Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2018, 12:03 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Hillbilly Hollywood (Nashville) , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoe7009 View Post
All I can say is WOW! Voice of experience with your own Airstream? Or just making uniformed suppositions?
Uninformed suppositions?

NO!

Just FACTS as "I" see em!

Voice of Experience?

YES!

My 1958 World Traveler, 1967 Airstream, and all but one of the Avion trailers I have owned illustrate my same experiences with almost all the aluminum trailers. All were sitting and rotting with long-term owners who did not care about the trailer. The 1 bright spot is the 1957 20ft Avion I purchased in AMAZING original condition from the original owners in 2017.

The very rare 1958 World Traveler (1 of 4) I purchased sat for YEARS as a fish camp on KY lake prior to purchase by the person from whom I purchased the trailer. The person from who I purchased the trailer bought it in 2005 and immediately gutted the trailer and the removed most of the floor for a well intended restoration that NEVER happened. The interior of the trailer went into the barn and there there the trailer SAT until my rescue in late 2015. Same for situation for all but 1 of the Avion trailers I have owned.

I also like fiberglass trailers particularly the CT13 and VT16 Uhaul fiberglass RENTAL trailers from the mid 1980's of which there were around 1700 built. I have owned numerous Uhaul campers and in "My Opinion based upon my purchasing, ownership and observations of Uhaul camper trailers as a whole is that 30+ years later most of those Uhaul Campers that survive today are in much better condition than Airstream Trailers of the same vintage.

This begs the question. WHY?

Better built? Better owner's? Better renter's? Who knows!

Having asked these questions I can tell you that most of these Uhaul trailers which were RENTED in the Uhaul fleet for anywhere from 4-7 years before sold to the general public are in MUCH BETTER condition than most Airstream trailers that you will find sitting around. This includes the rough Uhaul's sitting behind the barn IF you can find one these days.

Once Again. WHY?

By the way Uhaul could not make the camper rental business work either and they had the money, infrastructure and people behind them to do it therefore "I" believe it would be much more difficult for a small business owner to own and rent a fleet of Airstreams. Of course it is 30+ years later and maybe just maybe that business model may work well today given the huge number of people purchasing RV's in the last 3-5 years.

The online AirB&B works along with others for renting vacation real estate which is worth a hell of alot more than and Airstream trailer so YES I think an online trailer rental package properly configured and operated certainly makes Cents and maybe even Dollars for an Airstream owner to consider!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 02:48 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
I appreciate all of the concern, I wouldn't use my existing insurance, it would be an actual policy written for the use of a RV rental business. One such insurance provider is MBA Insurance, they offer policies explicitly for this purpose.

I'm not rushing into this like a blind fool, I have done a lot of research on the subject. I appreciate anyone with feedback that is based on actual experience rather than judgmental and FUD, this isn't the TV discussion area :P
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 04:33 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
FYI for all interested...........In the March 2018 issue of the Blue Beret on the back cover is advertisement for the new Airstream of Chicago dealer. First thing I noticed was their "Airstream Rentals" available ad.

Wonder what those rent for? Maybe its just the Class B rigs???
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 04:40 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the heads up.

http://www.airstreamofchicago.com/

Rentals:

http://www.airstreamofchicago.com/rv-rental
http://www.airstreamofchicago.com/chicago-rental-fleet

Fairly limited inventory, and no AS trailers shown at this time.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 06:24 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

The only Airstream trailer Chicago Airstream's rental division is showing available for rent is the Airstream "Basecamp" camper trailer. Not surprising given the size, construction and cost.

Here are their "Average" rental rates as shown on their website with the Airstream trailer requiring a 4 day rental.

At a minimum you are talking $800 in the Winter up to a $1040 in the Summer plus taxes, insurance and any other "Fee's" associated with your 4 day Basecamp rental. Not CHEAP by anyone's standards!

IF you are in the market to purchase an Airstream Basecamp trailer and want to "Try Before You Buy" given the Airstream Bassecamp's $35,900 BASE MSRP cost before adding any options a 4 day rental might be a good expenditure to see if you really do like the "Little Airstream"!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Naperville Rental Prices.png
Views:	264
Size:	318.0 KB
ID:	307598  

Old 04-01-2018, 07:16 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs down

Suggest not the Basecamp which is fraught with problems IMO — leaks, fridge, etc.. See Basecamp forum list of active topics:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404/

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:02 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
I find this discussion "Entertaining" as everyone who has posted discuss's the pro's and con's of Airstream rental with the downside being that the renter's will "Trash" my cherished Airstream that "I" the owner lavish such good care upon. What a croc of crap!

Most ALL the Airstream trailers "I" see on a daily basis are trash trailers sitting in driveway's, yards and fields on the side of the road waiting to be hauled to scrap or rescued by a fanatical Airstreamer! These trailers are not running down the road being enjoyed by their owners or others and have not done so in YEARS!

The reality is most owner's here on this board who do post or read this forum truly are interested in Airstream trailers, the Airstream brand and the Airstream lifestyle yet the these same owner's in most instances DO NOT USE their trailer more than 10-20 total days during the whole YEAR!! Remember Life? Somehow it always seems to get in the way of camping and Airstreaming!

IF that truly is the the reality of Airstream ownership RENTING an Airstream really IS a much better alternative to owning an Airstream even at a $1000/day for a rental!

Most owner's of Airstream's treat their trailer Worse than a renter would given the renters liability for repairs of the damage they cause! Don't believe it just ride around the countryside and look at ALL the Airstream trailers sitting around rotting. I am positive each and every one of those Airstream owners are proud of their Airstream given their trailer's current condition.

Maybe just maybe those owners of these "Abandoned" Airstream trailers are waiting for some IDIOT LIKE ME to stop buy (Pun Intended) and make an offer to purchase that cherished Airstream, haul it off and "Attempt" a restoration!
I am USING my 2012 Eddie Bauer every day and slowly wearing it out.... plus that small ding where I scraped off the outside shower on a pole.

BUT I am not its first owner. The original owner bought it from Colonial, had it shipped to Florida, let it sit for 9 months, then sold it back to Colonial. Guess that one was smart enough to realize that if he didn't use it, it was just depreciating every single day. Most people dither... as the trailer decays.

I approached a stranger recently who has 2 classic mohos in his yard covered with rotten tarps... who still "plans" to restore them.

Your observations are spot on.

Paula
Old 04-01-2018, 10:17 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
A few thoughts on Airstream2Go discontinuing the individual rentals. Airstreams are fragile and fussy compared to more traditional options. The International Signatures Ocean Air blinds get frayed and look like hell if someone lets them snap up once or twice and they roll up a little skewed ($100 plus for replacements). The flooring is very low grade vinyl and will be trashed on short order if people are walking around in shoes with sharp, small rocks stuck to the bottoms. The aluminum skin is not easy to repair and but very easy to dent and scratch, including inside.

For the traditional RV rentals, the condition of the rental unit can be middle of the road and the customers probably will be ok with it. However, when someone is dropping the big bucks for an Airstream2Go vacation, their exceptions would be substantially higher. Having it look at all shabby inside would not be acceptable.

I believe there are a couple of possible reasons that have not been mentioned as to why the are out of this part of the business. The first is the lack of campsites. I have spoken a bit a while back with someone that was affiliated with Airstream2Go. They made mention of the large problem they had with being able to get campsites around their Bozeman location. Most are by reservations only and need to be nailed down many months in advance. Someone calling them up in April for a July rental is not going to have much luck with a guaranteed site. The shortage of sites is the elephant in the room that the RV industry needs to address with the recent high growth in sales.

The other is they might have had a difficult time with insurance. With have a few rollover incidents (I believe 3), the ability to get insurance and an appropriate price might have been a deciding factor.

I have met several families one the road that were out with an Airstream2Go rental and all were having a good time with great things to say about the experience. Although the rental rents are above what I would pay, there are plenty of people that pay big bucks for the experiences they desire. For many, both US and International customers, the great American road trip is worth the price.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 04:48 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Mo Rental Airstreams with "No Tow To Go"!

If your in South Africa stay at the Airstream rental park in the sky!

https://granddaddy.co.za/accommodati...stream-trailer

When In Utah get your Airstream rental fix!

http://www.shootingstar-rvresort.com/-airstreams.html