Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-09-2019, 12:04 PM   #1

1976 Argosy 28
Warkworth , Ontario
1976 Argosy Wiring problem?

Hi All,

I am new to this whole forum community and not entirely sure where to begin so please bear with me. Last summer my girlfriend and i embarked on finally starting the restoration process of our vintage Airstream, neither of us having any experience whatsoever but having a love for camping and a touch of carpentry skills from my side. The design elements i have no issue with but we are at the stage of the restoration where the wiring and power of the trailer needs to be fixed. The Argosy is permanently docked on a family camp ground so has not intention of being moved or travelling any time soon. I have replaced the 30amp plug which was used to connect to shore power and is currently running to a generator (And works just great) to run our 110v plugs.

THE PROBLEM:

The old converter and battery has been ripped out and the wires that went into the converter cut as well. So now we have a large gauge white cable (I'm guessing ground, as it connects to the chassis at the rear of the trailer), a yellow, pink, brown and purple set of wires that previously were connected to the converter all just hanging out at the rear or the trailer. i have no clue what they power and how to re connect them? Are these meant to be put onto a bus bar and in turn into a new inverter? how do i know which cable runs what circuit. I feel it is important to note that when renovating the interior we did not gut the full shell back to the exterior to be able to see all the wiring, this was not in the budget and will not be happening.

Any advice on how to get the 12v system running again would be much appreciated.
RickLaw8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 02:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The brown, purple, pink and yellow wires are branch circuits. Each should be protected by a fuse.
You will need a fuse block with at least 6 spaces.
4 for the above mentioned wires.
1 for the charge line from the TV
1 for something I may have missed.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 02:59 PM   #3

1976 Argosy 28
Warkworth , Ontario
Thank you for the assistance TG Twinkie, so to clarify, all these wires are positive and once in the fuse block can come out as 1 positive wire to the battery?
RickLaw8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Yes. Each of the colored wires are the positive side of their perspective circuit.
Think of it as the fingers on your hand. With your forearm being the connection to the battery +.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote