Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2022, 05:41 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
Phoenix , Arizona
Delivery Contractors Work Stoppage

I heard from my dealer today that they were told by AS that the independent contractors who have been shipping airstreams have temporarily stopped work, and to expect significantly delayed delivery. Does anyone have any details on the stoppage, and when it started?
Travelguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 10:25 PM   #2
Some Guy

1968 26' Overlander
2021 25' Globetrotter
Nashville , Tennessee
Id be willing to bet it is due to two factors: 1) Diesel price and 2) Diesel shortage announcement that went out to shippers from Loves and Pilot about a severe Diesel shortage that was imminent and likely to delay shipments significantly.
2019 RAM PowerWagon TV-Petrol Hemi
WBCCI # 22342
djarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 07:28 AM   #3
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by djarrett View Post
Id be willing to bet it is due to two factors: 1) Diesel price and 2) Diesel shortage announcement that went out to shippers from Loves and Pilot about a severe Diesel shortage that was imminent and likely to delay shipments significantly.
Would you have a link to the Love's and Pilot announcements? I've not seen anything.

Thx
Hans627 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 07:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
Would you have a link to the Love's and Pilot announcements? I've not seen anything.

Thx

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/wh...-out-of-diesel

https://twitter.com/GasBuddyGuy/stat...05967404900355

https://twitter.com/FreightAlley/sta...-out-of-diesel

https://www.wdbj7.com/2022/05/15/tru...hortage-looms/

"Now the threat of a potential diesel shortage might become an added strain on drivers. Pilot Flying-J and Love’s said there are diesel supply issues, and the companies are monitoring the situation. Several trade publications say diesel supplies on the East coast are now at the lowest in almost 20 years."
WellSaid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 07:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
So close, I really hope this doesn’t cause major delays. It’s only a day and a half drive from where I live to Jackson Center … if I don’t stop.
hikingcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 08:32 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Good. Why put this on the shoulders of independent operators?
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 09:12 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The way this works is a fixed fee for delivery. The folks doing the delivery are indeed independent contractors. Any time fuel price spikes, they are likely to get squeezed. I'd also bet that there have been adjustments in the fee, just not enough adjustment / fast enough.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 09:26 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Fredericktown , Ohio
It will be interesting to see how this turns out. Uncle Bob is right about the fixed fee and the "adjustments". Quick solution (as mentioned above), drive to JC and pick up the rig yourself. Certainly a discount should be provided if you have to do this yourself. Could rail be another option? Maybe, if you do not mind a little artwork on the outside of your rig, on arrival.
WBCCI #6826
We have Year-Round Courtesy Parking.
MMCMRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 09:30 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Wake Forest , North Carolina
Keep in mind that these reports above are referencing low inventories of diesel, about 15%-20% lower than normal. They reference "potential" diesel outages. It's a lot of hype. Yes it's expensive, but we aren't experiences outages.
27ftToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 10:21 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 27ftToaster View Post
Keep in mind that these reports above are referencing low inventories of diesel, about 15%-20% lower than normal. They reference "potential" diesel outages. It's a lot of hype. Yes it's expensive, but we aren't experiences outages.
I agree, hype to take your mind off of and try to justify the expense. If you're thrilled to be able to get fuel you wont be as upset you're paying nearly twice as much as you were last year (at least while you are still at the gas station/truck stop).
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 10:57 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
I'd also bet that there have been adjustments in the fee, just not enough adjustment / fast enough.
Yeah, the delivery fee went from $1650 to $1950 in October. I imagine there will be another increase coming. I wish I lived close enough to consider picking it up myself a realistic option, but with a toddler and infant at home, and living a 34 hour drive away puts that squarely in the pipe dream category. I feel for these contractors though.
Old 05-19-2022, 11:19 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Twin Falls , Idaho
Well, if you pick up your Airstream, I would think you can pocket that deliver fee, right?
Old 05-19-2022, 12:36 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2023 28' International
Mercer County , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trons4u View Post
Well, if you pick up your Airstream, I would think you can pocket that deliver fee, right?
Airstream doesn't allow for pickup because part of the delivery process relies on the dealers to clean/prep/fix the trailer before you get it. The Airstream factory currently doesn't have the ability to do all the pre-delivery tasks.
jeffb831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 01:04 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Just because the delivery fee that they charge goes up does not mean that they actually pass the increase along to the delivery contractors.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 01:35 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 27ftToaster View Post
My local gas station in the Atlanta area was out of diesel yesterday. At $5.60/gallon I was only going to buy 2 tablespoons worth. No need to hoard.
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 03:30 PM   #16

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMCMRET View Post
It will be interesting to see how this turns out. Uncle Bob is right about the fixed fee and the "adjustments". Quick solution (as mentioned above), drive to JC and pick up the rig yourself. Certainly a discount should be provided if you have to do this yourself. Could rail be another option? Maybe, if you do not mind a little artwork on the outside of your rig, on arrival.
Problem is the dealer you are buying the trailer from needs to do their prep before they normally would call you to pickup the trailer. Quite honestly, the good dealers do a lot of work on the trailer prior to you getting it. Airstream isn't known for always providing a good quality build on trailers rolling out the door. I honestly believe they don't want you taking a trailer that truly hasn't been cleaned and checked for workmanship and operational readiness. Nor does a dealer want you trying to do the work to fix problems and then screw things up. Who gets you hitched up properly at JC?, what if there is an exterior defect? Was it something you did in the delivery process? For Airstream it's a can of worms and they would have to do the dealer prep prior to that trailer rolling out of JC. I'm not sure if they have the staff to do that either. And the other end acceptance of the payment or financing. Are you willing to do that at the dealership without you seeing that trailer first? I know I wouldn't.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 05:24 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The factory delivery fee is the same for a trailer going to Seattle, WA as to a dealer in Ohio to level the playing field for dealership costs before markup.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 05:32 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Classic
Granville , Ohio
I live just over an hour from Jackson Center and am buying from Colonial in NJ. They won't even let me pick it up and transport to Colonial. I asked...
Roadhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 06:13 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
The factory delivery fee is the same for a trailer going to Seattle, WA as to a dealer in Ohio to level the playing field for dealership costs before markup.
Interesting, mixed feelings about that. I guess if it's a level playing field, why is it just not included in the cost of the trailer? Oh right, because research shows you can sell more products by hiding the fees, lol! I guess I get the advantage of that level playing field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhoop View Post
I live just over an hour from Jackson Center and am buying from Colonial in NJ. They won't even let me pick it up and transport to Colonial. I asked...
Doh! Bummer! I can understand why based on what folks said above. We also live in a very litigious society right now. Still a bummer.
Old 05-20-2022, 06:06 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Fredericktown , Ohio
The One Constant in Business is Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
Problem is the dealer you are buying the trailer from needs to do their prep before they normally would call you to pickup the trailer. Quite honestly, the good dealers do a lot of work on the trailer prior to you getting it. Airstream isn't known for always providing a good quality build on trailers rolling out the door. I honestly believe they don't want you taking a trailer that truly hasn't been cleaned and checked for workmanship and operational readiness. Nor does a dealer want you trying to do the work to fix problems and then screw things up. Who gets you hitched up properly at JC?, what if there is an exterior defect? Was it something you did in the delivery process? For Airstream it's a can of worms and they would have to do the dealer prep prior to that trailer rolling out of JC. I'm not sure if they have the staff to do that either. And the other end acceptance of the payment or financing. Are you willing to do that at the dealership without you seeing that trailer first? I know I wouldn't.

Jack
On one, of my 2 factory tours I noted the final clean process that was being checked off. They do clean them at the factory. I have seen all the nice, new, clean, and shiny AS's lined up for delivery.

I have been to JC 2 times with my current rig and 2 times with my previous rig. They have the talent to hitch you up. If there is an exterior defect it gets rolled across the street and gets repaired.

As for financing, you can close on a house using Docusign and no one is in the same room together. I think this can be done for an RV.

The point of my post is that the one constant, in business, is change. Flexibility, forward thinking, adaptability, and the willingness to modify a business model are some of the hallmarks of very successful companies, including Airstream. 10 years ago would we talking about all electric RV's, using teledoc, making deposits with our phones, purchasing a car (on the internet) and having it delivered to your home?

For every problem posed, there is a solution
WBCCI #6826
We have Year-Round Courtesy Parking.
MMCMRET is offline   Reply With Quote