Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2022, 10:14 AM   #21

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMCMRET View Post
The point of my post is that the one constant, in business, is change. Flexibility, forward thinking, adaptability, and the willingness to modify a business model are some of the hallmarks of very successful companies, including Airstream. 10 years ago would we talking about all electric RV's, using teledoc, making deposits with our phones, purchasing a car (on the internet) and having it delivered to your home?

For every problem posed, there is a solution
No doubt it can be done but there is an overhead cost to Jackson Center however to perform the service that typically a dealer does. I was told back in 2001 with my first Airstream that at one time Airstream did allow factory pickups....but that was years earlier. Why it ended I don't know.

Quite honestly if trailers can't be delivered, it wouldn't surprise me that there will be some out of box things that will be done if this becomes a longer term issue. But this is an industry issue since these delivery folks are moving trailers for all manufacturers and this will affect everyone.

That delivery of a trailer at the dealer outlet is a money maker for the dealer from correcting and charging Airstream for any defects found pre-delivery, to customer interaction with the dealers finance folks selling warranties, supplies, and fronting loans for the customers with their local and national finance people. In addition some folks need alterations to their tow vehicles that gives dealers other opportunities to sell hitches, brake controllers and other towing items. I can see factory delivery being a reasonable option for those living with a few hours from JC, but the question comes down as to whether a dealer will support passing up the ancillary income that the delivery process provides them and the fact that the customer getting the full service given to them at the dealership.

It goes a lot further than just backing up to the trailer and dropping it on the tow vehicle. Today that's the process that Airstream does today and when you do that for every trailer, the process is incredibly cheap for Airstream. Factory delivery adds all kinds of overhead and the most expensive component is the human beings to make this all work.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 09:22 AM   #22
SophieHaus

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2007 25' International CCD FB
2006 23' Safari SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
It will be interesting to see how this turns out. Uncle Bob is right about the fixed fee and the "adjustments". Quick solution (as mentioned above), drive to JC and pick up the rig yourself. Certainly a discount should be provided if you have to do this yourself. Could rail be another option? Maybe, if you do not mind a little artwork on the outside of your rig, on arrival.
Locomotives run on diesel. If there is a shortage rail shipping could also be affected.
Sophiehaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 09:40 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
Flint , Michigan
How many miles does that 34 hrs. represent?
Whamm511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 09:45 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whamm511 View Post
How many miles does that 34 hrs. represent?
About 2300. I was just quoting what Apple Maps said for effect, obviously it would take longer (stops, traffic, detours, going slower on the way home since I'd be towing, etc.). 34 hours is in no way reality.
hikingcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 09:52 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
The company absolutely refuses this or a factory delivery
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 10:36 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Perhaps the real reason the factory does not allow one to pick up the trailer: when the unit rolls of the line and is “released from production” payment for the unit is deducted from the dealers financial account. It now belongs to the dealership.

So the factory could not hand the unowned property to an unknown third party.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 06:13 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Perhaps the real reason the factory does not allow one to pick up the trailer: when the unit rolls of the line and is “released from production” payment for the unit is deducted from the dealers financial account. It now belongs to the dealership.

So the factory could not hand the unowned property to an unknown third party.

With a car and European delivery, the order is placed through a local dealer and all paperwork goes through said dealer. It’s not an insurmountable problem.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 07:08 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Tampa , Florida
Can’t seem to grasp the “ level “ playing field for Dealers concept regarding the fixed shipping cost.
I’m sure anyone on this forum realizes the greater the distance the more it costs to ship the item in question from its source location. So, I shouldn’t be surprised that living in Oregon, my shipping charge is going to be higher than a consumer in NJ, right?
If I were an independent operator and the fixed rate was, let’s say, $2,000, then I would take all the runs I could get to NJ , any day, compared to have to hauling it to Oregon for the same fee. Don’t you think?
The dealer is making money on the deal, even putting aside the delivery charge, I think.
I’m being a little ambiguous here, because I know Uncle Bob will be looking at this. And if I’m able to pass his scrutiny, I’ll be pleased. I always look for his feedback on the forum because it’s reliably dead on.
I would be more inclined to level the “field” for the independent operator on this cost item than the dealer. Must the dealer take a piece of everything ? Now, if you’re going to argue the “prep cost”. Then let the dealer list it separately as the car dealers do and go at it from there.
That’s my thought.
Coopdejour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 08:37 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' International
Poway , California
The delivery fee is a fee charged by Airstream to the dealer. In other words Airstream gets the fee so they charge the same to all dealers. The delivery drivers are paid according to the distance so they are not paid equally.

Just a thought that Airstream charges all sales the same delivery charge to level the playing field for all dealers and sales.
markuscis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 09:45 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Fredericktown , Ohio
I Agree, but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
No doubt it can be done but there is an overhead cost to Jackson Center however to perform the service that typically a dealer does. I was told back in 2001 with my first Airstream that at one time Airstream did allow factory pickups....but that was years earlier. Why it ended I don't know.

Quite honestly if trailers can't be delivered, it wouldn't surprise me that there will be some out of box things that will be done if this becomes a longer term issue. But this is an industry issue since these delivery folks are moving trailers for all manufacturers and this will affect everyone.

That delivery of a trailer at the dealer outlet is a money maker for the dealer from correcting and charging Airstream for any defects found pre-delivery, to customer interaction with the dealers finance folks selling warranties, supplies, and fronting loans for the customers with their local and national finance people. In addition some folks need alterations to their tow vehicles that gives dealers other opportunities to sell hitches, brake controllers and other towing items. I can see factory delivery being a reasonable option for those living with a few hours from JC, but the question comes down as to whether a dealer will support passing up the ancillary income that the delivery process provides them and the fact that the customer getting the full service given to them at the dealership.

It goes a lot further than just backing up to the trailer and dropping it on the tow vehicle. Today that's the process that Airstream does today and when you do that for every trailer, the process is incredibly cheap for Airstream. Factory delivery adds all kinds of overhead and the most expensive component is the human beings to make this all work.

Jack
Jack, I understand everything in both of your posts. My take is that times & things always change. Everything you wrote is true, but that does not mean that the current RV sales and delivery model may have to change based on the current macroeconomic environment. The push away from fossil fuels has a lot of momentum behind it and I do not see it decreasing, in our lifetime.

I referenced a car delivery model where you buy on line, and it is delivered to your door. Some work, some don't. The RV industry will need to adapt, just as the automotive companies are doing right now. Do I like it, no. Will there be change, yes. Will companies like AS adapt to the change, yes. Will it affect dealers, yes.

We will just have to see how this plays out.

Todd
WBCCI #6826
We have Year-Round Courtesy Parking.
MMCMRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 09:59 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Fredericktown , Ohio
Rail Transport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiehaus View Post
Locomotives run on diesel. If there is a shortage rail shipping could also be affected.
My suggestion for rail transport was more of a "Tounge-In-Cheek" response based on the multi-colored artwork I see splattered all over the rail cars passing through Willard, OH, every time I get stopped at a RR crossing, when I am passing through. It might be a viable solution, who knows.

The loss of the Philadelphia Energy Solutions refinery has pushed US Northeast inventories to historically low levels. Add to that, world events (take your pick), everyone getting out following the pandemic, a limited number of refineries, and it makes shipping by any means, that uses diesel, expensive.

I found the following to be a pretty good article on the current state of diesel prices.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/07/dies...inflation.html

As always, we just have to see how this all plays out.
WBCCI #6826
Old 05-26-2022, 01:12 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

Quote:

I referenced a car delivery model where you buy on line, and it is delivered to your door. Some work, some don't. The RV industry will need to adapt, just as the automotive companies are doing right now. Do I like it, no. Will there be change, yes. Will companies like AS adapt to the change, yes. Will it affect dealers, yes.

We will just have to see how this plays out.

Todd

That model is for used cars, not new. Used Airstreams can absolutely be purchased online and then delivered to your door. New is a different story, either with tts or cars.
Old 05-27-2022, 06:38 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Fredericktown , Ohio
New Cars On-Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by propchef View Post
That model is for used cars, not new. Used Airstreams can absolutely be purchased online and then delivered to your door. New is a different story, either with tts or cars.
Prop Chef,

I never want to give them any information because my email box will get filled, but this is one of the on-line sites I was referring to. https://www.nowcar.com I have not dove into this site, for the reason above, so I really do not know how this works.

In the future, I really think you will be able to purchase anything on line and have it delivered to your home.
WBCCI #6826
Old 05-27-2022, 07:40 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Prop Chef,

I never want to give them any information because my email box will get filled, but this is one of the on-line sites I was referring to. https://www.nowcar.com I have not dove into this site, for the reason above, so I really do not know how this works.

In the future, I really think you will be able to purchase anything on line and have it delivered to your home.

That’s an independent third party business and not one of the major auto manufacturers. As I mentioned there are already those same options for RVs.