Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Airstream "In the News"
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2020, 07:51 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Oh - I should add for all you commenting about poor quality - just remember Airstream is part of THOR Industries - not know as a quality leader. At least with Thor's other products you get a price point that matches the quality. With Airstream you pay a high price for the Airstream "mystic" to get Thor quality.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:57 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I posted this thread in the Sprinter and B-van sub forum and it got moved here by ADMIN. The Airstream trailers may have better potential for off-grid use.

My comment about the irony was aimed at the Airstream VANS (aka Motorhomes) They have one of the worst solar systems on the market. Until recently they had minimal batteries. Even today with four 12V AGM batteries they are behind their competition from Winnebago, Pleasure-Way and Roadtrek. When you spend $200,000 on a van you expect it to be top of the market. The new Winnebago BOLDT makes the Airstream Interstates look like antiques. If I had to pay $200,000 for the base unit and then spend another $50,000 or more to realize the "potential" - I'd rather buy from Advanced RV and get a truly capable van built to my exact specifications.

I just read that the new 2020 Interstates will have the Truma Combi heat and hot water unit - a step in the right direction finally. That same system is in the Winnebago BOLDT but paired with the fantastic Volta 48V Lithium battery system.

Don't get me started about lack of quality in the builds by Airstream. Their designs look good on the surface but they lack practical features. They are the only B-van manufacturer I've seen that doesn't have latching cabinet doors on the overhead storage bins. Who needs remotely controlled window shades that don't work right half the time.

I was able to upgrade my Interstate to acceptable off-grid capability for less than $10,000 because I did all my own installations. Today's Interstates can't even go 24 hours without being plugged in when set up for normal use.

I am a bit confused by your statements....why are you driving an Airstream given your above stated concerns? Given what you stated you would be in a Winnebago. Pleasure Way, Roadtrek at least by now????
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 12:19 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post
I am a bit confused by your statements....why are you driving an Airstream given your above stated concerns? Given what you stated you would be in a Winnebago. Pleasure Way, Roadtrek at least by now????

My Airstream Interstate is a 2013 built on a 2012 Sprinter. It was one of the best available in 2012 when I purchased it new. But now eight years later I’m planning to replace my van. It probably won’t be an Airstream.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:53 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
Phoenix , Arizona
I dont understand. When I camp I dont want to be connected to anything. No wifi, cell service, satellite is fine with me.

As to glamping... We tent camped. And have friends with white boxes. I appreciate the extras that come with our Airstream.

I always thought glamping was having your meals catered.
nswhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:23 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Just read this article about Bob Wheeler’s vision for Airstream. He talks about some neat stuff including better off- grid camping. But there is little mention of bigger batteries for camping. Instead he talks about big batteries in trailers to supplement an ELECTRIC towing vehicle.

This is ironic from a company that has the worst off-grid capability in the market.

https://gearpatrol.com/2020/01/20/ai...me-technology/
Airstream is working with the new battery technology. I know this for a fact.

On my last trip to Jackson Center, I saw 3 Battleborn batteries on the floor of an office. When I picked one up to see how heavy it was, it was a shell. I ask what these were for? The reply was they were working with Battleborn with fitting this battery into the trailer.

Several months later I called Battleborn to ask if they had an installer near me in Texas. We had a discussion about my trailer and surprisingly they said that two Airstream employees were actually at their offices right now.

I also met an engineer at Alumapolosa last year that has a 30' prototype trailer with over $30,000 worth of batteries and electronics in it.

Airstream is definitely working on lithium batteries, chargers, and electronics for their trailers and how to fit and incorporate these into their trailers.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:52 AM   #26
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post

On my last trip to Jackson Center, I saw 3 Battleborn batteries on the floor of an office. When I picked one up to see how heavy it was, it was a shell. I ask what these were for? The reply was they were working with Battleborn with fitting this battery into the trailer.

Several months later I called Battleborn to ask if they had an installer near me in Texas. We had a discussion about my trailer and surprisingly they said that two Airstream employees were actually at their offices right now.

I also met an engineer at Alumapolosa last year that has a 30' prototype trailer with over $30,000 worth of batteries and electronics in it.

Airstream is definitely working on lithium batteries, chargers, and electronics for their trailers and how to fit and incorporate these into their trailers.
Excellent gizmo news...do we believe it will be at the current PP?
Or are we headed for a 200k classic?

Definition..."Gizmo", anything the owner can do cheaper & better.

Please...concentrate on "pride of build".

FWIW...2 BB's fit our Classic with room to spare.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 01-26-2020, 08:27 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post

There is no such thing as New battery technology.
The needle hardly moved during the last 100 years.
30 k for batteries and electtonics ! And thats called proggress?
I can do that with a 1k generator running it an hour for less than two bucks worth of propane.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 08:38 AM   #28
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
30 k for batteries and electtonics ! And thats called proggress?
I can do that with a 1k generator running it an hour for less than two bucks worth of propane.
WADR... An update of your BATTERY horizons is in order. Charge L/A completely in an hour?🤓
FWIW...we spent about $3600 for our Lithium up grade, 2 BB's, Boondocker Converter, Victron monitor, 360w Zamp portable solar.
POI...our LP Honda does a fine job when needed. Many options available. TETO

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 01-26-2020, 09:15 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
30 k for batteries and electronics! And that's called progress?
That is not for a finished consumer product. The cost was for a testbed or prototype used to experiment with.

I for one believe Airstream is taking the right steps to offer this to its customers. Will we be able to do this cheaper? Of course. More and more companies are offering a lithium solution for their customers. Why should Airstream be any different?

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote