Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Airstream "In the News"
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-02-2008, 01:46 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Dallas , Texas
Christopher Deam

I had the great fortune to hear Christopher Deam speak here in Dallas last Saturday. He was part of an Architectural Symposium featuring product design and architecture. Even though I've read the accounts of how he became both enamoured with and then part of the re-design of the AS interiors - it was very COOL to hear him speak with such passion and hear his personal account of the process. Even though I'm "vintage" I love those CCD interiors! If you ever get the chance, don't miss hearing him speak. paula
pcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:45 PM   #2
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
IIRC< the CCD interior came from his design at a home show where he was highlighting the use of laminates in a vintage Airstream. Also, IIRC, his interest in Airstreams was an offshoot of his work with his brother in designing the interior of his 400 SF San Francisco apartment.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:17 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Dallas , Texas
Mr. CCD himself ...

Yes, he discussed the Wilsonart project which became the prototype for the AS interior streamlining process - all of which I had rea about - but hearing the story directly was very inspiring.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:24 PM   #4
_

. , .
it would be fun to meet and listen to him or other designers in this area...

but they ALL steal madly from each other and almost NEVER reveal their true sources...

while giving credit to 'inspirations' and shared visions yadda yadda...

even b4 the wilsonart project was THIS brit thing...

i think he surely must have seen and knew about it too, given the awards and publication it received at the time....

and combined THAT look with the old sliding overhead lockers a/s thing...

we can thank 53flyingcloud (see post #13 and #23) for posting the link LONG ago (it no longer works)...

and at least one picture that is still here for us to enjoy...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f232...rstream-5.html

i've got a load of pics of this 90s project somewhere...

it's very cool, in an austin powers sans color way, baby!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:30 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Dallas , Texas
His primary vision was to bring the same modernity to the interiors that already existed on the exterior. I must admit I share this feeling that the wood interiors seem a disconnect to the slick aluminum skins. But, he said that AS at the time wanted to reflect a warm "mountain cabin" ambience on the inside - hence the warm woods and other choices.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Just to add another place to look and maybe hear C. Deam...there was an article on the Design Within Reach website and video of him talking about the design process and related Airstream inspiration. It was nice to hear him use his architectural speak to refer to the little houses on wheels. I do not remember him giving credit to the many modern designers and architects that have inspired some of his stylings but we all know who they are if one cares about such things.
These photos were taken at the "American Wanderlust" show at the Shelburne Museum in Vermont back in 2002 I think. It is the first modern prototype I Think...others may know more about it. Lots of speciality metals and special details not seen in the regular CCD's.

I like all the CCD editions and like the fact that Deam continues to modify it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ccd #1 001.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	57479   Click image for larger version

Name:	trailers 001.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	57480  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ccd#1 001.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	57481   Click image for larger version

Name:	ccd #1 002.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	57482  

safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
I'm a fan of CCD's design, but my personal feeling is that David Winick's is much truer to the Airstream vibe. The CCD is beautiful, but in an Ikea store sort of way (my kitchen is mostly Ikea...I'm not dissing anyone, btw) whereas Winick's is just timeless like a classic small handmade sailboat. It seems much more hand-crafted and I get a bigger buzz from that whole vibe...but I'm a fool for vintage anyway... still, I'd love to hear Deam speak about the AS project(s)...
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari62
Just to add another place to look and maybe hear C. Deam...there was an article on the Design Within Reach website and video of him talking about the design process and related Airstream inspiration.like all the CCD editions and like the fact that Deam continues to modify it.
I think Safari62 is referring to this video (this is the YouTube hosted version, no article)
Old 04-02-2008, 09:16 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Dallas , Texas
Fan of Winick too ....

I would LOVE to have a Winick interior! The '68 Caravel on the Vintage site is SPECTACULAR!
Old 04-02-2008, 09:17 PM   #10
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Christopher Deam is a forums member, but he has not been on the forums in a few years. His forums name is CCD. All of his posts are in this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...mbi-13867.html
His custom built 16' International CCD Bambi was stolen. To this day, it remains uncovered. I still keep an eye out for it.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:05 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
something borrowed, something new

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotochop
I'm a fan of CCD's design, but my personal feeling is that David Winick's is much truer to the Airstream vibe. The CCD is beautiful, but in an Ikea store sort of way (my kitchen is mostly Ikea...I'm not dissing anyone, btw) whereas Winick's is just timeless like a classic small handmade sailboat. It seems much more hand-crafted and I get a bigger buzz from that whole vibe...but I'm a fool for vintage anyway... still, I'd love to hear Deam speak about the AS project(s)...
I would agree that Winick's contributions are true to the "vibe" of trailers up to the late fifties in his latest projects of the thirteen panel models. Excepting his first I believe being the 1965 Caravel remod that is classic mid sixties esthetic. The success of that being the use of high quality materals mixed with soft colors rememisent of that period. Winick has also borrowed those same ideas of the period interiors and applied higher levels of detail that was not allowed in the original production line units.

I believe Deam has been very successful bringing the modern Airstream interior to match the level of "the promise' of the exterior. It is modern and purpose built, but with some connection to the past, just like the exterior.
I think that was the direction the Argosy was going in at least in terms of the design. The expense of bringing all of the details to a higher level must have collided with the idea because of the cost factors.
But now people will spend 40K for a designer trailer....so it's all good!
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:38 PM   #12
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I understand about the "cabin in the woods" look of the Classic, but the modern Safari line, the SE in particular, proves that you can have the warmth of wood in a modern package without the two being at odds with one another. IMHO, the SE kind of makes an 'east meets west' philosophy, figuratively speaking. The sleek modern meets the warm and cozy.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote