Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
Airstream a "no show"?

We just purchased tickets for the 2012 Louisville Boat and RV Show and noticed that Airstream does not have a booth. We searched the listing of all RV's at the show and Airstream was not even listed. What's the deal? Evidently, they do not need the advertisement that the show offers.....really disappointed.

63Silver
63Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:44 AM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Those shows cost the dealers a bundle. Our local dealer and some other dealers put on their own show for a couple of years rather than pay for space at the Convention Center. Most rigs at the Austin show are big motorhomes. There are very few products that interest me.

I have attended a number of the Austin shows and Victoria shows to help the local dealer talk up Airstreams (and recruit for our WBCCI unit). There are not a lot of Airstreams sold at those shows; most folks that come by are "lookie Lous."
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Silver View Post
We just purchased tickets for the 2012 Louisville Boat and RV Show and noticed that Airstream does not have a booth. We searched the listing of all RV's at the show and Airstream was not even listed. What's the deal? Evidently, they do not need the advertisement that the show offers.....really disappointed.

63Silver
Same thing with the Springfield MO, Boat & RV Show.

The local Airstream dealer has many new models, but didn't show, and they were less than 10 minutes away.

But after seeing what was in the show, Airstream would have been way out of the demographic for many of the show goers.

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:52 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
I guess I assumed Thor would have some representation with at least one example of the 2012 Airstream line. Who knows maybe Evergreen will be there with the new Element....
Old 01-28-2012, 11:54 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Connellsville , Pennsylvania
Same thing can be said for the Pittsburgh RV show. No representation for Airstream. In fact, there were very few higher end units there. The vast majority of the units on the floor were your low end Forest River, Keystone RV, etc.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:38 PM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs down

Be thankful........we don't even have a dealer in NYS.:
sad:

Bob
Old 01-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Same thing here. Attended my first RV show after purchasing the AS, and asked my dealer why they did not take an Airstream. They said they did not want to subject one of their trailers to people whalloping the sides with their curious fists, mothers pushing strollers into them etc. They also felt no one would want to purchase a show-model Airstream after thousands of people had walked through it.
Yet, thousands were tromping through some of their $375,000 Class A motorhomes.

As murrey stated, I think the demographics have a lot to do with it. Many of the goers are young families looking for a starter RV. Others are the retired or soon-to-retire extremely well-heeled types who fancy a Class A - perhaps are thinking of full-timing for a spell. Others own a RV - are just lookey-loos who would love to snoop inside an Airstream.

In short, Airstream doesn't find us; we find Airstream.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:01 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
No Show

This seems to be the norm at most RV shows. We have attended the Louisville show as well as the Good Sam Rally in Louisville where there were plenty of other Thor products but no Airstreams. We were at the Tampa RV Supershow just a couple of weeks ago and Bates RV had a very nice Airstream display. They even had the new airstream bicycle rack installed on one of the Flying Clouds. Not sure why Airstream is the orphan brand at these shows.

Speaking of RV shows. Good Sam is having a rally in Louisville this summer. This is usually a great time. 3000+ other rvers on site, lots of seminars, vendors, and things to see and do. Sheryl Crow is the headline entertainment this summer along with Burt Bacherac?? and some local bands. If you can stand the summer heat you can get dry camping for $220 or 30amp for $420. The entire Exposition facility is air conditioned. Year before last the entire vintage trailer display were Airstreams.

Enjoy!
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:36 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
Tryon , North Carolina
Smile Airstream at Florida Show

My wife and I went to the Florida Super Rv Show in Tampa 2 weeks ago. We went there to look for a fifth wheel but fell in love with Airstreams. There were about 15 Airstreams there and they were constantly filled by visitors. Had AS not been there I know we would be buying a Keystone or something.
Frank
kiddoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Welcome

Frank,

Welcome to the Airstream family. Hope you saved a lot of Moooo la!
Attached Images

fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:18 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
Our nearest dealer is about 120 miles away and they have not been visible at our local RV show for several years. I assume it is due to the cost.
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:53 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Surry , Virginia
RV shows in Virginia

My wife and I started in 2005 going to shows in Va Beach, Newport News, Richmond, Fredricksburg Virginia, and Columbia SC. We were just looking for future retirement and really thought we wanted a motorhome. We always enjoyed seeing the several Airstreams but thought they were quite hi compared to others. Over the years we fell in love with the Airstreams and bought one in 2009. With so few dealers around, without seeing them at the shows we might never have finally come to the realization that they are probably the only RV worth their price. I hope they continue to bring a few to the shows to introduce them to those that won't have any other way to explore them.

Paul
NukeSubSailr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:55 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Every time one of us pulls our Airstreams out of the storage lots we are creating a Show for Airstream. Nothing like a slab of shiny Silver going down the highway, or parked at that spot by the lake. Airstream should pay us for doing their work for them.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:59 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
All of the shows are regional, so it's up to the dealer in the area. US Adventure RV was showing at the recent show in Chicago.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
We are going to have our Airstreams in the Biloxi, Mississippi Boat & RV show next month. We wanted to be in the New Orleans RV show later in Febuary because there are no Airstrean dealers in Louisiana and we are only 75 miles away, but their state laws will not allow out-of-state dealers. So, there are many reasons why Airstreams may not be in the local RV show.
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
Well, we just returned from the show and overall we had a good time. There were many white boxes from several dealerships but alas no Airstreams. I understand that when we pull our Airstreams out each season, we advertise indirectly BUT the number one thing I hear people say about my airstream is "do they still make those campers?". Obviously, a little more advertising would not hurt. And one more thing, with the closest Airstream dealership in St.Louis(5hour drive)how many people in my general area would have any access or exposure to Airstream. Just a thought....
Old 01-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Silver View Post
I understand that when we pull our Airstreams out each season, we advertise indirectly BUT the number one thing I hear people say about my airstream is "do they still make those campers?".
I was on my way to work traveling through the airport and while going through security there was a gang of security agents standing at the end of the x-ray machines holding my laptop. I didnt know why they were all looking at it then they asked me "Mr. is this your laptop"....Yes Why? "Do they still make Airstream camping trailers?" They were all looking at the collection of Airstream stickers I have on the outside of my laptop....
They were floored when I said "Well sure they still make them, you can buy them brand new" They were in such shock! I couldnt believe that they didnt know you could still buy them new.
I thought everyone knew they still made Airstreams new!
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:55 PM   #18
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr & Mrs S View Post
I was on my way to work traveling through the airport and while going through security there was a gang of security agents standing at the end of the x-ray machines holding my laptop. I didnt know why they were all looking at it then they asked me "Mr. is this your laptop"....Yes Why? "Do they still make Airstream camping trailers?" They were all looking at the collection of Airstream stickers I have on the outside of my laptop....
They were floored when I said "Well sure they still make them, you can buy them brand new" They were in such shock! I couldnt believe that they didnt know you could still buy them new.
I thought everyone knew they still made Airstreams new!
Good thing you didn't try to sneak an Airstream through security...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:17 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
When a dealer can have one Airstream or several other brands in inventory and for shows, it is easy to see just why we have to seek out the AS to even look at. For us, it was a learning excperience with the other brands and well worth the wait for our AS ... even with below freezing temps and snow!
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:45 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
No question that Bill Thomas RV was the class act at Kansas City's RV show this weekend. We want to thank them for putting up with thousands of gawkers. Hope they sold some Airstreams for all of their effort. We were very proud of our brand in the middle of hundreds of 15,000-pound 5th wheels, $250,000 gasser motorhomes and cheap trailers, many with those fake fireplaces. We went to the show hoping to find quality RV accessories. But no luck. Instead of quality RV accessories, they had vinyl siding, Ginsu knives and carnival stuff. $10 to park and $20 to see the show and we left wanting to wash our hands. We love our Airstream.
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote