Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2021, 03:54 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sterling , Connecticut
Curious - on the Safari, could you have upgraded the AC if you wanted to spend the money or was that not an option?
sterlinghick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 09:43 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2018 25' International
Chino Hills , California
We love our Airstream. I think anyone can afford an Airstream. I see so much waste among the young adults who spend hundreds of dollars $$$$ to stay hotels, and do this often . Also those staying in the dorms while attending college . Would do well to purchase an Airstream . Then park in long-term monthly RV resort. And guess what they have a home that can follow them to their new profession after graduation. An Airstream $$$ less than a dorm cost for 4 years and you have a home you can take with you anywhere your career take you. Wished I had known about this would’ve owned an airstream many years ago.
Luke Grisott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 05:49 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Where it all started

Take a look back at Airstream in its infancy. We're talking the very early 1930s. Some AS scholars posit that Wally bought up the leftovers from the ill-fated Bowlus-Teller trailer company, but the fact that both companies offered an iconic riveted aluminum travel trailer in 1936 puts this assertion in question.

Bowlus offered the most advanced travel trailer to date (back then), by far. But...that's all he offered. Even the tiniest Papoose model was a high quality, riveted aluminum trailer with a high price point.

Wally, ever the businessman as well as a great designer, had begun his trailer company business building more run-of-the-mill English caravan styled trailers of wood and masonite construction. He offered varying levels of fit and trim for varying income points, as well as a build-it-yourself kit for shade tree mechanics of the day. The plans for the kits are supposedly what started him toward his fortune.

In 1936, when the Clipper was introduced, it was a high-end travel trailer for sure. But, Wally did not stop making the more basic wood framed trailers he had already been making years before. There were entry level trailers. The Clipper was for the rich, or for the aspirational customer who wanted to eventually trade up.

Where Bowlus failed was by offering ONLY a luxury product. He had no base model trailers to sell in volume. Wally succeeded by doing the opposite.

After WWII, Wally started up the company again, but gone were the wood framed trailers of the 1930s. Only the iconic silver bullet remained...and with a true following that lasted decades and decades.

The modern Airstream company delved into the Argosy line, a more cost-effective version of the Airstream which ironically was a test bed for new ideas and innovations NOT yet found on true Airstreams. Then the Squarestream, Basecamp, Nest, all of which have been mentioned here.

It seems the true formula that makes an Airstream an Airstream does not need to be deviated from. It would be nice to offer a true base model in the envelope of a riveted Airstream. Cut down on the whistles and bells. Make them lighter by going with a more minimalist design.

I am a proud GenXer with a comfortable income (I'm not rich...) and a STRONG work ethic. I got into both of my 1960s Airstreams for an initial investment of less than 8K, then spent (and currently spending) untold hours of sweat equity to make them new again. Airstreams are affordable, if you are willing to put in the time to renovate them. For some, this is not a viable option. My 1960s models are far lighter than modern Airstreams due partially to design/construction changes, but also because they were much more minimal and utilitarian...with very little crap tacked on to make them heavy and bulky. That is why small, vintage Airstreams are so highly sought after by campers and collectors alike.

I agree with the earlier poster that a new and basic 25' model with full kitchen, bathroom, and a double bed would sell well. What are people willing to give up to travel?

For one...we have never camped with a television. I can stay home and watch that.
Old 03-16-2021, 05:57 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
My wife and I considered a Bowlus Road Chief before we bought our Airstream. Our 23FB is about the same size as the Road Chief, and offers many similar features. However, the Road Chief takes things to another level. Each one is bespoke, created for an individual buyer. The quality, materials, and finish are fantastic. I’d love to own one. Ultimately though, I wasn’t prepared to spend $250K for a Road Chief when I could get an Airstream for much less money. I’m happy with my decision, but I still find myself looking through the Road Chief promotional materials that hit my inbox every now and then.

2020 International Serenity 23 FB "Sparkle Plenty"
2018 GMC Denali 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Airstream Club International #2805
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 06:44 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
However, the Road Chief takes things to another level. Each one is bespoke, created for an individual buyer. The quality, materials, and finish are fantastic. Iíd love to own one. Ultimately though, I wasnít prepared to spend $250K for a Road Chief when I could get an Airstream for much less money. Iím happy with my decision, but I still find myself looking through the Road Chief promotional materials that hit my inbox every now and then.

The modern Bowlus trailers are amazing. I have perused the sales materials and videos on the internet. They are WAY out of my price range. But here again, the new ones seemingly have more whistles and bells than a spacecraft.

Looking over some conversions, a Bowlus in 1936 was $1250 and a Clipper $1450. This translates to $21K-26K in today's money. Both top of the line trailers in their day, they'd be considered quite spartan today. But $21K-26K is kind of affordable.

As for modern...over $100K for a new Airstream and $250K for a Bowlus? It is quite obvious the demographic being built for today.
Old 03-16-2021, 06:50 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Grisott View Post
We love our Airstream. I think anyone can afford an Airstream. I see so much waste among the young adults who spend hundreds of dollars $$$$ to stay hotels, and do this often . Also those staying in the dorms while attending college . Would do well to purchase an Airstream . Then park in long-term monthly RV resort. And guess what they have a home that can follow them to their new profession after graduation. An Airstream $$$ less than a dorm cost for 4 years and you have a home you can take with you anywhere your career take you. Wished I had known about this would’ve owned an airstream many years ago.
I think a college student should spend time getting the most he can academically and not be saddled with repairs and upkeep of an Airstream. The savings would be minimal.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 06:58 AM   #47
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Grisott View Post

I think this is a massive oversimplification/generalization. Nearly 70% of students take out loans and the cost of a new Airstream is well out of reach of what a student loan can provide. Moreover, going the pre-owned or vintage, there will be costs associated with maint or maint that was differed, let alone finding a place to park it with basic utilities long term.

RVing is also not for everyone, even though a luxury or quasi-luxury RV isn't really camping/RVing, I know dozens of people that simply want no part of it and want to hop on a plane, rent a car and stay in hotels/resorts. This is as much of a lifestyle choice as ours was to NOT do that or do it very little.

Not everyone can afford an Airstream....many can't even afford a house and of no fault of their own in many cases.

Maybe I should stop buying/wasting money on collecting full-sized arcade games so I can afford that Learjet I've been eyeing.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 07:00 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
The Bowlus looks amazing. I just don’t think I’d want that much attention.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 07:04 AM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
The Bowlus looks amazing. I just donít think Iíd want that much attention.

That it does, but last time I looked it was mostly a high priced empty nester RV. It's virtually impossible to haul a family around in one, even a small one comfortably....but if you did mange to do it successfully, it would be one cool looking way to do it. Sans the cool look, and at a lower price and more real estate, I guess I'll just have to slum it out with Airstream.

I wonder when Avion will return.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 07:25 AM   #50
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC7039 View Post
Unless you own stock in Thor why would you care? It is not like property values. You own yours. Enjoy it and let other enjoy what they want. Are you offended if someone buys a SOB? Are you better? I just donít understand this.
Exactly...We have ours, don't plan on buying another, and the stock's a keeper.....for now.

Bob
🇺🇸

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote