Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2021, 02:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New Park , Pennsylvania
Hershey RV show…

We just came from the Hershey RV show.

Long, long lines of people. Better part of an hour to get in…and NO Airstreams. We looked, and looked…nothing. No presence from Colonial Airstream.

After walking around and looking at SOB I came home an gave my Airstream a hug. It’s not perfect but it is much better then what I saw being offered.

We stepped in a Tiffin 45 OPP bus $645,000. As much as I liked our 2011 Tiffin bus I would not make room in the driveway for a new one. The entry steps in new fifth wheels are ridiculous…as many as nine steps up. One super C had such steep, narrow steps I didn’t even adventure to climb them.

Again…Airstreams are not perfect…but perfect for us at this time in our life.

And shout out to Alde/Truma. They have a present at the show. We got to meet their new and growing staff. Given our recent experience with Dave and Chantal on our 3020 Flow tank replacement…thumbs up!

Tanner the tin tube
Robertson2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 04:27 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There have been some earlier posts about this. It's not clear why, but indeed AS was not at the show this year.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 04:45 PM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
It's a NEED thing, they don't.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-16-2021, 07:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
The shows are for brand building and selling. You typically won’t see Ferrari or Bentley at car shows or Palmer Johnson at the boat shows.
Old 09-17-2021, 07:27 AM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000pre View Post
The shows are for brand building and selling. You typically won’t see Ferrari or Bentley at car shows or Palmer Johnson at the boat shows.
Hi

Airstream has been at the Hershey show every year for many many years. Thor is there right now. Not having them there this year is very unusual.

Bob
Old 09-17-2021, 07:37 AM   #6
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
I'm getting notifications from a few vendors I've dealt with over the years informing me that they are not planning to attend upcoming trade shows/conventions. Mostly they're saying that the decision was based largely on the unknown safety issues related to covid. I'd suspect that there are also other factors at play such as the supply chain problems, etc.

Hard to draw any conclusions.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:59 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New Park , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Airstream has been at the Hershey show every year for many many years. Thor is there right now. Not having them there this year is very unusual.

Bob
Yep…we were at Hershey RV show in 2019 and that’s when and where we made the decision to buy an Airstream.

I can understand why they would not make an effort at the show. My understanding is for every one month that goes by they fall two months behind on orders. Why take more orders when you are already two years out. And listening to conversations among vendors, supply chain lack of parts is really put a hurting on everyone.

I heard today already predicting present shortages for Christmas…I don’t even know what I want yet

One more reason to enjoy what I have!

Tanner the tin tube
Robertson2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 07:26 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertson2 View Post
And listening to conversations among vendors, supply chain lack of parts is really put a hurting on everyone.

I heard today already predicting present shortages for Christmas…I don’t even know what I want yet

One more reason to enjoy what I have!
Hi

Theres'a also the basic question of coming up with the inventory to go to the show with. If everybody is behind on customer orders, do you really want to divert a couple dozen vans and trailers to a show?

There are a lot of things driving the various shortage issues. Some are direct results of the virus. Others are a bit more random (factory fires ...). It is not at all clear when (or even if) we will get ahead of the virus world wide. It is equally unclear how long after that it will take for things to get back to normal (if they ever do).

Corporations have spent at least 60 years learning just how important certain things are:

1) Inventory is *bad*, you should never have more than a couple days on hand.

2) Only do the few things you "are good at". Job everything else out to others.

You don't have to have an MBA to have heard both of those again and again over the years. There are many permutations to each of them. Indeed companies that didn't work this out went out of business and ones that did do these things took over this or that market. "Way back then" this was indeed the right way to do stuff.

If it took 60 years to get here, it may take a *long* while to get to someplace else .....

Bob