Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2018, 02:56 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Lakeland , Tennessee
Heartless

Bougeois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
The driver apparently left the tow vehicle running [to keep it cool for the pets] while they went inside to pick up a to-go order:

http://www.wmcactionnews5.com/story/...at-central-bbq
http://www.kplctv.com/story/38526695...at-central-bbq

The pets and TV were recovered.

Guess next time they will have extra sets of keys, so they can lock the vehicle from the outside, and still keep the A/C running.

Glad the family and pets are OK!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Thanks for the update OTRA15. My blood pressure was beginning to rise until I read your post. Never leave any vehicle running unattended. At 7-11 a show car had the same fate without recovery. If I see a vehicle running unattended, I tell the owner ''In Los angeles your car would be gone''
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
I must confess. I do the same with leaving my truck running when we duck into a store or restaurant. I have a remote start so I remove my keys and lock the doors Supposedly, if the truck break pedal is depressed and tried to go into gear, the engine dies. I know it it NOT steal proof. I also try to park where I can see the truck.

2017 25' Safari FB - ďFly Fish InnĒ
2010 F250 Lariat
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Funny how the victim gets blamed in the end. It’s like we just accept there are criminals out there and if we don’t lock up our world we are the ones who are wrong.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Google Areavibes and see how your neighborhood rates. Be safe out there.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
Funny how the victim gets blamed in the end. Itís like we just accept there are criminals out there and if we donít lock up our world we are the ones who are wrong.
Right or wrong is not the point, he was stupid and whether or not they catch the person or people that did it, he's going to pay a big price.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
I sometimes leave my truck running (with no pets or kids inside) but it is always where I can see it, doors are locked and Club on steering wheel. I just do not like shutting down a turbo diesel for a burger or fuel fillup when it is hot. Once my EGT drops below 300 and if we are going to be a while then I will shut down.

When we buy fuel the wife goes in to the restroom first while I fill the idling truck. Then she comes out and locks herself in the truck while I go inside. If the station is busy I will pull away from the pumps first.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
It is hard for me to believe no one saw this happen. This looks like a residential neighborhood. Hope they nail these jerks.

My guess is they were looking for money to buy drugs since the vehicle was found abandoned.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:11 PM   #10

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I honestly find it much more surprising that they thought the vehicle would be there when they got back than that some dirtbags stole a running vehicle. I'll shut down the truck and restart it in "remote-start" mode from the keyfob if I need to go in to the bathroom or to make a quick purchase when the dog's in the truck, so that even if some scumbag breaks a window to get in he wouldn't be able to drive off. Very few of us live in Mayberry anymore, and Memphis certainly isn't Mayberry.

Zero Gravitas ó 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. ó Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 05:45 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
Funny how the victim gets blamed in the end. Itís like we just accept there are criminals out there and if we donít lock up our world we are the ones who are wrong.
Would you leave your wallet on the table at a McDonald's and go use the restroom? Same thing...
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:29 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
Would you leave your wallet on the table at a McDonald's and go use the restroom? Same thing...

I'm more on Ted's side here.

When I was a kid, my dad and I were at a restaurant and I found a wallet with $25 bucks in it. Show it to my dad who first started asking around in the restaurant if it was anybody's. When he didn't get a reply I was psyched that $25 was gonna be mine! NOT! Dad takes me to the police station to report the lost wallet. Sure enough - the owner calls the police, retrieves the wallet and calls my dad to say thanks for turning it in. Dad tells me about this and I ask if there was a reward. Not only does he tell me doing the right thing was it's own reward, he tells me he turned down the $5 the guy was going to give me. "You shouldn't have to be paid to do the right thing," he said.

This from a man born during the depression and who (I learned after his death) was raising 4 kids on $6500/yr salary. He used to say, "I'm so broke I could look up at a dime." That $25 represented a full day's work for him - and so too, he probably figured, for the guy who absent mindedly left it behind.

I wouldn't leave my wallet on the table at a restaurant but would hope if I did, someone like my dad would find it. And likewise, if I had to leave the truck running for a quick in and out with Daisy staying behind in the truck......

In an ideal world (which we don't have, I get that) people shouldn't be a-holes, and when they are, we shouldn't blame the victims for the bad choices of the a-holes.

(Stepping off the soap box now for a camping trip )
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:52 AM   #13
Luminous

1983 27' Excella
Vesuvius , Virginia
In the US the insurance companies will pay if you leave your keys in the car and the car is subsequently stolen. In the U.K. they can deny the claim.

Also, I wonder if the owner received a ticket for this, as in many jurisdictions leaving your car running unattended is illegal.
LY007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:52 AM   #14
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
That’s a hard lesson to learn (in Memphis, of all places!). I feel for them, but I wonder what world they live in that would make them think that leaving a shiny rig like that unoccupied, running, is an OK thing to do?
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:04 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
In an ideal world (which we don't have, I get that) people shouldn't be a-holes, and when they are, we shouldn't blame the victims for the bad choices of the a-holes.
I really don't get the whole "don't blame the victim" thing any time someone questions an act of obvious and gross poor judgement. Passing a bit of judgement on stupidity is the best way to teach others not to do stupid things.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:36 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
. . .
Passing a bit of judgement on stupidity is the best way to teach others not to do stupid things.
Yup!

Well said. Hopefully this was a wake up call for the family. Plenty of blame to go around IMO.

The end of the stupidity scale is a Darwin Award, but fortunately this incident did not even get on that scale.

Have a happy and safe Fourth of July!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:31 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Heartless

I used to keep the truck locked and running with the AC on during the summer when I would run into a store for something. Probably still will, at times, to be honest, as my dog is usually with me and sometimes I need something from the store when it is 105* outside. But there have been a series of articles recently in the local paper about some local guy who did that while he ran into a convenience store to buy something and was subsequently arrested by a cop for leaving the car running unattended. I doubt if he would have been arrested, but he mouthed off to the cop, things escalated, and what might have started out as a warning or a ticket ended up with him in jail. The newspaper made a racial deal out of it, and it has become a small part of the national movement against racial violence against minorities by police. The guy was eventually turned loose, without charges, I believe. The point is, the guy evidently wasn't doing anything wrong, he had no idea that leaving the car running unattended was illegal, which is what started the argument with the cop. I didnít have any idea it was illegal either until I read the article, but itís something to keep in mind.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:36 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulnGina View Post
Thatís a hard lesson to learn (in Memphis, of all places!).
You sound like you're surprised?
Memphis is one of the highest crime cities in the country, ahead of NYC!
Blame the criminals, blame society, blame the courts for giving "youts" a slap on the wrist for car theft, and yes, blame the victim for not realizing this is 2018, not 1968....
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:32 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
I'm more on Ted's side here.

When I was a kid, my dad and I were at a restaurant and I found a wallet with $25 bucks in it. Show it to my dad who first started asking around in the restaurant if it was anybody's. When he didn't get a reply I was psyched that $25 was gonna be mine! NOT! Dad takes me to the police station to report the lost wallet. Sure enough - the owner calls the police, retrieves the wallet and calls my dad to say thanks for turning it in. Dad tells me about this and I ask if there was a reward. Not only does he tell me doing the right thing was it's own reward, he tells me he turned down the $5 the guy was going to give me. "You shouldn't have to be paid to do the right thing," he said.

This from a man born during the depression and who (I learned after his death) was raising 4 kids on $6500/yr salary. He used to say, "I'm so broke I could look up at a dime." That $25 represented a full day's work for him - and so too, he probably figured, for the guy who absent mindedly left it behind.

I wouldn't leave my wallet on the table at a restaurant but would hope if I did, someone like my dad would find it. And likewise, if I had to leave the truck running for a quick in and out with Daisy staying behind in the truck......

(Stepping off the soap box now for a camping trip )
SSM I wish my dad was like your dad. Thought more about himself than others. I shattered that mold and live the way you were taught SSM. I would say 5% of people would do the right thing...and that's a generous figure. Your dad slept well at night...my dad had nightmares of the things he had done. Bad behavior does come back to haunt you.