Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Airstream "In the News"
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2010, 09:23 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
Airstream Ranch Wins in Court to Stay

Tampa, Florida
A 3 Judge panel ruled that the $100 a day fine against the Airstream Ranch
was illegal and the Airstream Ranch can stay. Built from 7 1/2 Airstream Trailers, the Interstate 4 location just east of Tampa has become an International roadside attraction. Like the Cadillac Ranch west of Ammarillo TX, it is a real eye catcher.
Built by Frank & Dorothy Bates, of Bates RV, Airstream Dealership, the glistening display was to celebrate the 75th Anniversary of Airstream.
Now Frank bates says he plans to light it at night.
See this link for the full story.

'Airstream Ranch' along I-4 does not violate law, judges rule - St. Petersburg Times
Old 02-13-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
Although I really like the display and certainly believe they should be able to keep it (their property, their Airstreams, their art, and it's way cool) it has always given me a little unsettled feeling because 7 1/2 Airstreams that could be out on the road being enjoyed are instead planted in the ground. Maybe someday they will be 'unplanted' and restored. Who knows?
Proof, however, that you can make a roadside icon out of other icons, I guess.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Even though I may like a particular film it always kind of bugs me when they blow up, burn up, smash up, @#$& up or otherwise destroy a completely perfect vintage vehicle in the name of "art". But the alternative is some kind of official censorship which I guess is worser.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
1969 21' Globetrotter
1953 25' Cruiser
Front Royal , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrell View Post
Although I really like the display and certainly believe they should be able to keep it (their property, their Airstreams, their art, and it's way cool) it has always given me a little unsettled feeling because 7 1/2 Airstreams that could be out on the road being enjoyed are instead planted in the ground. Maybe someday they will be 'unplanted' and restored. Who knows?
Proof, however, that you can make a roadside icon out of other icons, I guess.
I believe they all were beyond repair and were salvaged. There would not of been a way to get titles or fix them any way. In all re"ity he saved the trailers by making art out them. There are a lot that are just cut up and sold for parts or scrap metal. He was on an episode of thevap.com and tells his whole story and the battle he was going through.
nick6930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I enjoyed it as I passed by. I'm glad the court ruled in favor of free speech.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:23 PM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I'm not a fan of the art, myself, but I'm a big fan of being able to do what you want with your own stuff on your own property.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Seems like they were all going to that great aluminum recycling facility in the sky anyway, better to have them bringing some quirky joy to passing drivers in Another Roadside Attraction ;-)
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:33 PM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Think of how cool it would have looked if they'd just set them up in a wagon wheel, with a big (fake) bonfire in the middle lighting them up at night, like an eternal campout - now that would have been cool, and a fitting end for the old twinkies. It's a shame to do the exact same thing as the Cadillac Ranch thing - just kind of unoriginal.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:20 PM   #9
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Why Steph - you ARE an artist!

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Judges OK Dealer’s Airstream Ranch Display

Airstream Ranch, a row of partially-buried travel trailers that is a favorite spectacle among highway sightseers, does not violate Hillsborough County, Fla., codes, a three-judge panel has ruled, according to the Tampa Tribune.
The panel last week overturned a Hillsborough County Code Enforcement Board determination that the trailers constituted junk and off-site advertising for the adjacent Bates RV dealership at Interstate 4 and McIntosh Road.
Assistant County Attorney Nancy Y. Takemori, who is handling the case, said she was reviewing the judges’ order and had not decided if she will suggest an appeal.
Lawyer Luke Lirot, who represents Airstream Ranch owner Frank Bates, said he was elated at the decision by three Hillsborough circuit court judges.
Bates said he was “tickled to death” about the victory.
“It’s not every day that you can fight city hall, so to speak, and win,” he said.
Bates, who also owns Bates RV, contends the two-year-old display is art. He said it has been featured in calendars, travel magazines and music videos.
Nearby residents have complained of motorists crowding their neighborhood while using Castlewood Road to get a better look at the creation.
The judges found there was no “competent, substantial evidence” to support the 2008 code enforcement board’s findings that the display either was junk or any type of nuisance, that it was “open outside storage,” or that it was an improper “off-site sign” advertising Bates RV.
Lirot said his client feels the decision celebrates the freedom of the open road.
The Airstreams emulate the more famous Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo, Texas.
The code enforcement board had ordered the removal of the RVs and levied a fine.
Seven full-sized Airstream trailers and one smaller trailer make up Airstream Ranch. Bates said he may add lighting, possibly with colored lights, and a walkway made of recycled tires now that he’s won the appeal.

Judges OK Dealer’s Airstream Ranch Display | RV Business
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:58 PM   #11
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Never more true now than "One man's trash [junk] is another man's art."
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:11 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
Think of how cool it would have looked if they'd just set them up in a wagon wheel, with a big (fake) bonfire in the middle lighting them up at night, like an eternal campout - now that would have been cool, and a fitting end for the old twinkies. It's a shame to do the exact same thing as the Cadillac Ranch thing - just kind of unoriginal.
I love that idea. Here's a goofy spin-off: take that wagon wheel, and tilt it up vertically so you can see all the trailers. It could be a gigantic Airstream ferris wheel... all pivoting and lit from within as they slowly make a circle in the night sky.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:21 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
For those of you who have not had the opportunity to drive by and see it...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7092 (Large).JPG
Views:	175
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	96250  
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:21 PM   #14
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I don't think the issue was so much "is it art or is it junk" but more to fact is it advertising and does it fit the advertising structural codes. They already have a an airstream cut in half length wise on a directional bilboard.
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote