Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-07-2005, 07:51 AM   #1
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Question Argosy Info??

Does anyone know if Argosy built a 17' Minuet?

There is a 1978 advertised in Florida w/good skin for $1,500.

I there a link to a good info site?

Thanks.
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 08:07 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Argosy Minuet Info??

Greetings driftwood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood

Thanks.
So far as I have been able to determine, the only three sizes of Minuets are 6.0 Metre (20' according to factory), 6.7 Metre (22' according to factory), and 7.3 Metre (24' according to factory. The dates of manufacture run from 1977 through 1979. It is not unusual for a coach to mis-identified in an advertisement, espeically if it had to be measured for DMV purposes. I suspect that 17', probably referrs to a 6.0 Metre (probably measured just the body (and a bit generously at that as I believe that the actual length of the 6.0 Metre Minuet is 19' 3" so the body is more like 16' 3"). The best means to determine the actual size is via the VIN (posted on a plate just behind the LP tanks typically on the streetside). The VIN should be formatted as follows:

20D8V1666

First Two Digits = length
First Letter = D (Double Bed Model) T (Twin Bed Model)
Third Digit = last digit model year
Second Letter = Plant Code V Versailles, OH
Last Four Digits = Sequential Production Number.

Some other identifying characteristics include: 6.0 Metre coaches have one operable window on curbside and two operable windows on the streetside; while both the 6.7 and 7.3 Metre coaches have three operable windows on streetside and two operable windows on curbside. The 6.0 and 6.7 Metre coaches are both single axle coaches while the 7.3 Metre is a tandem axle coach. The only literature that has all three Minuets is the 1979 Brochure:

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 09:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood

Thanks.
Kevin has the info on the Argosy. I think what you found is the 20' Minuet which has been mislabeled. The body is about 17' long add in the tounge and bumber and it comes out to 20'.
Sounds like a very good buy, snatch it up quick.
Good Luck.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
My "Minuet Collection" stands at a paltry 3 but I do have pictures of a 1978 20' (6 metre).

Argosy Minuet Models
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 10:35 AM   #5
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Airstream made 2 different Argosys that are aproximately the lenght as the one you describe. Do not confuse them

They made a 20 ft until 77 and then made a 6 metre minuet - about the same lenght - but the minuets are 8 inches narrower that the the regular argosys. If it says argosy 20 it will be a little wider. If it really is a 78 then it should be a minuet.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 12:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
I saw that ad too and I was really interested 'til I noticed it's in Florida, which is a bit of a trek for us. Can't tell much about it in the picture. If anyone down south gets a first hand look at it I'd love to hear what it's condition is or see more pics.

Doug and I have been on these boards a long time now. At first we thought we wanted a new Bambi, or maybe slightly used so we could redecorate to suit our own tastes after being impressed by what forum member dtbw did. Just lately we've been looking at some of the Minuets and we're getting the bug to go vintage. Are we nuts? [note to Janet and Janet's Husband -- your Minuet is awesome; shame on you for planting ideas in our heads ]

Anyway, we're on the East Coast, where Argosys seem to be scarce. Am I in for an even longer waiting time here? The anticipation is killing me. What's it cost to have something like this towed from far away?

As always, I find this forum a great source of information and encouragement!

-Jamie
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 12:51 PM   #7
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Jamie - going vintage is not nuts.

If you can be patient and wait, that is......

OlderAirstreams are much lighter wieght thatn the new ones and many of the 6 metre argosys have aluminum floors under that horrid orange carpet - way cool - no rot!
That said, I'm not sure just how much cheaper it is to rehab than buy new but you can pay as you go and control how and when you spend. Best of all you get colors you like and immense satisfaction. We routinely have people approach us at camp grounds, rest areas and gas stops and ask for tours.

Argosy prices are all over the board and if you can find one with the skin in good shape and windows intact for under 3000.00 I would jump on it.

Interiors can be redone and old mechanics repaird or replaced. It can be loads of fun. We have finished most of our planned repairs on our minuet and kinda miss the regular saturday rehab routine! Go figure...

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 02:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
Jamie - going vintage is not nuts.
Interiors can be redone and old mechanics repaird or replaced. It can be loads of fun. We have finished most of our planned repairs on our minuet and kinda miss the regular saturday rehab routine! Go figure...
The more I think about it, the more I look forward to the "saturday rehab routine." Originally I thought the old mechanics would be something beyond our skills, but when I see all the information and resources available for this I can't help but think it's do-able.

Doug has more patience than I do, but I'll keep hanging in there 'til we come up with something. In the meantime, if anyone hear's of a nice little Minuet waiting to be loved, please drop me a note. Operators are standing by...
Old 01-07-2005, 03:09 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Argosy Info??

Greetings Jamie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
The more I think about it, the more I look forward to the "saturday rehab routine." Originally I thought the old mechanics would be something beyond our skills, but when I see all the information and resources available for this I can't help but think it's do-able.

Doug has more patience than I do, but I'll keep hanging in there 'til we come up with something. In the meantime, if anyone hear's of a nice little Minuet waiting to be loved, please drop me a note. Operators are standing by...
Even if you are a klutz with tools as I am, Vintage isn't out of the norm. There are several companies out there who specialize in total or particular parts of the restoration process. There are also at least a few Airstream dealers who are Vintage Friendly and seem genuinely pleased to work on Vintage coaches. With both of my coaches, I started out with good, solid, mostly original coaches and then contracted out the restoration as I could afford it.

Something else with the Minuet is its unusual ease of towing. At just 7' wide, it was either 6" or 8" narrower than its standard series contemporaries which means that it is only nominally wider than most full-size tow vehicles. As has been mentioned elsewhere, most of the 6.0 Metres and a few of the 6.7 Metre Minuets have aluminum composite flooring eliminating the worry about floor rot (the composite does, however, pose other problems). It also seems that the Minuets are far more apt to have the dinette configuration, but the original purchaser had the option of front lounge with credenza table or dinette configuration - - luck was with me as my Minuet has the front lounge layout that is my preference.

With patience a Minuet will find you - - or is that vice-versa? I had considered traveling as far as New Mexico to look at a Minuet when that very evening one was advertised within 200 miles of my home.

Good luck with your search!

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 01-07-2005, 04:54 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Thumbs up We love our Argosy!

Welcome.. We have had a 76 Tradewind which we liked .. until we found a 75 26' Argosy.. we love this trailer .. we have had a lot of repairs to do BUT it is much easier to work on than the A/S........have put in new front floor, replaced 3/4 of the underbelly .. redid half of plumbing lines .. new toilet, repaired valves.. new flooring, new curtains, new recovering of gaucho.. some new hardware on cupboards.. This trailer will be repainted this spring.. With the wraparound windows it is great.. lots of work but it is still worth it.. By the way watch Ebay.. a fellow had 2 Argosys for sale and he is in Connecticut.. don't know if he sold them or not.. if we had a place to store them and work on them.. we would have bid on them.. ..
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 07:57 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Kevin - I was looking at your pictures and saw you had some pages from an Argosy brochure. You wouldn't happen to have those in pdf format would you?

It does seem like the Minuet would be a good match for us. The 6.0 or 6.7 is in the size range we were looking at and even lighter than the new A/S models. We're really trying to stay away from having to get a monster tow vehicle. And they sound very newbie-friendly (how do like that term?). Like you say, we can always call in trained professionals for the stuff we can't handle ourselves. I like the way your Minuet found you. I hope we have such luck.

Happycampers - I saw those Argosys in Connecticut you mentioned. They looked a little bit bigger than what we had in mind. It's too bad because Connecticut is right in our neck of the woods. Can't wait to see your pictures after the new paint job.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:16 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
EBay mysteries

Dougjamie..

If you see Argosies on EBay or other auction sites it's a good trick to copy down names and contact info for sellers..

A lot of the sales don't actually go through, and it's worth time to contact seller a week or so after sale "closes" on site, and ask if it went through, or if they're likely to put it back on market. Often a quick cash offer below sell price on auction will get the unit, or an overbid might result in screwing of actual auction winner... (Hey - I'm not advocating any unethical behavior, just observing how EBay transactions are known to work at times..)

Despite all the legalese on EBay web sites and threats about binding contracts, etc, in most cases the disappointed party in a failed transaction will have to hire lawyer and pursue flaking-out party across state lines in chancy legal action, and in 99% of those it's going to be a loser...

There are threads here on this site about buyers who lost to sellers who took higher bid after close, and sellers who were left in lurch when buyers flaked out... EBay won't intervene unless they lose their fees, and still remedy is to just get another e-mail address and start over.. Caveat emptor, and vendors beware as well...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 10:26 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Argosy Info??

Greetings jamie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
Kevin - I was looking at your pictures and saw you had some pages from an Argosy brochure. You wouldn't happen to have those in pdf format would you?
The only scans that I have from the showroom literature that I have are from the pages with the floorplans. Several months ago, we had an active discussion about both the various Minuet floorplans as well as the Argosy 22 and Argosy 24 with the rear door floorplan; so I scanned and posted the floorplans to go along with the discussions. Currently most of my computer peripherals as well as much of my Airstream/Argosy literature is still among the many packed boxes awaiting my attention since completing the move from Northwest Illinois to far Southern Illinois.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 01-08-2005, 07:46 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Oh Oh, Janet's bored!

As a fellow "vintage" Argosy owner, I say go for it! I have to give Janet's Minuet the big thumbs up too - it looks very nice, and better than the non-CCD ones in my opinion (but I do think she and Gary need to get that 25 ft CCD so that I can drool more at the next get together!)

Working on the trailers is half the fun, and it's pretty easy once you read up on it. By the way Janet, my trailer is not busy for the winter, so I COULD bring it around if you're looking for something to do.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 10:48 PM   #15

Smile minuet 6 meter in south fla.

Well, I'm sure glad that I stumbled onto that ad in the rv trader last friday. I didn't even know that there was a minuet with the wrap around windows. It took me about 30 seconds to decide that trailer was coming home with ME! The interior of this little minuet is almost mint except that the carpet has been replaced and is in need of replacement again. I paid $1400. It has attwood power jack, aluminum 20# tanks, came complete with the torsion bar hitch & sway bar, all adapters for any electric hookup, working fridge, ac,ss magic chef stove, front & rear leveling jacks,crank up wingard tv antenna, 4 more nos aluminum screw type leveling jacks, 2 sleeping bags, and the original zip dee awning in good shape.There were 4 matching orange cereal bowls,Nos hot dog/marshmellow forks in the old celephane pkg, an old wire flyswatter, and an "I love my camper" wall plaque on a slice of pine tree from the smokey mountains.I have been sitting in it grinning for 2 days. The interior is immaculate, no scratches anywhere, but the drape clips are mostly broken. There is wear on the floor area upholstering entering the kitchenette.The vent screen, and both dinete lamp lenscover and bathroom light cover is very yellowed from age. I've never been on a forum, so I've tried to give a good description in case I can't find my way back right away. The rims & tires need replacing as they are mis-matched.................................... IF anyone can guide me to owners manuals and service manuals, or copies, or any original information on this 6 meter, I would really appreciate it.....Jerry
ggteeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 12:05 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Talking Congratulations and Welcome to the Forum

Hello Jerry ,
You got a great deal... You will love your Argosy.. We have one and sold our Tradewind when we found the 26' Argosy.. There is a WBCCI rally in Sarasota starting the 23 of Feb.. Get place to go and meet other Airstream and Argosy owners.. We will be there.. hope to see you..
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 06:59 AM   #17
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggteeth
It took me about 30 seconds to decide that trailer was coming home with ME! .....Jerry
Awsome grab Jerry! Welcome to the forums. I've only been here a few months but have learned years of info from the very experienced restorers around here. The first thing that I did was buy an Argosy owners manual plus the bigger more generic Airstream service manual. The lone source as far as I know is Secretarial Services of Sidney Ohio. It's highway robbery what they charge for a reprint but I guess they charge what the market will bear
My plastic spiral binding is in poor condition and I'm going to have my wife the librarian get it hard bound.

If you have specific topics to discuss feel free to start a new thread in the appropriate subject area under "FORUMS" at the top of every page.

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 07:24 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Jerry - Congratulations! -- and thanks for the nice description. It's a big help in our own search to see what others have paid, and what they paid for. The "I Love My Camper" plaque alone would have sold me.

Hope you have loads of fun with your Minuet!

Jamie
Old 01-09-2005, 09:08 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Argosy Info??

Greetings Jerry!

Welcome to the world of Vintage Minuet ownership, and congratulations on the FIND!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggteeth
Well, I'm sure glad that I stumbled onto that ad in the rv trader last friday. I didn't even know that there was a minuet with the wrap around windows. It took me about 30 seconds to decide that trailer was coming home with ME! The interior of this little minuet is almost mint except that the carpet has been replaced and is in need of replacement again. I paid $1400. It has attwood power jack, aluminum 20# tanks, came complete with the torsion bar hitch & sway bar, all adapters for any electric hookup, working fridge, ac,ss magic chef stove, front & rear leveling jacks,crank up wingard tv antenna, 4 more nos aluminum screw type leveling jacks, 2 sleeping bags, and the original zip dee awning in good shape.There were 4 matching orange cereal bowls,Nos hot dog/marshmellow forks in the old celephane pkg, an old wire flyswatter, and an "I love my camper" wall plaque on a slice of pine tree from the smokey mountains.I have been sitting in it grinning for 2 days. The interior is immaculate, no scratches anywhere, but the drape clips are mostly broken. There is wear on the floor area upholstering entering the kitchenette.The vent screen, and both dinete lamp lenscover and bathroom light cover is very yellowed from age. I've never been on a forum, so I've tried to give a good description in case I can't find my way back right away. The rims & tires need replacing as they are mis-matched.................................... IF anyone can guide me to owners manuals and service manuals, or copies, or any original information on this 6 meter, I would really appreciate it.....Jerry
It sounds like your Minuet found you much as mine found me. I saw the classified advertisement on the VAC websit at 11:00 p.m. (it had just been posted about 3 minutes earier by the coach's original owner), and I was placing a deposit on the coach less than 48 hours later. The owners' manual for the '78 Minuet is quite complete, and they are offered as NOS wrapped on E-Bay auctions from time to time (I purchased a second copy for my literature display in this manner) - - the price is generally around $50. You can also obtain copies of the manuals via the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.airstream.net/FAQ/FAQ_3.html#Manuals
Manuals

Q: I need an owners and service manual for my Airstream. Where can I get one?
A: The first owners manuals were published in 1964. Prior to that, the owner received a brown envelope containing parts lists and other helpful information on the accessories in his trailer. The VAC has started making these available in the Members Archive section. A service manual with instructions for performing service operations did not exist until 1972.
You can get photocopies of owners manual (1964+) and service manuals (1972-1986) from:

Helen Davis Secretarial Services
PO Box 484 Sidney, OH 45365
(937)492-8885

Prices are about $33 and $70 respectively. After 1986 the Owners Manuals included available service information.
There appears to be very little in the way of specialized literature addressing just the '78 Minuets. The '78 sales brochure was the most difficult of all my Argosy literature to locate, and it only has two pages describing/picturing the Minuet. The following is the Minuet Photo-page from the '78 brochure:

The following is the Minute floorplan-page from the '78 brochure:

The 6.0 Metre Minuet is the only Minuet model listed in the '78 brochure that I have, and the '77 Minuet wasn't even mentioned in the '77 factory sales brochure that I have. The '79 sales brochure is the only sales literature that I have been able to find the shows all three of the Minuet models.

The deep-wrap windows were pioneered on the Argosy coaches, and the ones used on the Minuets are unique (at least the center section) to the Minuets. The wing windows are difficult to replace if broken (replacements are available from Airstream, but they are solar-gray tinted rather than clear) so it can be helpful to protect the front windows with a rock guard - - the three-piece unit currently sold by Airstream can be fitted by modifying the center section (as chronicled by Janet and Janet's Husband in: How to modify and install rock guard on minuet ).

If your Minuet is like the vast majority of the 6.0 Metres that I have encountered, you will find that it has an aluminum composite floor. Thus far, I have only encountered one 6.0 Metre that didn't have the composite floor material - - I recently encountered a 6.0 Metre with factory plywood floors. On a 6.0 Metre Minuet with composite floors, there are almost no wood products utilized in the construction as the cabinetry is all vinyl-clad aluminum, and much of the furniture is framed in metal as well.

The spoked, steel wheels that were standard on the Minuet are of a design that I haven't been able to locate in today's aftermarket segment. It seems that the wheel that was quite similar was discontinued in the catalogs about five or six years ago. Even more difficult to replace are the original Argosy center caps if they once depart the coach - - the plastic tends to fracture near the attaching hardware and the cap departs the coach after hitting a pothole on the highway (I lost one of mine in this manner in a bridge construction zone in Illinois last year). The wheels are shown as being painted colonial white in the brochure, but the original owner of my coach indicated that they came from the factory painted the burnt-orange/copper color to match the banana wrap on my coach.

You certainly did get a good bargain on your coach based on the description. Mine could have been similarly described when I purchased it, but it didn't have an awning, power jack, stabilizers, TV antenna, nor air conditioner (I paid about $400 less for my coach little more than two years ago). I am sure that you will enjoy your Minuet - - I find that mine is so convenient that I use it more frequently than my Overlander.

Good luck with your Minuet!

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 01-09-2005, 10:15 AM   #20
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Thumbs up Ggod Deal!

Jerry,
Looks like an excellent deal to me. The ONLY Argosy I have found for sale in my area was a somewhat abused 20' and the owner would not take less than $2500 for it. It eventually sold, but I was unwillilng to pay more than $1500 because of the $ amount of work and the scope of work needed to repair it to usable condition.
Sounds like you found a keeper.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote