Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-29-2014, 09:43 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
Alamogordo , New Mexico
2x4 under floor?

Hello fellow Argonauts. I own a 1972, 26' rear bath, full bed model. I've been getting her ready for a trip, and I'm pretty happy about the condition the trailer is in. First of all, the flooring in the back of the trailer looks like new plywood, but I know it's not because you can see the age in the screws, etc.

The trailer has spent its entire life in the Chihuahua desert of El Paso, TX, so it's rarely had any water hitting it. Of course it has had some encounters with water, and the customary rot near the curved window by the door is there. I've been lurking on these forums for years prior to purchasing a trailer and for a year after I purchased my Argosy. I also attended the Vintage Trailer Academy in Albuquerque last year, so I've done my research.

Here's the strange thing: I don't recall anyone mentioning a 2x4 running down the center of the trailer. Since I'm not doing an entire frame off, I've been using a circular saw set t the proper depth with the intent of removing sections where rot is present and replacing. To do this, I am cutting strategically so that I can A. fit the wood in in sections, and B. using the beams as supports in the best way possible.

Is it normal to have a 2x4 running down the center of an Argosy? Here is a link to a picture. if you look at the left side of the photo, you'll see where I have cut away part of the plywood, revealing a 2x4 underneath. The 2x4 is in excellent condition. I was just shocked to find it.

Removing Floor Under Fridge - Photo Gallery
BentMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
The 2 X 4 was an after market installation.

Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentMetal View Post
Hello fellow Argonauts. I own a 1972, 26' rear bath, full bed model. I've been getting her ready for a trip, and I'm pretty happy about the condition the trailer is in. First of all, the flooring in the back of the trailer looks like new plywood, but I know it's not because you can see the age in the screws, etc.

The trailer has spent its entire life in the Chihuahua desert of El Paso, TX, so it's rarely had any water hitting it. Of course it has had some encounters with water, and the customary rot near the curved window by the door is there. I've been lurking on these forums for years prior to purchasing a trailer and for a year after I purchased my Argosy. I also attended the Vintage Trailer Academy in Albuquerque last year, so I've done my research.

Here's the strange thing: I don't recall anyone mentioning a 2x4 running down the center of the trailer. Since I'm not doing an entire frame off, I've been using a circular saw set t the proper depth with the intent of removing sections where rot is present and replacing. To do this, I am cutting strategically so that I can A. fit the wood in in sections, and B. using the beams as supports in the best way possible.

Is it normal to have a 2x4 running down the center of an Argosy? Here is a link to a picture. if you look at the left side of the photo, you'll see where I have cut away part of the plywood, revealing a 2x4 underneath. The 2x4 is in excellent condition. I was just shocked to find it.

Removing Floor Under Fridge - Photo Gallery
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:15 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Hey BentMetal, Congrats on your Argosy.

From what Iv'e heard and seen they did use wood 2x4's as sleepers up until 76
or so. I have a 77 26' Argosy which I have replaced the front half of the subfloor on but mine has the aluminum sleepers. A friend of mine did a frame off on a 74 24' and his had wood 2x4's as well. The aluminum sleepers on mine are about 2 1/2" x 1"

Zach
wzelkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:27 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
Alamogordo , New Mexico
Thanks wzelkins! I couldn't remember anyone talking about a 2x4 under the floor. At least I know it's original.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Wow, a new one on me too. Wood 2x4 in an Argosy floor? Who would have thunk it? But then one of my Argosy's had fiberglas exterior end caps, not stretched steel. They tried out everything on the Argosy line.

I wonder what my 20' 74 has under the floor.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:02 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
Alamogordo , New Mexico
Ok. I didn't think Airstream would use a floor support that wasn't steel or aluminum, but I also know Argosys were test trailers.

I found a ton of glass in the C channel when I removed the lower wall panels below the front windows. I was thinking maybe the trailer had been in an accident early in its life. I'm the 3rd owner, and the PO is deceased, so I can't ask him. However, his daughter, who was selling the trailer as part of the estate, was certain it hadn't been in any accident while he had it. It's o.k., though. It still seems to be a great trailer. I don't see any body or frame damage in the front, but the glass and the 2x4 have got me wondering.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:48 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
Alamogordo , New Mexico
Maybe.. but look at this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
The 2 X 4 was an after market installation.

Andy
I got more of the floor out and I discovered 2 2x4's bolted to brackets that are welded to the frame. It looks like a factory thing to me. The entire galley area has been reinforced with the 2x4's and another layer of plywood in some places (double layer DOES NOT extend to C channels). I know having another layer of plywood is REALLY strange because you'd think the floor wouldn't be level and the wood wouldn't go under the C channel properly, but that's not the case. Everything is level and tucked under the C channel as it should be. This reinforcement makes the entrance and galley area (the high traffic area) really solid. It's pretty cool. Please check my pics:
Bolted 2x4 S - Two 2x4's are bolted to a bracket that is welded to the frame. This seems to reinforce the entire galley area. Factory? Photo Gallery
Beam And Bracket - Two 2x4's are bolted to a bracket that is welded to the frame (this is a close up of one). This seems to reinforce the entire galley area. Factory? Photo Gallery
Old 07-03-2014, 07:14 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 28
Parker , Colorado
Our '76 28 footer has two 2x4 stringers that are 22' long down the center of the trailer and bolted to the crossmembers at each end just as your pictures show.

They were knot-free and in such good shape that we reused them when we redid the frame and floor.
Willie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 05:36 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Charlotte , Michigan
1975 - 24' Argosy

My trailer also has the 2x4 stringers under the galley floor...still in impeccable condition as well.

Scott
ScottVincen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:13 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Just to pile on, my Argosy 26 foot also has 2x4 stringers down the center and double plywood in some places. The 2x4's are near the center line, so they appear to have never been exposed to moisture, and are in excellent shape.
DDOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:59 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
My 73 24 Argosy has 2 2X4s under the floor about 24 inches apart fitted into sockets on the frame cross member at the back bumper. I don't know how far for'ard they go as the belly pan is hiding them.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote