Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Airstream "In the News"
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-02-2013, 09:40 AM   #61
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Otter View Post
I contacted A2Go via their placeholder website. Mr. Riegel answered almost immediately, prompt and professional. The new website will be up real soon now, and he sent along a brochure. Drop them a line if you want to know more about prices. The fleets are stationed in LA and Las Vegas so far. I don't have any relationship with the company, but as many have said, it's an intriguing idea. Attached is a brochure Mr. Riegel sent me just a few minutes ago.
I don't see an attachment. Can I "charter" tech support for this posting?
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #62
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Midland , Texas
There aren't many of these companies on the east coast. I've considered this might be a good business model, IF you were to tow it for the renter. I just can't imagine throwing a 25' Airstream on someone who may have never towed before. We had our trailer almost 10 months before we towed it!

Just watching with interest, if you had a new Airstream and Denali would you rent it to some yahoo that walks in off the street? I rented Penske trucks at one point in my previous life, the condition that some folks returned those trucks was borderline criminal. I got one back that the renter had left his two large dogs closed up in the cab for three days. It was so bad we couldn't drive it, we had to send it back to the terminal on the wreaker. It could be many times worse with an Airstream.
SStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #63

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
SStar: My assumption is that they're going to have a pretty hefty security deposit and a rental contract that's all in their favor. Combine that with a pricing model that's likely to price a lot of people out of the market (the brochure mentioned river cruises down the Loire and safaris in South Africa... not your average long weekend getting the sales pitch at a timeshare for a free stay.) I think they're looking for people who can pay a lot for the rental, and pay a lot if they trash the trailer and/or truck.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #64
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
My guess is they are going after the European market, hook them here with a rental. I see circuits of RV renters all the time on my travels, there is a well worn route, JFK in NY up to Boston, over and down to Niagara Falls, down to PA, And out..about a two week tour.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbb View Post
My guess is they are going after the European market, hook them here with a rental. I see circuits of RV renters all the time on my travels, there is a well worn route, JFK in NY up to Boston, over and down to Niagara Falls, down to PA, And out..about a two week tour.
The southwest (hence a Las Vegas connection) has a steady flow of Europeans in rental RV's. I suspect that this will be a major portion of their business. There are lots of takers for $450 per hour exotic car rentals, so why should we be surprised that there will be lots of people looking at high dollar RV rentals for a change of pace. How is this any different than an expensive yacht charter without a skipper?
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #66
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Midland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
SStar: My assumption is that they're going to have a pretty hefty security deposit and a rental contract that's all in their favor. Combine that with a pricing model that's likely to price a lot of people out of the market (the brochure mentioned river cruises down the Loire and safaris in South Africa... not your average long weekend getting the sales pitch at a timeshare for a free stay.) I think they're looking for people who can pay a lot for the rental, and pay a lot if they trash the trailer and/or truck.
That's sounds reasonable, jet on over, rent an Airstream and mingle with the normal folk for a few days. Gather around the old firepit for a little caviar and s'mores.
SStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #67
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
NORMAL FOLK?????????????????????????????

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SStar View Post
That's sounds reasonable, jet on over, rent an Airstream and mingle with the normal folk for a few days. Gather around the old firepit for a little caviar and s'mores.
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #68
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
Here's what was posted today under breaking news on the RV Business website IRT Airstream2GO. Great to see.

When you think of it $5300 a week is NOT a bad price for a family of 4-6. I don't think you can get airfare that cheap to Hawaii fro 4-6. Then hotel, food and then you have the crowd. Let me think about this, west coast, no crowds and not enough time to count the stars in the sky, priceless!

here is the link as well.

Airstream 2 Go Offers Premium RV Experience | RV Business

In a completely new twist for the RV industry, former Thor Industries Inc. executive Dicky Riegel in May will launch Airstream 2 Go LLC, a company that plans to rent Airstream travel trailers hitched to GMC Yukon Denali SUV tow vehicles to retail consumers.
”Airstream 2 Go is entirely new for people who never have had the experience of an Airstream,” said Riegel, former president of Airstream Inc. and senior president of Thor, Airstream’s parent company.
Airstream 2 Go initially will make available through facilities in Las Vegas and Los Angeles a fleet of 20 Airstream International Signature travel trailers, offered in 23- and 28-foot lengths, with interiors by noted designer Christopher C. Deam.
Rates for a weeklong rental will range from $5,300 for people who just want to pick up a trailer/tow package and range up to $7,500 for a customized itinerary developed by Airstream 2 Go’s partner Off the Beaten Path, a Montana-based travel planning and outfitting company. Riegel noted that Airstream 2 Go would limit rentals to five days or longer.
”It’s a premium experience,” Riegel said. ”Many in the RV industry will say, ‘Wow, that’s a lot of money.’ But if you think about how unique Airstream 2 Go is, and the ability we give to visit America’s great venues in a quintessential way, we know there will be demand for the experience at the premium price point.”
Rental customers will be covered by their automobile insurance, Riegel said. ”Insurance coverage will be just like when they rent an automobile,” he said.
Riegel said Airstream 2 Go, in developing its novel business plan, surveyed 60,000 consumers about their interest in renting an Airstream and found a substantial number of positive responses.
Airstream trailer hitched to a GMC Yukon Denali SUV

”For all those people, Airstream 2 Go presents an exciting opportunity never offered before,” Riegel said.
Also as part of its game plan, Airstream 2 Go has an exclusive arrangement with Airstream Inc. to provide rental travel trailers to the public, which heretofore had not been available.
In California, Airstream 2 Go will offer rentals at the Airstream Los Angeles dealership in San Gabriel. In Nevada, the new company will have a 28,000-square-foot lot in a redevelopment project in downtown Las Vegas.
Riegel said Airstream 2 Go over the next three to five years expects to establish facilities in Florida, Texas, the Pacific Northwest, Illinois and New England, among other locations.

I think we all have it right and best of luck to Mr. Riegel in marketing a great product. Maybe down the road these will be exchanged out for newer ones at a reduced price to keep the fleet going like rentals. Something to keep the process going. Hopefully a few of those new Land Yachts will be introduced.

SL4BLLT
SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #69
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
A few years ago, we were looking at a used, one owner, Airstream that was about a year old. I was asking questions about it, and the salesman told me that they had sold it to a German business man, and actually pre-negotiated the dealer buy back price for one year later. I guess the guy had also did the same thing with a SUV from a local car dealer. He traveled around the country for a year and dropped the trailer and SUV off at the dealers and was done. I'm thinking that guy paid far less than $5300 a week. The coach was used pretty hard, we didn't buy it.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
What hitch?

Just idle curiosity, I'd love to know what WD hitch they are going to use.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:16 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Id like to know how you can leave the helm of a company on one day, and have all of your leases, business plan, website and infrastructure in place the following day?
Old 04-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #72
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Notice the EB 16" wheels on the 28 International pics.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:50 PM   #73
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Thats the difference between us workers and those who lead us.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrunes View Post
Id like to know how you can leave the helm of a company on one day, and have all of your leases, business plan, website and infrastructure in place the following day?
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #74
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadWest View Post
Notice the EB 16" wheels on the 28 International pics.
Exactly! He was the CEO, he's not going for Goodyear tires on his Airstreams either.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:49 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
Just idle curiosity, I'd love to know what WD hitch they are going to use.
Hi, I'm curious too; Could this brand of hitch actually be endorsed by Airstream?
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:28 AM   #76
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
One curious thing: the industry article said that renters were covered by their auto insurance policy. I'm pretty sure my (otherwise generous) policy says that any rental trailer is only covered up to $1000. Hopefully folks check that out before renting.

$5300 is a lot, even compared to $300/night at a resort + renting a Tahoe (usually $600/week). But you're paying for the experience. I'd still totally do this for an Oregon coast trip.

Tom
Old 04-03-2013, 08:28 AM   #77
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
One curious thing: the industry article said that renters were covered by their auto insurance policy. I'm pretty sure my (otherwise generous) policy says that any rental trailer is only covered up to $1000. Hopefully folks check that out before renting.

$5300 is a lot, even compared to $300/night at a resort + renting a Tahoe (usually $600/week). But you're paying for the experience. I'd still totally do this for an Oregon coast trip.

Tom
Tom,
It's bargain day here on the west cost...ill rent you my truck and trailer for a mere $4,000. Per week As an added bonus, you'll be departing from San Francisco and will also get to see the beautiful California Coast.
Matt
Old 04-03-2013, 08:38 AM   #78
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
seriously, if you want to make it a blue ridge mountains trip, i'd imagine i could do about the same
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:18 AM   #79
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
This popped up in Instragram a few days ago..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fa31583c98e011e2892d22000a1fb72b_7.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	182375  
Old 04-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #80
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Dennis is right about the southwest. If you go to the NP's in southern Utah, you will find a lot of Europeans with Germans a very big part of that group. Close to Vegas and international air service is available in Vegas. Also close to Grand Canyon. There's a long tradition of tours centered on western US NP's—generations ago they were sponsored by the railroads. An LA area location gives access to Cal. NP's, also popular with Europeans, but the Vegas location should be the most successful.

Tom, we are located close to those Utah parks and Grand Canyon, and then you can take the Loneliest Road to the west coast, but on the weekly rental there will be added a myriad of undisclosed extra charges and we'll have to do a criminal background check; the rental contract will be 20 pages long and you will have 3 minutes to read it—sort of like any vehicle rental contract. Price negotiable if my wife consents. A deal you can't pass up—a powerful Tundra and 25' customized trailer, both well seasoned.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airstream 2 go, rental