redid a Minuet replacing furnace, toilet, plumbing lines, new axle, softgoods and much more. It was a great trailer and lightweight. Find one with good bones is a great start.

Some of these rigs have aluminum floors, others have plywood.

Also worth noting that the front windows are no longer available and will need to be protected from rocks asap. Does this trailer have a gray tank? They were added as standard late in 1973 I believe.
I am not sure of the grey tank. But I do plan on remodeling this trailer with my young son to show him craftsmanship. I really appreciate the help. My mind is easing alittle to finalize a deal to possibly get it.
Old 02-21-2020, 11:18 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
I think you should go see it, if it has an aluminum floor, all the better. Argosy’s have many advantages,IMO. If you are planning on a remodel it’s a great unit to use. You will love how easy it is to tow. I don’t think you will see any better deals, for that size.
bibbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 08:19 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Knoxville , TN
The question is do you think it is reasonable. You have to ask yourself what are you wanting to do with it. If you don't want a big project and the condition is as stated its good but if you are looking for a project that you can "make your own" then it is too much. From a desirability point it is a 20 footer and in the Airstream world short sells but it is an Argosy so it isn't silver not that it can't be mostly . Also that is double the original selling price, just saying.

I would suggest you inspect the trailer to get a better since of its condition. From this form you can get years of useful advice on what to look for and experience. As for my two cents, your looking at a 47 year old camper and the axles are only good for about 20 years, so that is some easy math. Also all the door and window seals will be hard/brittle so water intrusion is much more likely. The Minuets were built from 77 - 79 so it has wood floors, unless it has been stored indoors expect rot around the door and along the front between water tank and front wall and rear around/under water heater, the battery box, and were the plumbing goes through the floor. One of the photos shows the fresh water fill door open and if there is any damage to that you will have water intrusion. If any of the sub floor looks different than the rest, then someone did a repair for some reason.

Janet mentioned the furnace, and she is correct, my 77 Argosy furnace worked fine until you turn the lights off and the fire box looked like a star chart. The other appliances will probably need to be refurbished or replaced as well. You can buy some of the needed parts and motor but plastic items are typically unattainable.

Water lines, they are copper and subject to splitting when water is left in them and it drops below freezing. if you see any water line repairs expect it will all need replacing. also look for any green discoloration on the pipes which indicate corrosion.

While I am typing one of the biggest expenses, curtains and upholstery. You will more than likely pay more for these two items than any other item in the camper other than a replacement refrigerator. You can expect to pay about $120 to $150 per panel for curtains alone.
Eric 26 Argo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 10:50 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thumbs up

Great advice Eric.

MFCH, you might want to read Eric's "The Love Shack" thread for detailed insights into a possible "worst case scenario."

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f22...ck-183431.html

Good luck,

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFCH View Post
. . .
I am new to the vintage trailer ownership but I am looking for some guidance and insight.
. . .
Old 02-22-2020, 06:08 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
White Haven , Pennsylvania
as an owner of a 76 Argosy 24 I can only offer that it is my belief that grey water tanks were not available until 1974. Personally, I would not be happy with no grey tank. Also, all original can be very expensive, Fridge $1000.00
Water heater 400, ac unit if equiped, 800. Axles 800-1000 and thats with you doing the work. They can be great. But they're not cheap to redo.
Good Luck.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1020447.jpg
Size:	325.3 KB
ID:	361629  
Gkiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 06:06 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Knoxville , TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Great advice Eric.

MFCH, you might want to read Eric's "The Love Shack" thread for detailed insights into a possible "worst case scenario."
HEY!!! I wouldn't say worst case, just not as envisioned.
Eric 26 Argo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 10:57 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York

OK . . . apologies . . . at least the grass still grew!

[From Post #1 in The Love Shack thread]
Old 02-23-2020, 04:24 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
Irvine , California
I may have the Argosy for you.

If you're interested, mine is located in Irvine, CA and I need to sell it as I'm unable / Unwilling to Store it, and have just sold my house.

Let me know if you're interested in buying it, as I'm willing and anxious to sell it to you for bargin.

It's a 23 foot 1977 Argosy Minuet.

Little e is offline   Reply With Quote