Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2011, 10:30 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Austin , Texas
Talking Argosy maiden voyage.

I drove 1.5 hours to destination on my first trip with the Argosy. Overall the trip was great. My combo was my 2006 V6 Touareg, 20' 1972 Argosy with new tires, a Eaz-800 WD hitch, Prodigy brake controller.

I probably overdid it in preparations but still had a couple of issues.

Both the AD and hitch shop drove a block or so with me to show me how to work the brake controller. Airstream dealer set Prodigy on boost and very high number. Hitch shop set on b1 boost and only a 1 in the number setting. I read some posts here and saw some argosy owners were setting in mid 3's, so I did that. Had to stop fast at one light on the highway and something kind of skidded around(not sure if car or trailer). I found it frustrating that I got two such different suggestions on how to set brake controller. Guess I'll try to find a big empty parking lot and look for that 'grab' but I haven't felt it yet - unless that was what happened at the stoplight. Also Airstream dealer didn't put on a breakaway kit after I told them to "make it safe". The hitch shop caught it...not impressed with dealer.

The dump valve was closed while parked. We had a city water connection and there seemed to be a steady fast drip out of the valve when water wasn't turned on inside(looked clear). Is that normal? I thought it was probably residual water from sinks but we had to limit use of water due to stinky slinky hose issues. The AS dealer said they did a water line check, and no leaks, do I need to follow back up with them on this?

The Gator stinky slinky I bought at Camping World would not snap onto my dump valve outlet. I had to improvise with rubber gloves and duct tape - not fun. Any owners had similar problem? Is there an adapter I need?
That is how I noticed the drip... is the hose would not stay attached all weekend. The dump valve cap broke so drove back with valve closed but not capped.

Lastly the place where we stayed was nice and good view but the dump inlets all looked full in the am - gross! - is that normal as well?

I was white knuckling it both ways after reading so many posts here on blow-outs. I have a single axle. I'm really hoping that doesn't happen. I checked the tire pressure about a 100 times.

Next trip in one month only 30 minutes away which is a bit of a relief.

Kathy
shortcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Tanks and Brakes

The waste system on your trailer is probably the original Thedford and they do take their own twist on fittings. There are adaptors out there that will work. It took a while but I finally managed to get a system that works.
I would fill the grey water tank with fresh water and let it set to see how long it will drip. You can also operate the slide valve a few times while there is water in the tank. It could be as simple as the seal has soap scum or something on it and it may flush out to where it won't leak. You may be aware of this already, but you should drain the black water first, then the grey when you are on the road.

The way I set up my brake controller is to drive down the road at 5 to 10 mph. There is a hand slide control on my controller that I can operate manually. There is also a gain control knob. I adjust the gain control to the point where I can just feel the brakes come on, on the trailer when I slide the hand control to its maximum position, I don't apply the TV brakes when doing this. The best way I have found to make sure there is not too much brake on the trailer is to pull it on a gravel road. If when I apply the brakes on the TV, the trailer tires skid; I back off on the gain slightly until the tires don't skid. Then double check it with the manual control to make sure there is still brake operation on the trailer. It sounds complicated but you will get the hang of it.
Of coarse all of this stuff on the brakes is assuming that they are properly adjusted on the trailer.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:15 PM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
IIRC, my Tekonsha is always set at b1. Sometimes I use the manual slider button if I want to come to a relatively fast stop.

For your slinky, all you need is a Thetford to Valterra adapter; a couple of bucks at most RV places (or even Wal-Mart, I think). Our Gator came with one...
Old 04-04-2011, 01:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
You might want to think about a tire pressure monitoring system. I use a PressurePro system for my Argosy Minuet. It seems to work well.

I also use a Prodigy. I use B1 for most towing, but for "around town" towing I turn off B1. The initial boosted application of braking helps haul the trailer down from highway speeds, but I find it to be a bit jerky in stop-and-go or around town.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:21 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Austin , Texas
Thanks!

Thanks everyone. I will get that adapter ASAP!
I don't think the '72 has a grey water tank, it just drains straight out (I think even if the valve is closed?)
Old 04-04-2011, 04:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
If it's like the old Airstreams, the gray water is a straight shot out, no valve. As you go down the road, water in the p traps in the wash stand and sink sloshes and you get some water in the drain which then runs out. A blue boy for gray water at sites where there aren't hook ups is a good idea.

You are wise to be careful and worried at first. This is new and many trailers are wrecked the first time out and close to home. As you play with the settings and drive more you will find you will get more comfortable with towing. Watching the mirrors, anticipating what is ahead, walking around checking tires at each stop, all become habit patterns for you.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut20
If it's like the old Airstreams, the gray water is a straight shot out, no valve. As you go down the road, water in the p traps in the wash stand and sink sloshes and you get some water in the drain which then runs out. A blue boy for gray water at sites where there aren't hook ups is a good idea.

You are wise to be careful and worried at first. This is new and many trailers are wrecked the first time out and close to home. As you play with the settings and drive more you will find you will get more comfortable with towing. Watching the mirrors, anticipating what is ahead, walking around checking tires at each stop, all become habit patterns for you.
Hmm . . . A "blue boy"? Newbie here. Help? Define?
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gheuer View Post
Hmm . . . A "blue boy"? Newbie here. Help? Define?
A portable tank for waste water. Readily available at RV supply shops.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcake View Post
Thanks everyone. I will get that adapter ASAP!
I don't think the '72 has a grey water tank, it just drains straight out (I think even if the valve is closed?)
Kathy,
That is correct. You do not have a grey tank. All water from everything EXCEPT the toilet flows out below the shut off valve. I also have an Argosy 20 1972 model-Love it!!!
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:31 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120

A portable tank for waste water. Readily available at RV supply shops.
Thanks, we'll look for one.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:51 PM   #11
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by gheuer View Post
Thanks, we'll look for one.
Curious why would you need one? Your trailer has huge tanks.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:35 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Curious why would you need one? Your trailer has huge tanks.
Aage - I'd like to have the option of moving some of the holdings out when we are in the local National Forests for an extended stay, without having to hook up and go to the dump. Is this silly?
Old 04-06-2011, 09:24 PM   #13
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I wouldn't call it silly... But personally, I would wait until you have experienced the need before buying a blueboy. Just one more large thing to carry around. And nobody will want their stuff to be close to it..

Look up "Navy shower" in the search engine, and think about ways to practise conservation of water when you camp; it might be an interesting game to play.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:57 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage
I wouldn't call it silly... But personally, I would wait until you have experienced the need before buying a blueboy. Just one more large thing to carry around. And nobody will want their stuff to be close to it..

Look up "Navy shower" in the search engine, and think about ways to practise conservation of water when you camp; it might be an interesting game to play.
Good advice. First camp this weekend, if the Natl. Forest doesn't close down on us Friday at midnight.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:47 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Austin , Texas
What is the other number on Tekonsha set to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
IIRC, my Tekonsha is always set at b1. Sometimes I use the manual slider button if I want to come to a relatively fast stop.

For your slinky, all you need is a Thetford to Valterra adapter; a couple of bucks at most RV places (or even Wal-Mart, I think). Our Gator came with one...
You said you had it set on b1, what is the secondary number set to?
Thanks!
Old 09-21-2011, 10:55 PM   #16

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcake View Post
You said you had it set on b1, what is the secondary number set to?
Thanks!
By "secondary number" do you mean the gain? (the one you set with the up/down arrow buttons on a P3, or the blue thumbwheel on a P2.)

Typically the gain should be set where the trailer tires are JUST at the edge of lockup if you move the manual lever all the way. I'm guessing it'll vary from trailer to trailer, and may change every time you have the brakes adjusted... for my Argosy it's about 10 volts.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:47 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Austin , Texas
Thank you. I had mine set at B1 also for this trip. The gain was pretty low but it seemed to be braking nicely. I still need to get the hang of setting it I think.

For this trip, I had the right adapter for the water outlet.

My electrical adapter completely fused to the park's outlet and got stuck in there. The owner didn't seem too concerned and said it happens. Yikes! The fridge is original and I ran it off electric, but it seemed to not work on and off. We reverted to the surefire way...an ice chest. I guess I'll run off of propane next time which seems to work 100% of time.

I got alot of conflicting opinions before the trip about tire air pressure. For my spring trip I had it set to max pressure on tire wall: 60. I was chastised for this on Friday while getting an oil change. Even the mechanics I talked to were arguing back and forth about it. Some said with the heat of Texas roads, don't go above 50. The other said when towing really setting towards max is okay. We compromised and I set at 55. I kept the tow vehicle at the suggestion printed on the driver's door. 36 for front and 44 for rear.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:14 AM   #18

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Tire pressure

Your tires say 60 psi is the max inflation on the sidewall? What kind are they? Generally Load Range C tires are 50 PSI, D => 65 PSI, E => 80 PSI.

Generally if you're anywhere near the rated load, it's important to keep them inflated to that PSI. That's the condition under which the tire company "rated" the tire, and lower inflation causes more sidewall flex, which fatigues the sidewall and builds up more heat going down the road. Combine that with the very high pavement temps we've experience in Texas this year and you're getting the tire pretty hot.

When you're running "overkill" load ranges (significantly above the actual weight the tire is carrying) it's a bit of a different story. The tire itself has a stiffer sidewall, and some manufacturers have "derating" charts where they show the pressure to inflate an E rated tire for carrying D loads, e.g.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:33 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Bought a blue boy when I first got my Minuet two years ago...yet to use it...but I guess best to have for that extended boondock
Squid is offline   Reply With Quote