Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #1

mason , Texas
1986 Argosy

i'm a newbie from Texas...we're looking at a 1986 argosy 32'...they're asking $5k...seems to be in good shape except for a leak around the a/c which has caused about 6 sq ft of the ceiling to buckle...i'm wondering:

1. does this sound like a decent asking price?
2. is the argosy framework (including ceiling) aluminum or wood? worried about wood rot and how to go about replacing the ceiling

thanks and glad to be here

jim m
saintmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:23 AM   #2
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Hello there and welcome!
The cost is all relative to comfort. I am not a gambler but a friend told me that you need to be comfortable with losing all when you make a bet. Thats how it is (I feel) for many of us. I paid less for mine than this one is advertised but I have spent more than twice what I paid for it and still have a ways to go.
As far as the sagging, it could "just" be wet insulation from an incorrectly fitted drain tube from the A/C. if the roof is in a similar condition then its likely something fell on it or jumped up and down on it perhaps.
Someone else might chime in but without (and even with) pics its really tough to say what the issue might be.

Bex
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:18 AM   #3

mason , Texas
thank you, Bex...fortunately the roof is fine, so i think it's a real good chance it's the it's the drain tube. we're still pondering, but your feedback helps a lot.
saintmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:33 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Dunwoody , Georgia
Hard to say without looking, but I think you may be able to find another or get this for less. My Argosy I traded a boat for that was worth a few thousand. The trailer didn't have any real structural issues, just lots of renovation/painting etc. Its been a lot of opportunities for me to personalize it and update things, and I have enjoyed (most of the time) working on it.

I have seen a lot of Excella 31s for sale, they seemed to make a bunch of them and they always seem to be some of the lower priced ones on the market.

I have replaced a water heater, A/C, counter-tops, flooring and lots of other little things. Have probably spent $3000 on it since I received it six months ago.

Only wood in my argosy is thin plywood veneer used for bulkhead walls and the floor is plywood.
mtbguy is offline   Reply With Quote