Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2010, 07:12 PM   #1

1978 Argosy 24
Greenwood , West Virginia
1978 Argosy 24'

We bought a 1978 Argosy 24 a couple of years ago. We got it so that our teenager could stay in it her last year of high school. Now we are going to remodel it and use it to live in next summer while we build a new home. We only paid $300 for it. Not a bad deal but we never got the title to it. The original owner has passed away and I doubt we'll ever get the title to it now.

It needs a good cleaning on the outside. I've read that other forum posters used water with bleach? Is that ok? No soap?

I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions, and am looking forward to this project!
Sharedspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:18 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
Welcome to the Forums!

I started with a garden sprayer with bleach/water when I first got Christine. She had so much growth on her I couldn't tell how bad the paint was, let alone see through a window.

When I wash her now, I use soap and bleach the top every 3 to 4 months. It's really humid here, hard to keep the growth off that white top.

Good luck and would love to see some pics. Keep us posted on your progress!

I had a similar problem with the title here. It took some time, but I finally got it done.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
--Mark Twain
Alwhisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:59 AM   #3

1978 Argosy 24
Greenwood , West Virginia
Thanks for the advice! I will get one of those garden hose attachments and try that. It's not to dirty but it could use a good cleaning. Eventually we will want to have all the window seals replaced and get her painted.

It's in great condition. After looking at how expensive replacement parts are, I'm thankful that it was well taken care of!

I have a bunch of questions but will wait till I search for the answers on the forum before I start asking more. Looks like there is a lot of great information here!
Sharedspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:25 PM   #4
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Hi there
If there is nothing on the trailer that needs to be killed or disinfected then I would tend to go with a detergent. Bleach has no cleaning power.
I would suggest you find a local janitorial supplier and buy product from them, much cheaper and more effective products than buying from the supermarket or big box store. Don't check price for these products, check the dilution ratio, against price. I use a product called Virox that is $28.00 per gallon (its a disinfectant cleaner) and dilutes as a broad spectrum cleaner/disinfectant at 256 :1 for hard surface cleaning. It's accelerated Hydrogen peroxide and might be called something different where you are. Another (the same product different supplier) is Butchers Viper.
Chemspec.com also make a broad range or products that can be utilised for cleaning our trailers. I am looking into these right now.
Hope this helps

Bex

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote